tcw's Clio 197

tcw

Paid Member
Hey people.
Picked up a black Clio 197 at the weekend, from @welshname (a really nice bloke). I've wanted to startup a thread, but wanted to take my own photos first, the weather isn't allowing it so I shall use the photos he sent me for now.

My plans are as follows
  • New Plates... I don't like the screws and one of the covers is missing.
  • Sort timing belt, it's been due for a couple of months (booked into Engine Dynamics, going to get belt, water pump and dephaser pulley done for peace of mind). I wanted to do it myself but with the weather and lack of time, it makes sense to book it in (and the price is pretty reasonable IMO). Going to pray it lasts until then
  • Service! Ordered the following from Renault Parts Direct, no air filter as it's got an ITG. Going to try and get this done before it goes to Engine Dynamics on the 21st.
    • Oil
    • Oil Filter
    • Pollen Filter
    • Gearbox Oil
    • Spark Plugs
  • Sort out the lights... it's got Xenons and they seem to be messing around with auto adjusting, and end up pointing at the floor. Occasionally they work OK, so I wonder if the connection to the sensor is a bit crappy... need to look at this as it's really irritating.
  • Proper clean, wax and polish. I've already chucked a bit of trim restorer on the black bits, but would like to give the car a good wax before the really bad weather sets in.
30894465865_da40d3852c_z.jpg
30258966873_a1d6be1d6a_z.jpg
30258966713_c7d93b59fc_z.jpg
30894490125_d2766910dd_z.jpg
30806487391_366851f709_z.jpg

Nice looking car, good work on starting a progress thread! Sounds like you've made some good plans already!

Cheers Jimmy - for now most of my plans are getting it 100% mechanically (need to strip down and look at the brakes, change fluid etc).

Just found an opportunity to go and put the plates on. Really pleased with the quality - £14.94 delivered from eBay (hardridden), includes all the required markings to be legal (whilst keeping them small and discreet). Beats paying £38+ for the equivalent from Halfords like I did for my previous car, infact I think the quality of these is better.

Front Before
30596975010_b92f3af017_z.jpg
Front After
30862242116_1c0c897d71_z.jpg

Rear Before
30781940872_ea7cb316da_z.jpg
Rear After
30596973780_29af1b3785_z.jpg

Like the plates. Sounds like you like to tinker. Hope u have deep pockets:wink:

Hi there....and a warm welcome from us to you and your lovely 197 :smile:

Nice start to a progress thread and your in safe hands with Engine Dynamics on the belt change etc......

Welcome along to the forum!

Good work getting the service bits out the way first! Easy to get carried out with mods without sorting that out.

welcome..hope she serves you well..also he has a progress thread on here so you can check that up..

Cheers for the support everyone. It appears that welshname looked after it, I got it for a steal (IMO) too.

My order from Renault Parts Direct should arrive tomorrow, I'm really impressed with the pricing! I spent £87 for oil, filter, pollen filter, gearbox oil - which I thought was pretty fair for all genuine parts, and the Renault approved oil. I intend to service the car every 6000 miles, and the price makes it more than easy to justify.

Yep it's going to need a bit of money spent on it before Christmas, but I honestly don't mind given I bought it knowing it needed a little work. A nice delivery arrived this morning!

30275442453_552ca79a15_z.jpg

Cant beat a little bit of fresh lubrication !

My gearbox was recently somewhat "transformed" fel-wise with an oil change, and i'm sure my engine sounded slightly quieter on start-up with an oil and filter change.

Your car will love you back too........... :smile:

Cant beat a little bit of fresh lubrication !

My gearbox was recently somewhat "transformed" fel-wise with an oil change, and i'm sure my engine sounded slightly quieter on start-up with an oil and filter change.

Your car will love you back too........... :smile:

Doing an oil change myself a week on Monday, will be hoping to reap the benefits through the winter months!

Spark plugs as well not to mention! Recently hit the magic 36,000!

Reactions: sevenfourate
Got the oil and filter service done today. Wanted to get the plugs and gearbox oil done, but wasted a bit of time looking for the locking wheel bolt key, so just run out of time. Pleased the oil and filter is all done now, prior to the new belts and dephaser next week, car has now covered 69264 miles.

Car is booked into Engine Dynamics for the belts, going to get the gearbox oil and plugs done next weekend I hope. In contact with the previous owner regarding the missing wheel bolt key (it's got the extended wheel bolts from KTEC). Hopefully I can purchase the key separately, the bolts are like this

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: sevenfourate