The future of POTM ! YOUR vote counts.

What direction should POTM take ?

• 1. To continue to have a pre-chosen subject matter every month.

• 2. Alternate between pre-chosen subjects and an completely open theme.

• 3. Keep every month as a completely open theme.

• 4. Something else (Please expand upon your thoughts in this thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
Evening all :smile:

Myself and my cohort in the running of POTM @Jimmy have recently had a few discussions about where does POTM go from here.

Since somewhat resurrecting the thing in July 2016 and pushing it a bit more - the response, entries and number of excited participants has been great. And after all; this is here for those that want to and enjoy taking part. It shouldn't be a chore.

As it currently stands myself and my partner-in-crime take turns to choose a subject matter for the upcoming month. This is put up - and you fine people do the rest :sunglasses: However.... it has come to our attention - what looks a great subject matter on paper; may not be so easy to capture on film. And we think this detracts from the number of entries. And after all.....we just want to see Clio pics !!

This is perhaps highlighted this month - by the greater number of entries, higher quality of pics (?) and the general buzz a 'completely open playing field' with no boundaries has brought with it.

SO: As this is for you 'guy's - how about we have a chat and perhaps a vote on where we go from here to make things more exciting, to encourage people to get off their asses - in their Clio and snapping some pics and generally take these comps to the next level.

Thoughts (?) and FIRE AWAY !

Regards

The 197 / 200 / 200 + 220T Admin team

This may sound a bit silly but could the POTM amount to something you guys do such a brilliant job and the topics are all ways so good would turning the winners photos into the calender work at all then we are aiming for something more??

This may sound a bit silly but could the POTM amount to something you guys do such a brilliant job and the topics are all ways so good would turning the winners photos into the calender work at all then we are aiming for something more??

WOW !!! Now there's a thought for 2018.

I've no idea how many you'd need as a minimum to get it into print. Something i can easily look into though. And as you say - what a 'prize' for each month's winner appearing in the Calendar would be

THANKS for the positive feedback too. I know you're someone who's always very keen and excited by each new subject.

Reactions: R11HOY
WOW !!! Now there's a thought for 2018.

I've no idea how many you'd need as a minimum to get it into print. Something i can easily look into though. And as you say - what a 'prize' for each month's winner appearing in the Calendar would be

THANKS for the positive feedback too. I know you're someone who's always very keen and excited by each new subject.
You would hope 12 Lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I personally don't think the open theme should be every month. It's nice to vote for a photo that has hit the "brief" in some way shape or form.

How about all the POTM winners get entered into an POTY poll at the end of calendar year for a shot at immortality!

For the calendar idea, not wishing to poo poo the idea, but the pictures need to be proper hi res photos. If they're not, the finished result on the calendar doesn't look so good. So iirc, that rules out the phone pics - but don't quote me on that!

@Nik is the man with all the details on this as we have a calendar over on cs.

For the calendar idea, not wishing to poo poo the idea, but the pictures need to be proper hi res photos. If they're not, the finished result on the calendar doesn't look so good. So iirc, that rules out the phone pics - but don't quote me on that!

@Nik is the man with all the details on this as we have a calendar over on cs.

Most phones take pictures in fairly high resolutions now though? Would have thought aspect ratio/cropping would be more of an issue. But I'd buy a POTM calender!

As for the actual competition, I'm not too familiar with how it's currently run but I feel like having a set topic does exclude a lot of very good pics unless the topics are really open (And then what's the point of having the topic?). Personally I would have said the only rule should be the photos had to be taken that month.

Reactions: Jimmy
I do like open theme but what about as a 2nd thread my thiught for this is because we are always doing different things and taking the cars all over the place and I think it's safe to say we all have the one picture we think damm I wish this was a topic.. because this would be a awesome pic to use. I understand over summer you will get track pics and ring pics but sticking to the rules the karasell pic wouldn't work as you didn't take it.. (I love that pic and can't wait to get mine next year)

That said idea for the end of the year a mega photo of the month which would be an open rule book no limits and that lovely karasell pic or the 2 wheels going over the rumble strips would count..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Personally I would have said the only rule should be the photos had to be taken that month.

