The benefit of good fuel

Hi all,

I bought my first RS 200 3 weeks ago and had issues with it not revving past 5000 revs on some (most) occasions - I put a post on here at the time. Fault code suggested a duff knock sensor which I replaced. Although it was improved there was still considerable hesitancy around 5-6k revs.

So today I did a run, got the fuel tank down to 30 miles of fuel left then brimmed it with Shell Nitro+ 99 RON. All I can say is WOW!!

It feels so much more alert low down and the hesitancy has now gone as the revs rise, just had 1 occasion where it did it. I've only done 60 miles with the new fuel so guess it'll need a couple hundred miles to get the old crap out the system (filter etc.).

I'm still putting new plugs in it as I reckon they're the original and it's ok 95k miles.

So thought I'd share my experience with you all, I won't be using anything else from now on!

Hi all,

I bought my first RS 200 3 weeks ago and had issues with it not revving past 5000 revs on some (most) occasions - I put a post on here at the time. Fault code suggested a duff knock sensor which I replaced. Although it was improved there was still considerable hesitancy around 5-6k revs.

So today I did a run, got the fuel tank down to 30 miles of fuel left then brimmed it with Shell Nitro+ 99 RON. All I can say is WOW!!

It feels so much more alert low down and the hesitancy has now gone as the revs rise, just had 1 occasion where it did it. I've only done 60 miles with the new fuel so guess it'll need a couple hundred miles to get the old crap out the system (filter etc.).

I'm still putting new plugs in it as I reckon they're the original and it's ok 95k miles.

So thought I'd share my experience with you all, I won't be using anything else from now on!

Welcome to the shell drivers club. We hope you enjoy your stay.

We need to get shell as a forum trader!

Probably 99% of guys on here will use nothing less than 98RON but iam glad you're enjoying and she is healthy now
I'd say now 95% ok, but I reckon it'll take this tank to remove the old fuel. Plus it does seem like these engines are highly strung and can hesitate occasionally

I think my other 'issue' with the RS is that my other car is a Peugeot 208 GTI by Peugeot Sport and it's 1.6 turbo engine is the absolute opposite to the 2.0 NA in the RS200. It's all Torque and flexibility. So I do need to adjust my perspective a bit.
The RS is by far the better car by the way, apart from the LSD in the 208 I prefer every other aspect to the RS including the engine. It's just such an engaging little package.

Only ever used V Power in my Clio since day 1, well worth it for the free Malteaser bunnies and discounts off Capri Suns from the various Shell garages across the UK!

Oh and of course things running a little smoother (despite me thinking some of it's psychological! However mine hasn't skipped a beat on the stuff!)

I use Tesco 99 stuff and the difference is amazing, engine runs and revs so much more smoothly.

I had to put in a bit of regular unleaded the other week because I was too far away from a Tesco petrol station and was running on fumes. Once I'd fuelled up, because of my engine mounts the dash rattled so much more it was unbearable!!!

Glad you've hopefully got to the bottom of the engine troubles you were having. Yeah I prefer Shell whenever I can, but it's always super that goes in, regardless. There was an occasion up in Scotland when regular went in - there was no noticeable difference, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it!

Reactions: mannors007
Used a mix of Shell Super and Tesco Momentum since bought the car (2+ years ago now) but due to my only miles being motorway commuting now, in the last month I've been throwing Tesco 95 in as the price is a nice low 112.9 and it means my fuel expenses go a little further. Can't say I've noticed any MAJOR differences but the car is definitely a little more eager on the super stuff and I think it probably gives an extra MPG or 2

201.6 gallons of V-Power / Shell Nitro+ for me in my ownership so far. Still counting and wouldn't and havn't ever used anything else.

Placebo effect of the supposed benefits? Yea possibly you could get all scientific on me and argue that point. But for what few miles i do and the cost difference its not worth using anything different for me. Especially as its my nearest garage too.

Plus you wouldn't think the Shell stuff cant possibly be 'worse' than anything else out there; even if it isn't head and shoulders better. ***But i like to think of it as reassuringly expensive......

Reactions: RossWoods93
201.6 gallons of V-Power / Shell Nitro+ for me in my ownership so far. Still counting and wouldn't and havn't ever used anything else.

Placebo effect of the supposed benefits? Yea possibly you could get all scientific on me and argue that point. But for what few miles i do and the cost difference its not worth using anything different for me. Especially as its my nearest garage too.

Plus you wouldn't think the Shell stuff cant possibly be 'worse' than anything else out there; even if it isn't head and shoulders better. ***But i like to think of it as reassuringly expensive......

Definitely 100% not a placebo, I used regular unleaded the other week and my car ran like an old dog, I could feel the Powerflex engine mounts rattling through my teeth :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: mannors007
Mine is run on Tesco Momentum 99. Cheaper than Shell + Club card points. Never missed a beat. Over the last 4/5 months I've been using Redex too. I use Shell V-Power when away from home if I can't find Tesco, (Shell is only 98 octane - each octane makes a difference , but have used BP 97 with no ill effect). Definitely runs better on premium fuel rather than 95 octane imho.

Definitely 100% not a placebo, I used regular unleaded the other week and my car ran like an old dog, I could feel the Powerflex engine mounts rattling through my teeth :tearsofjoy:
Maybe some are worse than others but based on my hugely limited experience my RS is terrible on regular unleaded, truly terrible. Super-unleaded and it's a different animal all together