Suspension noise or is something inside the cabin noisy? (update: now with video)

Small update: the front shocks were replaced under warranty. Absolutely no change in noise (however the new shocks are a little stiffer which is nice, Renault use 197 front shocks according to the ACTIS solution mentioned here in the forum!)

Having had both the top mount and the shock replaced, I think we can now safely rule out the suspension as the culprit.

A user on another forum mentioned the brake caliper as a possible source for the noise. If it was the brake caliper, however, I shouldn't be getting the noise when using the brakes, right?

Hi!
I have same problem in my 2007 197. I am still pretty sure sound comes from rear section of the car. My car sound is like "clonk", "clonk" I can only hear it when driving in 1 gear about walking speed.
Sound is audible when i drive over some little bump, always "clonk" from the boot. I suspected first that boot lid do not close firmly enough and its loose but no, it is not that.. I can take some video today evening and upload it to youtube.

A video would be great. However I think your problem is different (most likely something to do with the exhaust). On my 200 the noise originates from the front left side of the car (more specifically the wheel area). It is easier to spot with the windows up. Perhaps this is an important clue - a noise that is clearly heard inside the cabin, but isn't audible from outside (it gets drowned out by engine noise etc.)

A video would be great. However I think your problem is different (most likely something to do with the exhaust). On my 200 the noise originates from the front left side of the car (more specifically the wheel area). It is easier to spot with the windows up. Perhaps this is an important clue - a noise that is clearly heard inside the cabin, but isn't audible from outside (it gets drowned out by engine noise etc.)

I¨ll take the video later today. Thanks for the tip, i have to check exhaust mounts when i get car up.

Hi!
I have same problem in my 2007 197. I am still pretty sure sound comes from rear section of the car. My car sound is like "clonk", "clonk" I can only hear it when driving in 1 gear about walking speed.
Sound is audible when i drive over some little bump, always "clonk" from the boot. I suspected first that boot lid do not close firmly enough and its loose but no, it is not that.. I can take some video today evening and upload it to youtube.

That is your exhaust mounts by the sound of it. There's not alot of tolerance before they start letting something clunk. Like you say only at low speed.

That is your exhaust mounts by the sound of it. There's not alot of tolerance before they start letting something clunk. Like you say only at low speed.

Okay. Can you straight help me what parts i have to replace?
Or do i inspect it first, i think that i should figure out it pretty quick what mount is too loose.

Lift the car up and check for excessive play on the exhaust mounts (they parts that secure the exhaust to the underside of the car). Try moving the exhaust by hand and see if you can reproduce the noise.

Really does sound like an exhaust clonk, otherwise id check all the suspension ball joints/link arms if my shocks had been replaced & there was still a noise

Is the clonk sound slightly delayed or instant with suspension going over a bump?

If delayed i'd say its the exhaust or body, if its instant then its most likely suspension

The noise is indeed 'clonkish' and instant, and is heard when the suspension is unloaded (i.e. not when the spring & shock are compressed, but when they decompress). For example, when coming down a ramp, where there is a small gap between the end of the ramp and the road you can hear it clearly.

All suspension components have been triple checked. The noise cannot be reproduced with the car up on stands. :/

Okay. Can you straight help me what parts i have to replace?
Or do i inspect it first, i think that i should figure out it pretty quick what mount is too loose.

You wont need to replace any parts mate just look at the mounts and where the exhaust is knocking on and straighten/adjust it out. It was frustrating for me too when i had the problem. For weeks and weeks i spent pootling through streets trying to figure out what the issue was always looking down to my side by the handbrake or further back.

Took it to Renault and they sorted it for me. Been fine ever since.

You wont need to replace any parts mate just look at the mounts and where the exhaust is knocking on and straighten it out. It was frustrating for me too when i had the problem. For weeks and weeks i spent pootling through streets trying to figure out what the issue was always looking down to my side by the handbrake or further back.

Took it to Renault and they sorted it for me. Been fine ever since.

The exhaust mount located sort of midway down the car is the one that needs adjusting iirc, a friend did it for me and it was literally a 5 minute job.

As Dan said, once it's been adjusted it should sort the problem out:thumbup:

The exhaust mount located sort of midway down the car is the one that needs adjusting iirc, a friend did it for me and it was literally a 5 minute job.

As Dan said, once it's been adjusted it should sort the problem out:thumbup:

Thats the one! Silly how something so small can be such an ANNOYING problem!