Which i know is flouted.....

The idea initially was to get people out, off the forum, in their Clio's and taking a pic. Conforming to a set-topic was kinda part of the way of trying to ensure it was a recently taken pic for the topic in-hand.

The trouble is (And is see both sides of the debate) we've had entries where people have 'just' posted a previously taken pic that slotted into the topic for that month. As good as that pic may be.....that wasnt the idea behind the comps in my eyes.

In saying that it's a photography comp and one of if not the main aim - should be to share great shots !

Not easy..............

I like the idea of alternating between an open theme and specific theme. Will be delving back into the SLR camera market soon and relish the idea of having to really go out and find your shot. Mine certainly isn't ready for hi res pictures just yet but I think with a decent challenge and maybe a little incentive (free lanyard/username sticker maybe?) it would really bring out a nice bit of healthy competition.

+1 for a calendar!

Reactions: Jimmy
I like the idea of alternating between an open theme and specific theme. Will be delving back into the SLR camera market soon and relish the idea of having to really go out and find your shot. Mine certainly isn't ready for hi res pictures just yet but I think with a decent challenge and maybe a little incentive (free lanyard/username sticker maybe?) it would really bring out a nice bit of healthy competition.

+1 for a calendar!

Thanks for your thoughts Ben !

The incentive of being able to have POTM Winner "July 2017" as your moniker for all lesser entries to see does currently stand of course..... :smile:

Reactions: Benno
Just to throw a bit of a spanner into the calendar works, as we’ve been down this road before, it’s very finicky to get the right pictures at the right resolution and pixels for them to be used. We had this for the forum calendar before and basically only pics taken on a very good quality camera were able to be used.

At least that might have been that particular supplier of calendars, can’t speak for all! Just something to bare in mind!

Perhaps if the POTM competiton was more about photos specifically for a calender resolution requirements could be made?

Rather than just mindless voting for pictures, make the whole thing actually have a tangible point which people can get a copy of? As I said before, most modern phones take pictures in 4k anyway so I wouldn't think that would exclude many photos.

I usually get put off but just generally because so many people have such good photos every month that I don’t want to embarrass myself by Even posting anything [emoji23]

I think the themes are a good idea and it’s good to see people’s different takes on the same topic. I plan to try get involved each month.

The topic in my eye is a good idea because most people’s cars don’t really change from month to month so it’s definitely good to have them in a different setting/contrast so that each months pics are different even if the cars are the same [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do people really buy calendars anymore? I buy one for my mum at xmas, but she is 80!...I also like the topic, but appreciate it can be hard for people to get those shots sometimes - I just enjoy looking at the photos TBH.

Do people really buy calendars anymore? I buy one for my mum at xmas, but she is 80!...I also like the topic, but appreciate it can be hard for people to get those shots sometimes - I just enjoy looking at the photos TBH.

I’d certainly buy a calendar for the man cave if it had a rack of sexy wee clios in it lol

Reactions: kevlar
Thanks for all the feedback so far, this is exactly what Shuv and I were after! Keep it coming, we want as much input on this as we can.

As Shuv has said, the idea of the themes/topics was to inspire some creativity each month - it's a case of trying to find a balance between challenging and accessible for all :smile: so it's good to hear that they are popular!

There are some small plans afoot for the end of the year, so keep an eye out for those!

And for those who have their doubts about entering a photo - please don't feel that way, this is very much for fun and we want to see people enjoying taking their photos and showcasing them on the forum. The more entries we get, the more interesting a competition it can be. And if it does keep growing in the future, there may be scope to expand the whole thing, such as to introduce top 3 winners each month, for example.

Keep your thoughts, opinions and suggestions coming in!

Reactions: sevenfourate