Tom's Track Car - BMW E46 -Engine Number 3

Sounds good! I fancy Anglesey this year. May have to join you!

Awesome, should defo try and do it. More the better, i'll let you know when our group is doing it and the date see if you can make it.

Sounds perfect. Do you have a link to the kit that as used? I assume that you had to drill the floor, rather than use existing holes?

Yes, drilled a hole through the floor and bolted it through it with washers and nuts under side.
This is similiar to the item he provided however he was also able to supply to quick release brackets to ensure it didn't come loose unless it was required so perfect for the motorsport application.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2KG-DRY-P...382117?hash=item2cb2350ca5:g:Ge0AAOSwFe5X1XXd

Reactions: trackspec197
Awesome, should defo try and do it. More the better, i'll let you know when our group is doing it and the date see if you can make it.

Yes, drilled a hole through the floor and bolted it through it with washers and nuts under side.
This is similiar to the item he provided however he was also able to supply to quick release brackets to ensure it didn't come loose unless it was required so perfect for the motorsport application.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2KG-DRY-P...382117?hash=item2cb2350ca5:g:Ge0AAOSwFe5X1XXd
Sounds good mate!

Reactions: tombate911

Hero. Thanks dude.

Here is the latest upgrade for the Clio.
Started work on the Big Brake kit for the Clio with Compbrake to provide a bolt on brake kit.
Decided to go with a grooved rotor set up which is bolted, 330mm Powervane rotors matched with Compbrake Bells.
Going to do the same as i did with the top mounts and get the kit together and do a group buy on the forum for people. Some information has been added to the Compbrake thread.
Ordered quite a few other brake related things for hopefully fitting at the weekend. Exciting times!

33057738830_2f7c45df13_z.jpg

Last edited:
Tiny update for a big job.

Got the 335mm brakes on today with new braided lines, fresh Motul fluid and a new set of brake pads.
There is about 3mm clearance between the outside of the caliper and the inside rim of the wheels. Had to remove the wheel weights and will have to get them rebalanced with the weights in a different location.

All ready for Snetterton next month then the Renault Sport day.

33473403236_4d3cb3703a_z.jpg

Also fitted the cup spoiler this morning. Finishes off the back of the car nicely.

33385825331_3ddae631b8_z.jpg

Last edited:
Few small things to report.

Tuning
I've decided for the time being to leave the Engine as it is in it's standard form.
Got it booked in with Chris at EFI who is a friend of a friend. Going to have it on their dyno for a full afternoon and get it custom tuned there to iron out the flatspots and poor drive ability at the moment with the modifications which have been done.

Suspension and Brakes
Just a couple of upgrades going on lately with my own car.

Big 335mm brake kit is all dialed in and feeling amazing now! noticeable difference in braking power using the same pads as the standard rotors and really do fill the 17" wheels to the limit with about 3mm clearance.
Ordered some DS3000 brake pads. Looking forward to testing the new brake set up with Hel braided lines in two weeks on track.

Box turned up from Gaz this morning....
33568930672_f57a588943_z.jpg
Gaz have sorted me out with another set of springs for the car. This set are over 2" shorter with helper springs to be able to get the car sitting lower and ensure the springs are preloaded when the car off off the ground. Going to get these fitted after the Snetterton Track day.

33340639480_3c08a6d253_z.jpg

Not really been on here recently, been very busy helping other people with other projects such as helping a friend rebuild a Storm Grey Clio 200 which was crashed at SPA last year into a concrete wall. Complete rebuild on the go at the moment to replace the front end and engine including all the dash board and winscreen. Keeping my busy helping with that also keeping my mind active which is the main thing.

Gave the car a good clean on Monday after work but there wasn't enough space on my phone to take photos so I took it out for a drive instead. I did take however take a photo of the 335 rotors tucked in behind the 17" wheels.

32929834733_b2d2daf368_z.jpg

New pads arrived today. DS3000 ready for some track abuse.

33586490262_b12c3c488d_z.jpg

why the DS3000?

Did some research into pads recently. Lots of people rave about ds2500 but also heard they are not up to track abuse. Originally was going to go for the 1.11's but the extra £70 at the moment I couldn't justify when I've booked 3 track days this week. That's a track days fuel bill paid for... will they stop me in 30% less distance or last 30% longer? I did some comparisons on co efficient of friction between pads. I know they're not as good at lower road temperatures but the car is primarily a trailered track car now and the performance when up the temperature looks very good. Also did some reading and but most importantly spoke to people who have used them on track and was happy to give them a go. Either way it's an upgrade over the standard Brembo pads I've been running. Will be careful with the pad deposits so thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Pav and peter
I've used DS3000 pads on track a few times mate and whilst they are not my first choice they were very good to be fair. I have the performance friction big brake set up on mine and the pads did leave deposits in the closed grooves but your discs may eject it a bit better than mine. If there's a choice between seat time and buying / fitting parts I'll take seat time every time! You made the right choice, CL for the win next time!

Reactions: tombate911 and Pav
I've used DS3000 pads on track a few times mate and whilst they are not my first choice they were very good to be fair. I have the performance friction big brake set up on mine and the pads did leave deposits in the closed grooves but your discs may eject it a bit better than mine. If there's a choice between seat time and buying / fitting parts I'll take seat time every time! You made the right choice, CL for the win next time!

Thanks for the reply. I was happy with my choice when I ordered but had my doubts now after the last few posts... I knew I would have to ensure they are bedded in fully and properly to try and avoid deposits. Fingers crossed I'm happy with them
Now...

Thanks for the reply. I was happy with my choice when I ordered but had my doubts now after the last few posts... I knew I would have to ensure they are bedded in fully and properly to try and avoid deposits. Fingers crossed I'm happy with them
Now...

You'll hear all sorts of opinions on brake pads just like tyres. Try a few different ones and find what works for you, particularly the price / performance / durability balance.

What you will find is that the ds3000 will be in a different league compared to the mediocre standard pads. I have not run them so can't give any feedback. My personal favourite pad for the Clio is carbotech XP10 although not tried loads of types.

Our experience of Ferodo pads (2500 / 3000) is that they have been an expensive choice in the long run due to pad deposits and having to have disks skimmed / replaced. We were advised to try Pagid RS29's. We haven't looked back - not one disk issue.

We recently tried XP10's and generally they were good, the down side was that we had 'one' lock up in the wet at Oulton which resulted in another disk skim !!!

We have DS1.11's in at the moment which have proved pretty decent at Cadwell on Wednesday - time will tell

If I were to choose a pad for all occasions it would be the RS29, not cheap but then the best (IMO) rarely is

Our experience of Ferodo pads (2500 / 3000) is that they have been an expensive choice in the long run due to pad deposits and having to have disks skimmed / replaced. We were advised to try Pagid RS29's. We haven't looked back - not one disk issue.

We recently tried XP10's and generally they were good, the down side was that we had 'one' lock up in the wet at Oulton which resulted in another disk skim !!!

We have DS1.11's in at the moment which have proved pretty decent at Cadwell on Wednesday - time will tell

If I were to choose a pad for all occasions it would be the RS29, not cheap but then the best (IMO) rarely is

When I ran DS1.11s I found they wore the discs relatively quickly and left ridges rather than a nice flat surface on the disc. They are a very good pad and were my first introduction to just how good the brakes can be on the Clio!