I dunno about anyone else but when my car has a niggle with it like that i just hate it......to the point where if i cant find out what it is pretty soon it will be in the garage getting it found out and wont be leaving until its sorted.

Hi again

My problem is solved now. I put couple of layers electronic tape in lock mechanism opposite part in boot.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've just bought a 197 R27 and it has this exact problem as laid out by the OP.

It's been to Renault and they've replaced the steering rack, front shocks, drop links, tie rods, engine mounts and some other things, and the noise is still just as apparent. I've spent on fortune on this and no closer to a solution. I've checked the exhaust mountings too, and nothing suspect there. I tried to PM the OP but his inbox is full and won't accept new messages.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You will only find the fault when all four wheels are on the ground with the full weight on them. Two people are handy as well one to make the noise and the other to locate it I had a knock left front in traffic slow speed and pulling away and after all lower ball joints, all link rods, new genuine front shocks and used genuine front springs changed, also top torque/upper mount and bottom engine mount changed

By rocking the car left to right by pushing on the drivers and passengers A pillar I could get a noise but was never close enough to locate it with the steering straight ahead.
Then I opened the front doors stood on the door sill and bounced up and down I got the noise again like a dry creek again not close enough to locate steering straight ahead.
Next I pushed on the top of the engine at 45 degrees to the direction of travel and got a small but similar noise steering straight ahead.
Last I got someone to stand at the front side and I bounced up and down on the passengers sill. (he said the noise was coming from the top front shock strut)
at home I tried again with the steering at full lock both ways no noise and only when the wheels were straight ahead.

I bought an SKF Suspension kit top mount with 2x top mounts and 2x top bearings for about £60 I have only changed the left one and the noise has gone and the turn in and feel to the right has greatly improved as I found also some play/ rocking on the old bearing. Now it's a bit of a job removing the shock and replacing the two top parts and I found the spring did not seat properly when compressing it on the car so I removed the hub assembly pushed the drive shaft out of the bearing and took hub shock and all out in one go changed the top strut and bearing on the floor then put it back into the car.
IMG_0262.jpg

Some pictures of what you are looking for.
IMG_0263.jpg
Hard to see but the red arrow shows a crack in the rubber but change the bearing as well as it rocks due to wear in it and for the work involved and the price both should be replaced at the same time. Hope this helps someone track a problem down I thought it might be the roll bar or top gearbox mount but this fixed my knock and helped the cornering big time on that side (more support less play) I'll get round to changing the right hand one next dry day. A top Renault mechanic told me the car needs to be on the ground under its own weight to find these problems with the car in the air and the suspension pulling down you can pry at the hub all you want you cant see the play at the top of the shock.

So.... Is this what we are going with. I have had this noise for some time on the 197. I think this is now the culpret to some dodgy steering problems.
It feels as though the steering twitches, even when at speed, while on normal road with dips or bumps. And generally when I change from direction to straight and back in direction. I thought it might be the inner tie rod and ends, also got this tracked. Replaced them but still there.

Then I noticed that the knocking noise from the front, prodominately from the right, was felt through the steering wheel and one of my mates noticed the noise. It happens most when I slow down and turn into my road, at the road mouth there is a small bricked section and vibrates 5/6 times through the steering but is heard 10/15 times. It's been bugging me for months, so if this is the solution this is great news.
Someone also suggested it could be a loose bolt/s on the sub frame. Not looked into this yet.

I'm also getting the rear knocking noise, suspected the boot latch and tried re aligning it. That didn't work, so will check the exhaust clips. I had a mate push on some of the panels on the boot interior whilst driving slowly to see if he could locate the noise, so could be the seats as well.
Should mention that I changed to a Miltec system and never noticed this noise before the replacement. Tried jigging the rear diffuser and even cut a small piece out of the heat shield where it was making contact with the exhaust but that didn't work.

My car seems to have developed this issue on front left too - just replaced the lower wishbone, lower hub joint and anti-rotation bar which all had play but the knock is still there!

Shocked as everything seemed tight! Guess I'll have to get it back up and test the top mounts now! :/

My car seems to have developed this issue on front left too - just replaced the lower wishbone, lower hub joint and anti-rotation bar which all had play but the knock is still there!

Shocked as everything seemed tight! Guess I'll have to get it back up and test the top mounts now! :/

I changed my top mounts and mine still knocks. I don't think I'll ever find the cause...