Wrist watch check...

So what's the general opinion on Seiko? My dad passed his down to my brother and then down to me. From then on I always bought them. I love the Astron models but is a Seiko really worth £1k plus?!
Saying that, there were some tasty G-Shock's at Gatwick fetching £660 and £900+ respectively!

Reactions: sevenfourate
So what's the general opinion on Seiko? My dad passed his down to my brother and then down to me. From then on I always bought them. I love the Astron models but is a Seiko really worth £1k plus?!
Saying that, there were some tasty G-Shock's at Gatwick fetching £660 and £900+ respectively!

Check out the Urban Gentry channel on you tube, when I first started watching he came across a bit of a d**k with his omega's & Rolex collection etc, however when you dig deeper he seems like a nice guy and reviews a real mix of watches - anyway he really rates Seikos SKX gets a mention in most videos and appears lots of collectors have a seiko in their collection somewhere, certainly opened my eyes to 'real' watches and an appreciation for them as apposed to the 'fashion' brands with cheap quartz movements thats pushed by most retailers.

Reactions: Micah
Ok so been watch hunting again, for a while now the Seiko SKX has been on my mind like the colour combination so bit the bullet and ordered this little one and some nato straps for it also a zulu strap not tried them before:
91VgVnDQpuL._UY445_.jpg
Also another one I have been considering is a Casio A158WA I bought my dad one back in the 90's and its his only watch its still going and I just have a fondness for it because my dad has one so ordered that to for £17 whats not to like:

41qe7mM6sRL.jpg

While the A158WA sat in my basket my mind starting wondering to the Casio F91 W I had one when I was young along with the calculator watch also had 2 Casio game watches...also had one a few years back and I have no idea where it ended up to so for £7 I thought why not fun little watch and damn cheaper than car parts:

51Q8M0yXAIL._UX466_.jpg

So waiting for them to arrive...now!

Ok so been watch hunting again, for a while now the Seiko SKX has been on my mind like the colour combination so bit the bullet and ordered this little one and some nato straps for it also a zulu strap not tried them before:
View attachment 18843
Also another one I have been considering is a Casio A158WA I bought my dad one back in the 90's and its his only watch its still going and I just have a fondness for it because my dad has one so ordered that to for £17 whats not to like:

View attachment 18846

While the A158WA sat in my basket my mind starting wondering to the Casio F91 W I had one when I was young along with the calculator watch also had 2 Casio game watches...also had one a few years back and I have no idea where it ended up to so for £7 I thought why not fun little watch and damn cheaper than car parts:

View attachment 18847

Ha ha ha.

This thread 'kick-started' you into life Kev ?

Reactions: kevlar
No have to explain these to the wife...I know she wont have it one Casio cost £7...perhaps I can tell her the SKX was £7 to...

View attachment 18843

View attachment 18846

View attachment 18847

I used to buy these F91 W watches for work. Once they were too battered & bashed I'd buy another. I did read somewhere, but can't confirm if it's true, that wearing one of these watches was at one point a red flag for the American security services as they had been used in terrorist bombs in the middle east! Sounds highly improbable that wearing a cheap Casio watch would suggest affiliation to terrorist organisations, but there you go!

Just bought my GF this for her birthday next Wednesday.

Swarovski-Graceful-Lady-Watch-Purple-5261472-W600.jpg

Its true, saw some videos they were used for bombs...

I used to buy these F91 W watches for work. Once they were too battered & bashed I'd buy another. I did read somewhere, but can't confirm if it's true, that wearing one of these watches was at one point a red flag for the American security services as they had been used in terrorist bombs in the middle east! Sounds highly improbable that wearing a cheap Casio watch would suggest affiliation to terrorist organisations, but there you go!

Reactions: Johnny 99
Sporting one of my Tags today, this is my favourite style wise unfortunately I wore it almost everyday for 3 years without servicing it and now the date adjustment is knackered.

IMG_20170505_123133.jpg

Reactions: kevlar and Chris
Hey all, just wondering what you guys think about the whole 'homage' thing...I hate any type of fake clothing etc now Steinhart are a fairly respected watch maker and yes there are some divided opinions on them for sure on the net, however I really like some of their watches namely the Ocean 1 black GMT with ceramic bezel...

SteinhartOceanGmtBlack4L.jpg

I like it just because I like it, not because it resembles a Rolex. The fact I will never own a Rolex is neither here nor there!.

To me its just designed for a certain market, just like Rolex is designed for a certain market.

Well having a homage from a reputable brand is not to be sniffed at unlike having a fake. I dont have any issue with them. Sounds like you want it because you like it and not interested in buying a Rolex which is faultless reasoning and you should get it. If you wanted it because it looks like a Rolex but you dont want to wear a fake then i would suggest not buying it as you will always still want a Rolex.

Ive taken quite a fancy to this English brand most of which are a lookalike in some way.

https://www.christopherward.hk/watches/motorsport

I also quite like this new brand but there designs are very much original

https://www.sevenfriday.com/en-hk/home/

Neither brand is that expensive comparatively speaking.

Well having a homage from a reputable brand is not to be sniffed at unlike having a fake. I dont have any issue with them. Sounds like you want it because you like it and not interested in buying a Rolex which is faultless reasoning and you should get it. If you wanted it because it looks like a Rolex but you dont want to wear a fake then i would suggest not buying it as you will always still want a Rolex.

Ive taken quite a fancy to this English brand most of which are a lookalike in some way.

https://www.christopherward.hk/watches/motorsport

I also quite like this new brand but there designs are very much original

https://www.sevenfriday.com/en-hk/home/

Neither brand is that expensive comparatively speaking.

Was checking out c ward watches, i liked the red bezel trident, however seems they upset the watch world by having big sales where example in april the trident divers with the previous logo on were half price - then the new logo versions appeared full price...same watches just a logo change.

I think they do some nice watches though perhaps worth waiting for the next sale!.

Yeh the steinhart I just like the watch regardless its a homage - i guess most watches are an homage in some way in reality, seems steinhart do a quality watch - interestingly seems many rolex owners also have a steinhart to i read on one forum a guy has a rolex and the homage version which he uses to travel with which i can understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been drawn to the Astron range - what do you reckon?

http://amjwatches.co.uk/seiko-astron.html

@kevlar - scrap that thought - I've been looking for something with the same functionality as the Astron for quite a while now, and at a reasonable price. I've been keeping an eye on the G-Shock range (Maharishi special editions) and saw the newly released GPW-1000 1AER fitted the bill.
At Bluewater today looking to change my iPhone 7 to the Plus model and decided it's not worth it until the new iPhone is announced later this year. By chance I wandered past Fraser Hart and they had it on display. Popped in to try it and they priced matched it against an online site I found. I'm really made up with it, and doesn't look TOO ridiculous on my child-like wrists. Although expensive, it's easily half the price of the Astron.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13e7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13e8.jpg

Apple Watch going back to the boss next week!