The recaro saga - missing airbag!

It's a long story which I won't go into right now but I've acquired a set of recaro's with the drivers airbag "missing", ive already chased up capital seating to see if they can provide a replacement but I'm wondering if anyone knows where else to try and get one / costs etc.

It looks to be a Mercedes item, made by TRW with part no. A 240 860 02 05 (passenger side ends 01 05), Google search has been hopeless and my next plan is to try Renault / Merc etc.

DSC_0561.JPG

I've had a scout through dialogys and I think the Renault part no. is 82 00 948 229 if anyone can confirm this?

Last edited:
eBay? Theres a Polish company called ROFAG on there who do genuine Renault parts I haven't seen elsewhere.

Reactions: Reevesy
PM me your VIN and I’ll check it out in work tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So tell us the full story on the seats I guess they are second hand and Recaro CS seats can come without airbags and are fitted to different cars so if it is from a different car the loom connector may not be for Renault and the airbag might not be your only issue.

I checked with rofag but they only do the covers, and it won't come up under VIN as the seats came from an R27.

Basically it looks like the airbag has deployed at some point, the cover was repaired and the air bag wiring left with the firing pin / detonator plugged in to presumably fool the airbag warning light.

DSC_0559.JPG

I've already made a mends with the seller who's refunded me appropriately, I think he got them from someone else on here so that's not for me to comment.

It wasn't obvious of any fowl play until I had the seat back stripped down and noticed some screws had been sheared off... :censored:

Last edited:
Little update, capital seating was a nogo with the airbag, Renault being the last resort now.

If all else fails think im gonna have to consider converting these seats to "airbagless" Recaro's, anyone wanna buy a passenger side airbag, lol :tongueclosed:

Last edited:
Had to get one from Renault in the end, £150 ex.VAT and it comes caged like a dangerous animal...

DSC_0625.JPG

Also had issues with the steel plate that joins the airbag to the seat bracket as it doesn't come with a new airbag, the pleb that removed it threw it away with the airbag so i got a quote from Renault... Wait for it, £130!!! I blasted one out on waterjet at work for free...

DSC_0629.JPG

Also purchased two new side airbag covers from capital whilst I was down there, the price has hiked up to £70 a side though so I was well pissed as I could have ordered them weeks ago.

All in all its set me back about £800 for a set of pretty good condition/repaired Recaro's + a few headaches along the way! :excited:

Last edited:
Reactions: sikora and Ruben203
Had to get one from Renault in the end, £150 ex.VAT and it comes caged like a dangerous animal...

View attachment 121002

Also had issues as the steel plate that joins the airbag to the seat bracket doesn't come with the new airbag, the pleb that removed it threw it away with the airbag so i got a quote from Renault... Wait for it, £130!!! So I blasted one out on waterjet at work for free...

View attachment 121003

Also purchased two new side airbag covers from capital whilst I was down there, price has hiked up to £70 a side though so I was well pissed as I could have ordered them weeks ago.

All in all its set me back about £800 for a set of pretty good condition/repaired Recaro's + a few headaches along the way! :excited:
Result is good at least! Enjoy them.

So far I'm happy, they look much more suited to the car and although the seat height is comical (at full height my head can touch the roof!) the arm reach to the steering wheel seems better.

My advise to anyone buying recaro's is to be weary as I had no idea these had an airbag deployed before, the side airbag panel had been siliconed back together from the inside and the wiring fettled to hide the missing airbag (similar to fitting a resistor etc.).

Here's the dimensions for the bracket that I needed:

Untitled.jpg

And some useful part numbers:

8200948229 - drivers side airbag
8200948222 - passenger side airbag
7701070569 - drivers side airbag cover
7701070567 - passenger side airbag cover

You can get most spares direct from capital seating mind:

https://www.capitalseating.co.uk/renault-clio-sport197200rs

Was it worth it? Erm... You do get a smug feeling of superiority when you see lesser sporty clio's knocking about, lol. :laughing:

Reactions: Doogle and DS197
So far I'm happy, they look much more suited to the car and although the seat height is comical (at full height my head can touch the roof!)
See @Doogle 's thread about Rentune seat mount group buy. Sounds like what you are after to me.

Reactions: Doogle
Na I mean if you jack it right up, lol. When it's fully down its ok can't see me being fussed about the height... I'd much rather find a more eloquent way of getting in and out of the car without touching the seat bolsters :blush:

Last edited:
I will be selling my Cloth Recaros,(Good condition, has side air bags!) as I am looking for lighter fibre glass ones. Problem is, living in N/E Scotland. Ideally I want to get the job done, in one go.