subframe removal - how to unbolt steering rack

Gus

Platinum Member
Hi guys.

Just wondered if anyone has a PDF of the Mk4 workshop manual?

Im going to be replacing the subframe that has the wishbones attached to it. Has anyone done this or got any tips for how to approach it.

My thinking is unbolt the steering rack then drop the subframe. I had a really quick look and getting to the steering rack bolts is incredibly hard.

Cheers

I've done it to change the manifold on a lift, used the guide in the how to section I was very aware and careful about securing the telescopic steering column after disconnection so the steering wheel did not rotate the rack move after separation and break the airbag clock spring. The bolt for the rack is a one time use job so order a new one before hand I reused mine but could not get the cap back on, change the Anti Roll Bar bushing at the same time because you cant really do it after and be careful the after market bushings are normally the wrong diameter so use genuine or Powerflex ones. The sub frame weighs quite a bit and two people would be best to put back in place and get the bolts started put the pedal end in first and then bring the front up. Putting the column back together I would take the seat out to get more room lying on the floor and the universal joint does not go down from the top bring it down behind then pull it on from behind.

What work are you doing?

Reactions: Gus
I've done it to change the manifold on a lift, used the guide in the how to section I was very aware and careful about securing the telescopic steering column after disconnection so the steering wheel did not rotate the rack move after separation and break the airbag clock spring. The bolt for the rack is a one time use job so order a new one before hand I reused mine but could not get the cap back on, change the Anti Roll Bar bushing at the same time because you cant really do it after and be careful the after market bushings are normally the wrong diameter so use genuine or Powerflex ones. The sub frame weighs quite a bit and two people would be best to put back in place and get the bolts started put the pedal end in first and then bring the front up. Putting the column back together I would take the seat out to get more room lying on the floor and the universal joint does not go down from the top bring it down behind then pull it on from behind.

What work are you doing?

Appreciate that, will find the guide now.

Its actually a really cheap 2014 Clio DCI I bought that has a bent wishbone. I found a subframe with wishbones and ARB on ebay cheaply so thought I would just swap the whole lot to be safe.
Thanks again, top tips in your post !
Gus

Mine is a 197 a 2014 would be a Clio 4 but I guess they should be similar taking the radiator sub frame off and strapping the radiator while it's out would help make the main sub frame easier to refit if on your own.