TYRES - What should I get next ?

I personally won't be buying the ASY3s again. Not impressed with them one bit if i'm honest. I'd go with the Contisport 5s.

Had a pair of contisport5 on my front before my puncture a few days ago. They performed alright but the rim protection was just non-existent which is why I'm considering other brands...

I heard the Michelin pilot sport 4s had decent protection while still having good performance?

Had a pair of contisport5 on my front before my puncture a few days ago. They performed alright but the rim protection was just non-existent which is why I'm considering other brands...

I heard the Michelin pilot sport 4s had decent protection while still having good performance?

I’ve been using conti 5’s for a the last two cycles and they have been great in the wet and dry, even the ring they where spot on, but I wanted something with abit more life in them so trying Pilot sports out as they are supposed to offer another 7km more than other brands,

as for rim protection it’s kinda irrelevant unless you like to wang kerbs quite often

Michelin pilot sport 4s are supposed to be a really great tyre but i'm not sure they'd come in 215 or even 225 as they're aimed at high performance cars iirc.

I personally won't be buying the ASY3s again. Not impressed with them one bit if i'm honest. I'd go with the Contisport 5s.
yeah know where you are coming from..not the best tyre out there but decent..just thought i'd throw it in the mix...

Reactions: DS197
I’ve been using conti 5’s for a the last two cycles and they have been great in the wet and dry, even the ring they where spot on, but I wanted something with abit more life in them so trying Pilot sports out as they are supposed to offer another 7km more than other brands,

as for rim protection it’s kinda irrelevant unless you like to wang kerbs quite often

After having a few close calls with other drivers coming on my side of the road I'd rather be safe than sorry to be honest. Literally just tonight had a woman drove into my wing mirror in a car park while I was standing there waiting to get in my car.

Michelin pilot sport 4s are supposed to be a really great tyre but i'm not sure they'd come in 215 or even 225 as they're aimed at high performance cars iirc.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalo...RUTlEetHMYPworFTXTGzJzVwR6PufJDIaAtpxEALw_wcB

Sorry my punctuation balled up there I meant Pilot sport 4 but in plural form

The michelin pilot sport 4 is a great tire for the day to day, works incredibly well in wet and quite well in dry.

6AHaoVq.jpg

The michelin pilot super sport is much better in the dry but much worse in the wet

74vea1B.jpg

the michelin pilot sport cup2 works incredibly well in dry and you can drive normally in the wet, it will be what you use from now on.

RbHsh1O.jpg

The michelin pilot sport 4 is a great tire for the day to day, works incredibly well in wet and quite well in dry.

6AHaoVq.jpg

The michelin pilot super sport is much better in the dry but much worse in the wet

74vea1B.jpg

the michelin pilot sport cup2 works incredibly well in dry and you can drive normally in the wet, it will be what you use from now on.

RbHsh1O.jpg

Brilliant info !

Reactions: Glenn_Adam_Doble

6AHaoVq.jpg

74vea1B.jpg

RbHsh1O.jpg

Would you say the cup2 is worth the extra £30 per tyre more than the pilot sport 4?

Currently looking at contisport5 vs eagle F1s?

Same price so not sure which to go with...
I've always rated Continental. I've just had PS4s (PS4 plural) fitted to try something different but have been very happy on Contis

So far so good. Held up well on a track day at Castle Combe & no issues on road either. All I have done so far is a mainly motorway 12-1300 mile trip from northern Scotland to SW England for the track day plus a jolly down Cheddar Gorge, but that's pretty varied driving so yeah, I'd buy them again.

Reactions: papa
Appears the PS4 has become the go to tyre as of late..

PS4 was the clear winner in the evo tyre test this year and has won many other tyres tests.
@youngarthur found PS4 sidewalls a bit soft at Anglesea http://www.clio197.net/threads/michelin-pilot-cup-2s.54957/page-3

@Ruben203 's excellent post above with PS4, MPSS & Cup2s = PS4 is the go to daily tyre, esp if you live somewhere wet, but PSS are better in the dry, so I guess better for trackday (& Cup 2s more so, but with daily wet tradeoff)

I used MPSS on my 350z and they were amazing, in the dry & the wet. Found PS4 great too but sold the car soon after fitting.
evo's test last year concluded that MPSS were superior in the dry but lost out significantly elsewhere.

I'm deliberating my options; my car's mainly a daily but I enjoy trackdays and the car came fitted with 888Rs on Braid wheels. There's 2mm left on these & I'm a bit worried about the wheels getting damaged over the winter.

Have an offer of good value premium winters with lots of tread; 6 years old, but no signs of cracking etc
Forecast rumours of a 'big freeze', but these forecasts are unreliable, so may not need winters on the south coast!

Options:

1. Fit winters to Braids: £150 now then £400 replacing the 888s after next trackday in spring (when cashflow is better!)
2. Fit PS4 or PSS to Braids: £400 now (? put 888s on & off for one trackday £80 / just use the Michelins on track)
3. Keep Braids/888s just for track, buy 2nd hand wheels & put winters on: £300 now then £400 after next trackday
4. as per 3 but put PS4 or PSS on the second set of wheels to use all year round: £600 now then £400 after next trackday

Option 4 is looking very expensive, so reckon it's deciding between 1,2 & 3

Opinions welcomed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruben203