The alcohol thread

who-garden ... with a slightly longer held 'a' .

The first beer other than Red Stripe I ever enjoyed. The one that opened the floodgates! :smile:

Nothing like as good as it was but InBev have ruined all the breweries they purchased. That lemon stuff is horrific!

Still very pleasant to sit in the Grand Place in Brussels and drink a pint though. However I soon realised the wheat beers from Germany were much more to my taste!

LOVE that brewery! Well, I used to, it's far too sweet now since they were taken over by InBev (same company who owns Stella, basically the out and out devil in the beer world!). But their old stuff... WOW. Some of the best beers I've ever had. I've actually got quite the Belle Vue collection. Some "Selection Lambic" (brewers barrel select) from 1998, some "Fond Gueuze" from '88 (really special stuff that sadly never went on sale, some of my most prized boozy possessions!) and one bottle of straight Guezue from 1966 :smiley:

inbev is only interested in making money.

i visited the hoegaarden brewery when it was an independent brewery (about 25 years ago). i remember it was a warm sunny day and i also remember it was the best hoegaarden i ever tasted. the rest is a blank.

just drank a 'vedett' (extra blond) over dinner. from the same brewery (moortgat) as 'duvel' , which is possibly better known.

i visited the hoegaarden brewery when it was an independent brewery (about 25 years ago). i remember it was a warm sunny day and i also remember it was the best hoegaarden i ever tasted. the rest is a blank.

just drank a 'vedett' (extra blond) over dinner. from the same brewery (moortgat) as 'duvel' , which is possibly better known.

i went to Hoegaarden once! Bought a light and everything. Fun visit!

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Yes mate, properly good stuff. Big fan of fortified wine. And my friend does a VERY good beer that he ages in a Pineau Des Charentes barrel.

Do you like cider? ever tried ice cider? It's like the cider equivalent of fortified wine. Ridiculously sweet but mind-blowingly good.
My best pal lives in Germany very heavy days on the liquid lunch

To be fair I haven't drunk that Gueuze in about 9 or 10 years so will just have to stick with the fond memories - I even had the right glass to drink it from.

Reactions: ///M
No sure Micah it's very sweet and quite strong major weakness for me

Could be - I tried it for the first time in September when I was in Florence and had biscotti with it. Knocks your socks off a bit but very more-ish! I'm no good with Whisky/JD etc so this was pushing my threshold for booze tolerance.

Now I'm in my 30's I enjoy a good gin and tonic with lime, never lemon (yuck), a good cider not full of sugar or gimmicky, and premium beer. The only red wine I like is Chianti (thanks Florence!) and I like a crisp Sauv. Blanc (Oyster Bay when on offer is a particular favourite, but open to suggestions on others I would enjoy!)
I was chatting with the gf last night about Dry January. We won't be doing it because we drink on occasion, it's not a way of life. Going by the sound of her work colleagues, they drink every night, 1-2 glasses of wine, sometimes they finish the bottle. I just couldn't do it. I appear to be very conscious about looking after myself, though my waist and chins would disagree. I cook from fresh most nights, I drink at least 3 pints of water at work a day and walk instead of taking the tube, so the odd tipple here and there doesn't make me feel guilty at all.
We're on this planet to enjoy ourselves at the end of the day :smile:

Could be - I tried it for the first time in September when I was in Florence and had biscotti with it. Knocks your socks off a bit but very more-ish! I'm no good with Whisky/JD etc so this was pushing my threshold for booze tolerance.

Now I'm in my 30's I enjoy a good gin and tonic with lime, never lemon (yuck), a good cider not full of sugar or gimmicky, and premium beer. The only red wine I like is Chianti (thanks Florence!) and I like a crisp Sauv. Blanc (Oyster Bay when on offer is a particular favourite, but open to suggestions on others I would enjoy!)
I was chatting with the gf last night about Dry January. We won't be doing it because we drink on occasion, it's not a way of life. Going by the sound of her work colleagues, they drink every night, 1-2 glasses of wine, sometimes they finish the bottle. I just couldn't do it. I appear to be very conscious about looking after myself, though my waist and chins would disagree. I cook from fresh most nights, I drink at least 3 pints of water at work a day and walk instead of taking the tube, so the odd tipple here and there doesn't make me feel guilty at all.
We're on this planet to enjoy ourselves at the end of the day :smile:
I always bring a few back from my playground trips

... I even had the right glass to drink it from.

euhh ... of course you had. (most) belgians are anal when it comes to serving beer in the appropriate glass. i know of quite a few pubs where a customer is being asked beforehand if he/she minds drinking his/her beer from a different/wrong glass. i know i do and order a different beer with the appropriate glass ... :flushed:

and it gets worse ... ideally the waiter/barman/or whatever, when serving the beer, turns the glass with the label facing the customer. and if it's a not a beer on draft but from a bottle, the label on the bottle should be facing the customer as well. again :flushed:

sadly some (younger) waiters are not so familiar with this, so my friends and i try to educate them ... which usually ends with us leaving the pub. except when she's blond and has long legs.