Tom's Track Car - BMW E46 -Engine Number 3

Aside from that I've been working with Compbrake a local Motorsport Engineering company on the development of a set of top mounts for the Clio to run OEM springs and any other coilovers designed around the same Diameter spring. Will also be rolling out a similar design for the Newer style top mounts with templates for cutting the top mount on the chassis and a strengthening plate to allow adjustable top mounts to be run on the newer clios. Should have the final bits from the machine shop this week and get them fitted and the car set up properly.
27719965916_317f6e0629_z.jpg
[MENTION=53925]tombate911[/MENTION]

Hi

You had these fitted yet ? What did you manage to achieve max caster / camber ? Thanks

[MENTION=112]Paul[/MENTION]JA

There has been a slight modification to the design this past week, the final design should be machined and anodized within a week or so so i'll be able to give more detailed information about them once they're on the car and some measurements can be made. Will keep updating the thread with information though as I want them on the car and set up for the next track day.

@PaulJA

There has been a slight modification to the design this past week, the final design should be machined and anodized within a week or so so i'll be able to give more detailed information about them once they're on the car and some measurements can be made. Will keep updating the thread with information though as I want them on the car and set up for the next track day.

Have compbrake intimated when these will go out to market and cost? Do you think a group buy could be set up?

I recon I could sort out a group buy with discount for a group on here, they're really well
priced to start with anyway. Should only be a couple of weeks until I've got the final version on my car and they're tested then only a week to manufacture.

I checked over the drawings for the latest version to run with OEM suspension yesterday, should have them on the car in around 10 days once they're manufactured. I have mentioned the fact of a group buy on here/discount so i'll keep posting back.

On a side notes - Ill add photos at a later date.

I'm in the middle of painting the track wheels black which where originally white when I bought them and having the tyres rotated while i'm at it.
Also ordered some more poly bushes for the Anti Roll Bar as well as the lower engine mount to finish off the engine mountings while I drop the subframe again to fit the ARB's, I should have done that job when I fitted the Exhaust Manifold.

Last edited:
Decided I didn't really like the white wheels so set about painting them black my self. Flatted the paint back and sanded out any damage. Couple of coats of Black paint and then two coats of lacquer.
Will get tyres back on them at weekend.

Still waiting to fit the adjustable top mounts. I'll also drop the subframe again, fit Polybush Antiroll bar bushes while i'm there then I can get it aligned and set up properly.

28276887536_9546448f55_z.jpg

27695319913_1a247dfffd_z.jpg

27695319063_55af4d11ce_z.jpg

On a side note I've booked the next track day for the 3rd of August at Anglesey. Can't wait to get back there and get on track again!

26745314582_448bfe2e22_z.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some 1k glass black to keep things simple and the lacquer I had laying around in the garage from some painting I did on the van a while back. I havn't taken a photo of Jem lacquered, the above photos are just black base coat. Painted them in a friends unit and left them in the house for two weeks to fully cure before having the tyres sorted. Not quite a full professional finish but these are only my track wheels. Good opportunity to rotate the track tyres around too.

Another weekend more progress.

Dropped the subframe again fitted anti roll bar bushes and the final engine polybush on the lower mount.

Also managed to pick up 8 federal RSR's for £100, 4 like new and 4 partially worn. Split them with my mate and will keep us in tyres for the rest of the year.

new top mount design should be here tomorrow, fingers crossed then fitted towards the end of the week when I get a minute.

Little job this evening. Picked up the spring retainers that have been made by Compbrake to make these top mounts work with OEM diameter springs and any coilovers which use the same diameter top mount/spring. This is the first set of this design with the retainers for the springs. I know there was a few people who were asking about these. [MENTION=52417]krash67[/MENTION] [MENTION=112]Paul[/MENTION]JA

Started at 5, fitted one set to my car and another set to a mates, roughly aligned both cars and got finished by 9.

Will be having the car set up properly on Friday with 2.5 Degrees of Camber 0.10'' Toe Out

Looking forward to giving them a test on Track at Anglesey next Wednesday.

28465558472_7e29c35193_z.jpg

28494100771_9a3532bb0f_z.jpg

Photo below shows them loosely bolted into place before starting to get them set up roughly.
28465557832_1ed11f2201_z.jpg

Last edited:
Be interesting to establish what maximum camber and caster can be achieved with these.

We have KW Clubsport top mounts set at 3 deg' negative camber (there is the option of a little more). caster is fixed at around 5.8 deg'

Another week and another update.

With the new top mounts fitted to both mine and my friends Clio we took them down to Rye motors who are really good at vehicle alignments and really knowledgeable guys. we found the new mounts were able to achieve just under 2.5 degress camber at it's max. In the end we settled for 2 Degress camber and a total toe out of 12' and left the caster as standard at 5Deg50'

Didn't mess with the castor just yet. Going to see how I get on with it set up like this.

The car has never driven so well on the road, drives in the straight line, doesn't pull to the side and the steering wheel is pointing perfectly with the front wheels.

28681466345_6d8fbf5d9c_z.jpg

Photo shows the 2 Degress of camber, really interested to see how this helps with tyre wear on track and hopefully some more front end grip in the corners.

28575868192_0772047f28_z.jpg

While i've got a track day booked for Wednesday I also took the opportunity to drop the gear box oil i put in 6 months ago and swap it for some Redline stuff everyone seems to be recommending. Will report back after the track day this week.

28064552164_ed0a5fe62c_z.jpg

Can you take a photo of the top mounts at their current settings ?

I've added a photo to my flickr. They are pretty much set at their max in that position with the top mounts centered around the strut tunnel. Now I know what i'm working with the whole top mount can easily be slid across a few mm to get some more caster. I will probably do that if I start to play around with caster angle but at the moment i'm not totally confident with how castor effects the handling on these cars. I know the cup racers run 3 camber and 6 caster.

Do you manufacture your own mounts mate? or run your own track cars?

Tom.

Another track day under the belt of the Clio.
Had an amazing track day at Anglesey with Javelin with my mate in his Clio 200. Car felt awesome on track with the modications I've done over the past few months. The additional camber on the front made a noticable difference! Anyway i'm just sorting through track day footage and photos so I thought i'd post this up here for you to see,

It's well worth a watch just to hear my mates laugh at the slide.

[video=youtube;nEEXCPG6poo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEEXCPG6poo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[MENTION=112]Paul[/MENTION]JA

Hi. Where can i get a set of this top mount?

Had an amazing track day at Anglesey with Javelin with my mate in his Clio 200. Car felt awesome on track with the modications I've done over the past few months. The additional camber on the front made a noticable difference! Anyway i'm just sorting through track day footage and photos so I thought i'd post this up here for you to see,

You didnt back off much. Top man..........

Best FWD drift ever!

Hi. Where can i get a set of this top mount?

[MENTION=52367]R27SG[/MENTION]

There's a company called Compbrake I spoke to him about prices recently. They're £190 + the vat, but may do a better deal. Say Tom with the blue Clio put you in touch. I had the first two sets and helped out with dimensions for them to run with OEM Springs.