underbody tray

a flat surface fixed under the car to increase aerodynamic efficiency to the diffuser, just like in F1 but without the wooden planks

Last edited:
What does the underside of a Clio look like as it is? Is there massive room for improvement? Are you going to to be reducing cooling to anything important?

Also, when are you going to be using it at the speeds necessary for it to be of benefit?

I'm not saying don't bother, but I'd imagine if they've gone to the trouble of making the diffuser work then it'll have smoothed flow to it??

what mike said is true is it worth it? are u low enough for the pan to make a difference?

in a car with a full underbody tray, the faster you go the more downforce is created.this is because the underbody tray reduces the air disturbance(drag) exiting to the diffuser creating a low pressure zone ,and since the pressure under the car is lower than above this creates downforce

I dont personally think the cooling will be sufficient with this as it encloses exhaust as well, the diffuser stretches fairly far forward and has heat shielding etc already on it.

Also through the engine bay there would be no through flow as there is not exit even if the wheel arches are cut out for those vents it is minimal in comparison to how it is currently.

the cars come with a belly pan and rear diffuser so most of the underside is covered already, only bit exposed is the middle secton which only houses the centre section of the exhaust, cant see much benefit from it tbh.

in a car with a full underbody tray, the faster you go the more downforce is created.this is because the underbody tray reduces the air disturbance(drag) exiting to the diffuser creating a low pressure zone ,and since the pressure under the car is lower than above this creates downforce

This is true... if the floor of the car is low enough to the ground. The smaller the gap the more downforce. If the gap is bigger than a few inches, its not going to make any difference unless you can travel in excess of a few hundred miles an hour!

Your biggest problem will be heat from the exhaust as there will be less air flow over it.

These are just my thoughts! Sod everyone's advice and just give it a go.

seems difficult to implement because of this heat issue, especially with this blazing heat we have in the middle east. I'll do this if I have tons of cash and then I'll ignore the heating problems

Its a renault clio not a Ferrari F40, even if it did create perhaps 10kg of downforce at 100mph you'll never benefit from it.

Besides any downforce effect created by the car only starts to affect the car at 70mph, at which speed you wont be chucking it around any corners to gain for it.

Buy semi slick tyres = more grip. Problem solved and cheaper too!

This is what I'd do. The benefits would be so little I can't see it being worth the hastle, as others have said the car would need to dropped as well. Aerodynamics is a complicated issue