Windscreen 'protection' ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
I'm busy collecting together the products for my start of year monster-detail.....

Whats everyone using on their glass for added protection (Not something i've ever bothered with before) !

GTechniq G1 perhaps ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131931956561?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or a similar hydrophobic type product by one of the detailing companies ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151184889582?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or perhaps good old RainX ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302141984093?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or something i dont know about !!!

Thoughts welcomed; clean-freaks......... :smile:

yeah i have the G1 on mine..works well but be ready for a hard time laboring..my arm hurt like **** after it..
not sure its needed though Syer..i personally dont see the point..you will always have to use your wipers no matter what anyway..just personal experience here for you..

yeah i have the G1 on mine..works well but be ready for a hard time laboring..my arm hurt like **** after it..
not sure its needed though Syer..i personally dont see the point..you will always have to use your wipers no matter what anyway..just personal experience here for you..

I agree pretty much Pav. Why i've never done anything in the past. I just clay mine when ive got the clay out and water runs off great after that.

Really Pav (On the arms nearly falling off) ? This isnt just a wipe on product then ?

I thought these nano-coatings were a simple wipe-on affair........??

I'm going to clear a unit at work, get a guy in and both of us can go at it for a full weekend. Going to be bad enough as it is - without killing myself on JUST a windscreen.

it isnt no..you get 2 bottles in the pack..one is to be applied and left for a bit,and then you use the 2nd bottle to remove the 1st layer of G1..
basically you get a G1 and G2 bottle in the pack..G1 is the hydrophobic protection and G2 is to remove it from your windscreen (not the properties of the product if you know what i mean)..like waxing your car basically..

Would also be interested to the results of this thread - my screen is a bit of a nuisance lately and some protection on it wouldnt go amiss!

G1 is good but I didn't enjoy the fussy application with a tiny applicator pad and then G2 (basically Isopropyl Alcohol) to remove the residue.

I prefer H2Go by Angelwax. All it requires is a bit of prep work, namely Carpro Ceriglass or alternative and then you spray onto an applicator pad, apply in circular motions, leave for 15 minutes and then apply another layer, and leave for another 15 minutes, then buff off. Good for 3 months.

After that time, after cleaning the car like normal, I apply a quick coat, and buff off after 15 minutes. A lot easier and H2Go is a lot lot cheaper.

You want to get the glass as clean as possible. If you were to pour water onto the screen, you see areas where the wipers have been etc. After using ceriglass, when you pour water on, it sort of sits there, it diesnt bead or sheet off, it just sits on the glass, which is when you know that its totally clean and ready for the windscreen protection.

I could do a quick video of the application on Sunday if you like? I need to reapply it anyway...

Reactions: ///M
G1 is good but I didn't enjoy the fussy application with a tiny applicator pad and then G2 (basically Isopropyl Alcohol) to remove the residue.

I prefer H2Go by Angelwax. All it requires is a bit of prep work, namely Carpro Ceriglass or alternative and then you spray onto an applicator pad, apply in circular motions, leave for 15 minutes and then apply another layer, and leave for another 15 minutes, then buff off. Good for 3 months.

After that time, after cleaning the car like normal, I apply a quick coat, and buff off after 15 minutes. A lot easier and H2Go is a lot lot cheaper.

You want to get the glass as clean as possible. If you were to pour water onto the screen, you see areas where the wipers have been etc. After using ceriglass, when you pour water on, it sort of sits there, it diesnt bead or sheet off, it just sits on the glass, which is when you know that its totally clean and ready for the windscreen protection.

I could do a quick video of the application on Sunday if you like? I need to reapply it anyway...

Sounds good @Greg0986

Yea - I'd love to see a video please !!! Nice one :smile:

Indeed I did, just the application though, as I don't want to get it wet for about 12 hours. Next time it's raining, or when it's filthy (probably tomorrow), I'll put the hose on it and get the beading.

First time recording, but as normal, I'll get better the more I do it. As you can see in the vid, I applied as much as I could to where the wipers sweep, as the outside of this will bead for months, but the wipers will slowly degrade the protection. Side windows last months as nothing is in contact with it. What I didn't say at the end is leave for 15 minutes then buff off as usual :smile:

Just like applying wax yes. I applied this, went around the car and applied wax and then once I got all the way around I buffed it off.

It'll do all your glass for years, I've had this bottle for about a year and its only half empty (or half full if your that type of guy) :tongueout:

Indeed I did, just the application though, as I don't want to get it wet for about 12 hours. Next time it's raining, or when it's filthy (probably tomorrow), I'll put the hose on it and get the beading.

First time recording, but as normal, I'll get better the more I do it. As you can see in the vid, I applied as much as I could to where the wipers sweep, as the outside of this will bead for months, but the wipers will slowly degrade the protection. Side windows last months as nothing is in contact with it. What I didn't say at the end is leave for 15 minutes then buff off as usual :smile:

found someone local who sells H2GO, so got me a bottle. applied it yesterday and washed the car today. water just flies off the glass!

washed the window first. then clayed the glass (boot window was an eyeopener). then the H2GO. fairly easy to apply. very economical to use. curious how long it lasts.