Xenon lights misbehaving...

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
Hi all,
having a bit of trouble with my xenon headlights.

When I turn them on they come on and don't move up or down. I was under the impression when they turn on they will instantly start moving for a few seconds to level, mine do not seem to do this.

Also, I thought the xenon lights were meant to rise up when you turn main beam on so they contribute to the main beam. Mine definitely just stay at the same level they were when they turn on.

Any idea what could be causing this? I've heard the sensors can get water in them and stop working but does that explain the lights not rising on main beam? Could it be the mechanism that makes them move?

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a while, I've heard this resets them. I have manual adjusters so can't really help but it's worth a try.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a while, I've heard this resets them. I have manual adjusters so can't really help but it's worth a try.
Will try that tonight.

Just finished giving the car it's first wash so gonna let it dry before messing with electronics

have a look at all fuses too to make sure none are fried, it's still a possibility.

Assuming those are the ones under the steering wheel?

Already had to replace the radio/wiper fuse so got a few of the blade fuses knocking around.

It could be one of the sensors on the front or rear axle. I think you may be able to find out which one it is by using CLIP.

It could be one of the sensors on the front or rear axle. I think you may be able to find out which one it is by using CLIP.

Looks like a professional job then as I dont have CLIP. Any good places around staffordshire that will do it and roughly how much does it cost?

Looks like a professional job then as I dont have CLIP. Any good places around staffordshire that will do it and roughly how much does it cost?
RS Four Ashes seem to get good reviews from owners. Unfortunately not too sure for the cost but I can't imagine it being a lot

Ok I've had another look at them and I think I was wrong about them not moving when they get turned on.

They start really low down then move to the normal height really fast. So the mechanism that moves them is functional.

Now I cant figure out why they don't move higher than below knee height when I turn the main beam on. They don't move at all...

Also, looks like £50 for a diagnostic test at four ashes. Might be worth doing if I can't figure it out in the next day or two...

Im not sure if mine raise in highbeam, but the colour of the highbeam light is more yellow so I thought they just kinda crossed over. My old beamer with xenons didn't raise on high beam either.

Im not sure if mine raise in highbeam, but the colour of the highbeam light is more yellow so I thought they just kinda crossed over. My old beamer with xenons didn't raise on high beam either.

Looking in the handbook it says:

"Depending on the vehicle, when you change to main beam headlights, the dipped beam headlights raise to improve lighting."

With the Xenons being the highest spec lights for the 197 I would have thought they have this feature? Plus I've seen a couple of people mention that this is a feature for the 197 xenons...

Looking in the handbook it says:

"Depending on the vehicle, when you change to main beam headlights, the dipped beam headlights raise to improve lighting."

With the Xenons being the highest spec lights for the 197 I would have thought they have this feature? Plus I've seen a couple of people mention that this is a feature for the 197 xenons...

You are probably right bud, but I haven't noticed it however. I do need to adjust my lights though, they are a little low.

You are probably right bud, but I haven't noticed it however. I do need to adjust my lights though, they are a little low.

I do have a set of nightbreakers waiting to go in for the main beam. Just waiting on replacing the solenoid on the fuel cap to make sure my electrics are not playing up. Would be annoying to put them in only for the car to blow them straight away.

Current main beams are super yellow and pretty dark. Also angled quite low too, going to try and adjust them tonight when it gets darker.

I do have a set of nightbreakers waiting to go in for the main beam. Just waiting on replacing the solenoid on the fuel cap to make sure my electrics are not playing up. Would be annoying to put them in only for the car to blow them straight away.

Current main beams are super yellow and pretty dark. Also angled quite low too, going to try and adjust them tonight when it gets darker.

Thats going to be my job soon, some decent high beam bulbs and replace the D2S bulbs. They arn't bad, but I suspect new bulbs wouldn't go amiss!

I'll try and post some pics tonight of the current state of the headlights. Might help with diagnosing if there is something wrong or i'm just being picky

this!

have you made sure both sensors are still connected with the small ball jointed arm to the suspension?

this!

have you made sure both sensors are still connected with the small ball jointed arm to the suspension?
Will be checking that tomorrow when I have more light.

It would be nice to know what exactly the self leveling feature does on the 197. The handbook is so generic it doesnt specify.

Is it meant to adjust beam height based on the pitch of the car (So as you go over a hill it will dip)? Is it only meant to compensate for weight on the back of the car (Tried sitting on the back and the beam moved about 10cm up on the surface and didnt move down to compensate)? Is it meant to use the Xenons as a full beam as well as dipped (Seems a waste of really powerful light if it isnt)?

I'm getting significant movement when I first turn the engine on but I'm really not noticing any sort of leveling while driving and all the tests I've tried doing don't make them move either. Perhaps a dodgy sensor or maybe they are not meant to move in any of these situations? :think:

If you have the tools you can measure the resistance of each potentiometer... Items #1372/73

0121_a3-jpg.111368

I can't remember the range off hand but the rear sensor is easiest to get at...

I'm not convinced about the whole going up on full beam malarkey, when my lights have got possessed and shone up to the stars you blind the hell out of oncoming traffic and get flashed at all the time. :oops:

I think if your on flat ground you should see the up/down middling etc. but I don't think it's all the time and I've never seen it do it whilst I'm driving? A good test is to park on a slight slope, they should go up/down and level off.

I've always found it to be due to corrosion in the connector rather than a failed sensor, give them a clean and see if it makes a difference.

Did you sort this bud?

I noticed this weekend gone that on the motorway my headlights would end up facing really far down after going over a crest for example and take ages to level out. I also noticed that they do raise on high beam. Driving normally around town I haven't noticed anything untowards except sometimes in traffic the lights will flicker up and down a little. I'm guessing the rear sensor is knackered.