Using a Polisher

...tried out my polisher today (on my partners car first!!)...considering I was just trying it out, the car has come up a treat....got a nasty scuff out of the door and got rid of some swirling....question is...is there anything on the market to use to get residue off with the pollisher or should this be done only by hand??

You mean to buff it up after the polish has gone white? To be honest if you're using the correct amount of polish and working it long enough then a very quick wipe over with a microfibre should easily remove it all, no need to look into machine alternatives, just make sure you buff it straight after polishing or it'll go hard in the sun

...I think my problem is not knowing how much polish to use.....I was trying different amounts but eventually settled at two 5mm thick beads in a X on the pad, and working it until it was only just visible....still took some getting off tho! My car is white so I always find bits of residue that I have missed on the day...which is annoying!

I'd say a 5mm thick bead is probably too much, i normally damp the pad with a spray of water which helps when you have a dry pad and do a big x to get the pad ready. After that i normally just do one line across the pad, probably 3mm thick. Just need to keep trying until you get it right.

One thing, you almost always have to work the polish for longer than you think, 5 minutes per area is about right to break it down properly

Waaaaay too much for anything other than your first set. Be careful not to apply too much water too, or it will sling the polish over the rest of your car, as you increase RPM

Less is better, but not too little, as it will dry out and your pad will rub on your paint.