Tyre size query...

-Eddie-

Missing In Action
I’ve purchased a new set of wheels to go along with the centre caps I posted :wink:.

The wheels are 8j and I’m just wondering what spec tyre would be best to run. The wheels on my 265 where 8.25j IIRC and the tyres where 235/35/19.

So I’m thinking either 225/45/17 or 225/40/17 for the wheels on the Clio?

What size would you run? I’m also on the look out for something different from the AD08r currently on the Interlagos wheels. I’m currently swaying towards Michelin Pilot Sports, any recommendations? I’ve no interest in Continental or Goodyear. I’ve ran both in the past and wasn’t really fussed by either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran 215s on my 8j cup racer speedlines and they were fine. 225s look like baloons imo

not on an 8 inch wide wheel.

225's on an 8x18 ...

24157893618_e48bd41890_b.jpg

37978880532_e23a3a7361_b.jpg

those are michelin pilot super sports. can't fault them.
i've had cup 2's (215/45 17 on a 7x17 wheel). great tyre untill they came off the wheels ...

30370388842_2735fca056_b.jpg

Thanks Peter. Are the Interlagos wheels 8j? (I always thought they where 8.25j) In that case I’ll just be sticking with 225 width as that’s what I’m currently running. Where those tyres 225/40/18?

Reactions: peter
So I’m thinking either 225/45/17 or 225/40/17 for the wheels on the Clio?

standard tyre is 215/45 17, right? difference between a standard tyre and a 225/40 will be bigger than between a standard tyre and a 225/45. i'd go for a 225/45.

standard tyre is 215/45 17, right? difference between a standard tyre and a 225/40 will be bigger than between a standard tyre and a 225/45. i'd go for a 225/45.

Yeah standard is 215/45/17.

I bought a set of R26 ch68 8x18 wheels with all std ride height and suspension no spacers they had 235/35 18 tyres on and no rubbing but a lot of road tyre noise but that's because they were unknown Chinese crap sounded like instant wheel bearing failure until the normal wheels went back on. Was going to get them repainted but the good wheel guy in Cookstown cant match the genuine colour anthracite or silver (he uses some kind of epoxy paint I guess limits the colour match) I bought brand new anthracite centres and have a brand new anthracite wheel so I want them to match.

Ixell paint shops are not in Northern Ireland and the codes are very hard to mix even find the copy codes by other manufacturers until now I have always bought new wheels because I have never had a wheel repainted to match original before. My other problem even if I buy the right colour I need the right undercoat and clear coat or the colour will not match anyway and I am at the point now I might just get them painted Renault silver but it's still the same problem. As for the car it's Nimbus and the front and rear bumper was repainted before I bought it and they don't match and I'll be dammed if I'm going to pay to have them done again to still not look right.

That's bad. Have you asked directly at Renault? Maybe they've somebody at hand that does original colours? If not just have all of them repainted in what ever colour you like.

I don't know how it's for Nimbus but some of the colours basically always seem to come out with a slightly different shade on the plastic parts (bumpers and front fenders) compared to the metal surfaces. I was told this has to do with that the colour particles "settle" differently on plastic compared to metal. I wouldn't give too much about it but I know it can be a PITA if you know such things exist on your car.

Yea we have messed this tyre thread up I have been quoted £1200 to fix them and correct the lacquer in front of the rear arches that stones have pitted. That guy is incredible they fixed a Bentley for the insurance company and used £35,000 of parts and was able to paint an Alfa Romeo 8C Red (£2,200 option) after 2 other paint shops could not match it.

Michelin PSS are great tyres, one better would be the PS4S but i'm sure they only start at 18". I've got PS4S waiting to go on my M3 to replace crappy continentals.

Mind you, if your doing track days i would stick with the AD08R.

Michelin PSS are great tyres, one better would be the PS4S but i'm sure they only start at 18". I've got PS4S waiting to go on my M3 to replace crappy continentals.

Mind you, if your doing track days i would stick with the AD08R.

Cheers! There’s so many options in the MICHELIN range. I had looked at Cup 2 aswell as the Pilot Sport 4 but they are around £40/50 per tyre more expensive. I’ll take another look at options tonight.

Cheers! There’s so many options in the MICHELIN range. I had looked at Cup 2 aswell as the Pilot Sport 4 but they are around £40/50 per tyre more expensive. I’ll take another look at options tonight.

CUP2 is probably a bit extreme for just road use in something with the little power like the Clio. The thing I love about Michelin sports range is they are generally great in the dry and wet conditions.