Tailgate / Bootlid - Cup Spoiler

A car I've been looking at has a GT spoiler fitted and I've been trying to find out if it's a straight swap for a cup spoiler or not? Some people say it requires a non-GT fitted tailgate, some people say it will fit fine.

If not, can I simply buy any tailgate from a 197/200 along with the top brakelight section and fit the cup spoiler to that?

Bit of a pain to do it that way but there are a few tailgates on eBay for under £100. Some are from a 197, some from a 200, or some from a Clio with 5 doors. So I wanted to double check, if I definitely need a new tailgate, can I use any?

Thanks!

Yes, the Cup spoiler will fit on any standard 197/200 tailgate. AFAIK the 200 and 197 are the same...

Thanks! But the Cup spoiler WON'T fit on a 200 with a GT spoiler? Or can I remove the GT spoiler and fit the Cup spoiler in its place?

From what I remember reading, the GT spoiler/tailgate has a different (possibly integrated?) brake light, so I don't think it's a straightforward swap. It could well be that a replacement tailgate is your best bet, if the car you buy has a GT one on.

A few people have said a new tailgate is required whilst others have said you can swap them. Could do with finding out! The car I'm looking to buy does have a GT spoiler and I do prefer the Cup spoiler but it means buying a tailgate (£100), buying the cup spoiler (£200) and then having them painted (£???).

It would be an expensive way to get a Cup spoiler, I must admit! I seem to remember seeing a thread fairly recently about the GT spoiler debate, but I can't think where it was... Perhaps someone else knows who's reading this thread??

Bit of a tricky one, theres a lot of conflicting information about these, over on Renaultsports official forum there was a big thread, which suggested that it could be removed without needing a new tailgate.

I saw those threads @Jimmy and then read elsewhere, as @Chris says, that you don't need a new tailgate.

I might just take the GT spoiler off, take some photos and post on here. Someone must be able to tell if I take a few photos with the GT spoiler off! No money spent and I don't mind unbolting a few bits.

I saw those threads @Jimmy and then read elsewhere, as @Chris says, that you don't need a new tailgate.

I might just take the GT spoiler off, take some photos and post on here. Someone must be able to tell if I take a few photos with the GT spoiler off! No money spent and I don't mind unbolting a few bits.

Sounds like your best bet to begin with, and at least you'll have the exact information rather than someone's guesswork :smile:

Reactions: tsinc80697
I have a tailgate from a GT, when I tried to sell it a guy asked to buy it but only wanted the spoiler and asked if i'd post him just the spoiler.

I did and now have a spoiler less tailgate in my unit, I can confirm that the top of the tailgate is different and you'd definitely not get any other spoiler on that tailgate as it has a recess were the spoiler goes, I did have some pics of it somewhere.

Reactions: sevenfourate