Wiring cornering lights to full beam?

l33th3tr33

Paid Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has hard wired the cornering lights to come on with the full beam?

My main concern is it taking power away from the full beam, if they do then I would have thought that having half the voltage distributed evenly between the two bulbs would effectively give out the same output. If that's not the case then I'd like to get them wired up to get full power but I need to figure out how to do that. Not sure what the beam pattern will be like but it's extra light regarless so I can't see a downside.

I think they're only side light bulbs so they don't give out a lot of light anyway, also there might be some legal aspect as to why they only come on under 30mph?

As to the whole halving voltage thing let's start over, if you wire them in parallel voltage is the same to both lights, current (i.e light output) is the result of the resistance across each lamp (V/R), since lamps are commonly stated in watts its (P/V), basic ohms law. Basically the voltage is equal and the current is the sum of the loads, in series it's the other way around so the lamps are dimmer:

light%20bulbs,%20series%20&%20parallel.jpg

So all you really need to do is tap a live from the headlight with a scotch block and ground the negative to the chassis, simples.

Last edited:
I think they're only side light bulbs so they don't give out a lot of light anyway, also there might be some legal aspect as to why they only come on under 30mph?

As to the whole halving voltage thing let's start over, if you wire them in parallel voltage is the same to both lights, current (i.e light output) is the result of the resistance across each lamp (V/R), since lamps are commonly stated in watts its (P/V), basic ohms law. Basically the voltage is equal and the current is the sum of the loads, in series it's the other way around so the lamps are dimmer:

View attachment 112361

So all you really need to do is tap a live from the headlight with a scotch block and ground the negative to the chassis, simples.

Brilliant! I've asked on specific headlight forums and even they couldn't give me a clear answer. Which live would be best to tap into? I assume taking it from the high beam connector wouldn't be the best idea as the wire is so thin, but then it's a case of getting them to come on at the same time as the high beams. Do you have or know of anyone that has a wiring diagram for the headlight plugs? Thanks, Really appreciate it!

I posted a wiring diagram for the lights on your Xenon thread...

0155_a3-jpg.111367

The separate light on its own is the corner light i think with its wiring coming from the lighting ECU (#989), I have details for the pin outs but I'll have to dig them out once I get home...

You should be able to just tap in near the light connector as I can't imagine the additional current draw will be huge, the fuse should be rated to protect the cable so I wouldn't expect it to start melting etc. You could check the current with a multimeter (measured in amps but you need to be in series with the load so it's not as easy as reading volts).

If your really worried you could add a relay and wire in a fused supply for the corner lights from the battery etc. I can sketch you up a quick diagram if you need it...

I posted a wiring diagram for the lights on your Xenon thread...

0155_a3-jpg.111367

The separate light on its own is the corner light i think with its wiring coming from the lighting ECU (#989), I have details for the pin outs but I'll have to dig them out once I get home...

You should be able to just tap in near the light connector as I can't imagine the additional current draw will be huge, the fuse should be rated to protect the cable so I wouldn't expect it to start melting etc. You could check the current with a multimeter (measured in amps but you need to be in series with the load so it's not as easy as reading volts).

If your really worried you could add a relay and wire in a fused supply for the corner lights from the battery etc. I can sketch you up a quick diagram if you need it...
I didn't realise you'd posted this already, thanks!
I think I'd rather make up a separate loom with a relay to keep it completely isolated from the high beam to ensure it doesn't reduce power to any of the existing lights, if you could sketch something up that would be amazing, I'd really appreciate it!
Again, thank you!