What is your preferred engine oil?

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
So I just got an alert on my dash saying to top up the engine oil. Had a quick google and most of the threads about it are coming up to 10 years old, hence, they are probably outdated.

Wondering if anyone has any preference to a certain brand?

So I just got an alert on my dash saying to top up the engine oil. Had a quick google and most of the threads about it are coming up to 10 years old, hence, they are probably outdated.

It's usually best to stick with the same stuff that was put in when the car was last serviced, however if you don't know this info any decent Fully Synthetic 5w40 oil will be fine.

I've had the Shell Helix Ultra stuff in mine for the last 2 services and it has been spot on. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shell-Hel...272266&hash=item27d9a75534:g:~IMAAOSwnJVZmwfZ

or you could just get a litre of the OEM stuff from our good friends over at RPD as linked above

When was your last serviced? Maybe it's worth treating the car to an oil and filter service - a kit is around £35 delivered from Renault Parts Direct, genuine filter and ELF Oil!

Reactions: sevenfourate
pretty sure there was a thread with a poll too..anyone knows where it has gone??

Specific to my car, I'm planning on doing a gearbox oil change next weekend, reckon I can old off topping the oil up till then? I don't know how conservative the warning on the dash is. Would be nice just to do both changes at the same time.

Specific to my car, I'm planning on doing a gearbox oil change next weekend, reckon I can old off topping the oil up till then? I don't know how conservative the warning on the dash is. Would be nice just to do both changes at the same time.

I wouldn't personally in my car. Have you checked on the dipstick ?

Top up with something cheap - then do the lot at the weekend perhaps.......

box oil is simple..the engine oil may be a bit trickier as there';s literally no room in the bay..do you want to do filter too??

box oil is simple..the engine oil may be a bit trickier as there';s literally no room in the bay..do you want to do filter too??
If it isn't a huge amount more work might as well. Will be doing this with standard jacks/axle stands so could be a bit tight...

Check the oil with the dipstick, then make a decision based on what you see - if you’re hardly doing any miles and it’s not bang on the min I’d be comfortable hanging it out, but it’s a decision ultimately you have to make.

Doing oil and filter on stands is fine, have you got a decent pair of filter removal pliers or a band removal tool? It’ll make a bit of a mess so worth having some brake cleaner to tidy up after yourself. I’m not sure one of the cap type removal tools fits.

Remember drain plug key is 8mm square bit key, £5 from Halfords.

As I said before, I’d source all genuine bits and oil from RPD, free delivery and honestly the price of the genuine stuff is actually as cheap as the pattern stuff in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pav
I wouldn't personally in my car. Have you checked on the dipstick ?

Top up with something cheap - then do the lot at the weekend perhaps.......

Only reason I'm not too keen on doing this is because I'll be doing it in a car park, with no tools. I'll have to buy a funnel from halfords then will have no where to store it after :think:

Ok so I dipped my car today and the oil level didn't even get to the minimum mark.

Went out and bought a 1l bottle and put about half in but I'm still getting a warning to top up. Waiting for engine to cool down before I dip it again.

Do you think I could put the whole bottle in or would that be too much?

Attachments

• 20171011_092945.jpg
    20171011_092945.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Ok so I dipped my car today and the oil level didn't even get to the minimum mark.

Went out and bought a 1l bottle and put about half in but I'm still getting a warning to top up. Waiting for engine to cool down before I dip it again.

Do you think I could put the whole bottle in or would that be too much?

Please don't cause more damage by starting the car. Add oil in 500ml increments until it's close to the max. When did you last service the car/check the oil?

I only bought the car about a month ago so I will have to check in the service book. From memory the last recorded change was a month before I got the car, but I'm not certain on that.

Bare in mind this is just a temporary fix until I do a total oil replacement next weekend. Just seeing that dip stick made me actually go out and buy a liter just to keep it going for the next few days.

EDIT: Just went out to dip the car again. Now it's showing half way up imbetween max and min. Plus the dash is showing two circles on the scale when I start the car. That should keep it going for a week. Will keep an eye on levels to make sure there isn't a problem.

Last edited:
Fuchs Titan Race Pro S for me, although the cheap 5l+1l offer no longer seems to be available unfortunately.