Suspension noise or is something inside the cabin noisy? (update: now with video)

I know.. Tommorow the car is going in and the front suspension is going to be taken apart.. I just hope when I get the car back my beard isn't visibly longer!

Nah, the turning is irrelevant, the only reason I turn in the video is so I can hit the little pothole at the entrance of the garage.. In the first video I missed it the first time

so its when u hit the potholes? mine used to do this it sounds like it bottoms out on the wheel arch?

Well I don't see how thats possible, its not the Cup version, its not lowered and sometimes the noise is there even on very small potholes or speed bumps..

yeah like a knock i know the sound but only used to happen when i went over massive bumps or deep pot holes. sounds like some kind of worn bush or something hasnt been tightened correctly.

keep us updated mate.

Well the car's been in the garage for 3 days now, the problem still cant be traced... The mechanics have ran out of ideas..

They tried everything, they even tried loosening parts of the suspension and driving around the block to see if it would make the noise worse, nothing they tried though could produce an audible change.

The only viable solution is to randomly replace parts until this gets sorted, or I could just drive the car hoping (?) it gets worse and the culprit is found...

I still can't wrap my head around this bad luck thing, I never was superstitious but things are getting out of hand lately

Did you bring the car to a renault dealer or independant?, i cant believe if its that easy to hear on a video that they couldnt find it, google 'chassis ear' its a tool for finding these kind of noises, most garages have them now and they work a treat, find out if they have this and if they used it,most renault dealers got this auto issued to them.

I put the exhaust clips on mine, shortly after but unrelated the diffuser broke (metal skin on the exhaust side came loose?) when the garage put it all back together they moved the exhaust clip mounts to the top instead of the side so these were then hitting the underside of the car making a clunck. Just a stab in the dark

I too still haven't figured out the problem. Sometimes its there, sometimes its not.

Yesterday for example, it nearly drove me crazy. The day before I couldn't hear anything.

Very weird and annoying. The dealer says that having checked everything, the noise is normal 'stiff suspension' noise.. Then why does it only come from the front left?

When I have time I will leave it with another dealer, perhaps they will have more luck tracking the issue down... :/

Hi

I own a Clio 197 with R27 suspension. I feel that i am one of the few people on the earth that knows what the problem is :smile: I had the same problem for 4-5 months. Renault had the car for like a month , even people from Renault France came ... No one was not able to fix the problem. It is a knocking - rubbery / metal sound , when the wheel expands in to a hole , or when i drive over a bump , and when it was raining - it felt like the wheel is comming off ..

The problem is the top bushing. I replaced them once with OEM one from Renault , and it had no change in the knocking. I am a proffesional rally driver and i have proffesional mechanics . We decidet to take matters in our hands.
The top bushing is getting soft ( unglueing internaly) , and the shock absorber is really hard and push/pull the bushing up and down violently making that knocking sound. I replaced mine with Kleber once , they are harder then the OEM once , but still ... after 10 000 km ... the knocking is comming back. Poliuretane shocks are the best solution by my opinion.

To make the bushing knock violently in front of the Renault Dealer - just heat them up really good with a heater gun :smile:

I hope to be of help :smile:

P.S. - i also have solution for knocking stearing rack , rear boot door , blowing doors ...... it is a great car over all :lol:

Did you check the videos I've posted? Is it the same noise?

Note that I had the top mount replaced by the dealer, this didn't solve the problem though. Is this the part you had replaced?

i have the exact same problem!! i took it too the garage i had my coilovers fitted and they said nothing wrong with the suspension but could be comign from the steerign rack? :S anyways i didnt believe em and took it to another garage and they didnt have a clue lol ...it sounds like its comign from my top mounts on my car but i dunno, going to be looking at it at the weekend so if i fidn my problem i will tell u :smile:

This is clearly a massively common failure with this particular model.

Although nothing appears to have failed yet in any components so nobdy can identify the fault.

Any updates on this? I can't be the only one pursuing a solution to this very annoying problem..

Now that the temperatures have gone up, the noise is more prevalent and its doing my head in.. I can now predict with 99% accuracy when the noise will pop up depending on the state of the road.

Everyone who has this problem and has ruled out the usual suspension components as the culprits should record a video with the noise so we can compare them and proceed from there, Sherlock Holmes style! :smile:

tchalikias I was just reading your thread hoping for a solution when you PM'd me. I had my car in the garage on Thursday and had no joy. The knocking can happen 10 -15 knocks in a row when driving over quite smooth ground. I can only hear it when doing 35mph and below. I can feel no movement in the wheel. The garage I had it in said they checked everything and nothing was loose.

I will try and get a few recordings of the noise. I'm tempted to take the glove box out to see if I can pin point the noise any clearer! Out of interest has anyone contacted RUK or posted on renaultsport.co.uk ? I've also noticed when someone is in the passenger seat the noise isn't quite as loud

@adam I don't get the noise on smooth ground.. I think our noises have different sources. Posting a video recording of your noise will clear things up. Sounds like the noise in your case could be cabin-related.

The noise I get is a distinct metallic 'CLOOP' from the front left, its heard when the suspension is 'unloaded' - meaning that the noise is not heard when the wheel hits a speed bump and the suspension is compressed, but after the speed bump as it uncompresses while the wheel returns to level ground.

I think this is the reason I can't hear the noise on all anomalies - only the ones where there is a substantial drop make the problem audible.

Whatever it is, its something that is on the left side of the car on both LHD and RHD models and is not related to the shock, the spring or the top mount.

Tommorow I'll have some free time and will do some more experimenting, I really hope to get this sorted as I'm quite OCD about most things :/

@BREENY BOY: I have checked the exhaust, its mounts, the heat shield, pretty much everything that could be contacting the underside of the car. No joy.