To loud for track?

Regy53

Paid Member
Hi All

I bought the green supercharged Clio a few weeks ago from Craig.

It came needing manifold replacement due to cracks so I went with the toyosports after reading a lot about them plus Ktec cant supply at present.

It was fitted the other day and i drove the car in a bit of anger earlier and i am a tad worried it may be a bit loud for trackdays i would attend, say bedford autodrome whom are very strict

it has
toyosport downpipes
KTR decat
KTR pro performance exhaust
no precats

I see there is a centre box in there. I hate the idea of spending £200 on a track day to be kicked off after a lap

Anybody have any experience of this setup at all? and how did you get on

thanks
Ross

We've a Clio over here that has a DIY fold exhaust and if it's open it does 136 dB (static). That's starting fighter jet territory! I think it's a decat with straight center pipe. Not sure about the manifold/downpipe though. So, there actually is the chance that his one maybe is to loud.

The standard Clio 3 RS (Phase 2) are listed with 77 dB @ 3750 rpm (static). My TÜV (MOT) was so nice to do a free check and with the Akra (no decat; only resonator and exhaust) mine already does around 81 dB. Fortunately there's a 5 dB tolerance to the standard. So I'm still within the limits.

The thing is that you've to understand that +3 dB already means a (felt) duplication of volume. So...

77 dB + 3 dB = twice as loud as before
80 dB + 3 dB = twice as loud as before
83 dB + 3 dB = ...

I'd suggest you really check this in before. Either with one of these mobile apps (which presumably aren't that accurate) or heaving it measured with professional equipment somewhere.

If everything fails there's a little trick that can be used to fool the stationary checkpoints to some degree. At least if they're located on just one side of the track. You simply weld together some pipes facing away from that direction and adapt them to the end of the exhausts via some pipe clamps or the like. That helps to reduce the sound emission at least a bit.

Reactions: Sean197
We've a Clio over here that has a DIY fold exhaust and if it's open it does 136 dB (static). That's starting fighter jet territory! I think it's a decat with straight center pipe. Not sure about the manifold/downpipe though. So, there actually is the chance that his one maybe is to loud.

The standard Clio 3 RS (Phase 2) are listed with 77 dB @ 3750 rpm (static). My TÜV (MOT) was so nice to do a free check and with the Akra (no decat; only resonator and exhaust) mine already does around 81 dB. Fortunately there's a 5 dB tolerance to the standard. So I'm still within the limits.

The thing is that you've to understand that +3 dB already means a (felt) duplication of volume. So...

77 dB + 3 dB = twice as loud as before
80 dB + 3 dB = twice as loud as before
83 dB + 3 dB = ...

I'd suggest you really check this in before. Either with one of these mobile apps (which presumably aren't that accurate) or heaving it measured with professional equipment somewhere.

If everything fails there's a little trick that can be used to fool the stationary checkpoints to some degree. At least if they're located on just one side of the track. You simply weld together some pipes facing away from that direction and adapt them to the end of the exhausts via some pipe clamps or the like. That helps to reduce the sound emission at least a bit.

Holy crap 136???!!!!???

Bedford is a nightmare track for noise. I did it few months ago in the clio and got called in for exceeding drive-by noise limits. At the time mine had a toyo manifold, and full K-Tec sport exhaust with decat. Also had a CDA induction. Bloke said that by the end of the day nearly 3/4 of the cars had been pulled for noise. 2 actually went home within an hour of the day starting!!!

The trick is to try and avoid the 4 sound meters round the track. I did this by finding out where they were, and short shifting and driving as far away from them as possible. For 2 of them this means off the racing line. When I did this I didn't get pulled again, then half hour before the end of the day I just pinned it for the fun of it.

I have not come across another track as strict as Bedford, so think you'll be fine everywhere else.

I'm back at Bedford on Monday with a K-Tec manifold and an R3 induction system. I don't expect it will be any quieter, so I'll probably be short shifting and swerving all over the track again!!

My fear is that this will become common practice at tracks soon. Let's hope not.

I've heard the mobile apps are actually quite accurate. I know someone who has done side-by-side comparison with a calibrated sound meter and mobile was within 1db. Relatively speaking, they should be fine to measure static noise for track, but rarely is static reading the issue.

Also, unfortunately the pipe facing the other way won't workout Bedford either, as 3 are on the left, and 1 on the right. I've also heard that facing the pipe to the ground can actually increase volume, so that's not an option either :-(

Bedford is a nightmare track for noise. I did it few months ago in the clio and got called in for exceeding drive-by noise limits. At the time mine had a toyo manifold, and full K-Tec sport exhaust with decat. Also had a CDA induction. Bloke said that by the end of the day nearly 3/4 of the cars had been pulled for noise. 2 actually went home within an hour of the day starting!!!

The trick is to try and avoid the 4 sound meters round the track. I did this by finding out where they were, and short shifting and driving as far away from them as possible. For 2 of them this means off the racing line. When I did this I didn't get pulled again, then half hour before the end of the day I just pinned it for the fun of it.

I have not come across another track as strict as Bedford, so think you'll be fine everywhere else.

I'm back at Bedford on Monday with a K-Tec manifold and an R3 induction system. I don't expect it will be any quieter, so I'll probably be short shifting and swerving all over the track again!!

My fear is that this will become common practice at tracks soon. Let's hope not.

Just go round a few hours before and stick a big sponge over them! Lol...

Holy crap 136???!!!!???

That's what I was told, yes. It's actually an other Sport Auto Edition and I had a short passenger ride in it. It's extremly loud! Maybe even louder than the Kaspar hillclimb Clio. It's fun for some minutes but for longer periods it has to be a nightmare without ear plugs and/or helmet. Funny sidenote: The flap got stuck in the open position at the end of the meeting and he had to drive home like that. :grinning:

I've heard the mobile apps are actually quite accurate. I know someone who has done side-by-side comparison with a calibrated sound meter and mobile was within 1db. Relatively speaking, they should be fine to measure static noise for track, but rarely is static reading the issue.

Also, unfortunately the pipe facing the other way won't workout Bedford either, as 3 are on the left, and 1 on the right. I've also heard that facing the pipe to the ground can actually increase volume, so that's not an option either :-(

Interesting! But if the cameras are that good today why shouldn't the mics be.

That's indeed a problem then. Facing the pipes downward will just reflect the noise and you maybe even get a multiplication effect indeed. If you'd have to fit something like this here. Please don't forget to take pics if anybody does. :laughing:

Am I right in thinking the ktec exhaust doesn’t really add much power ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I right in thinking the ktec exhaust doesn’t really add much power ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not really. with a remap it may free up a few bhp but it's more about driveability.