Xenon lights misbehaving...

Discussion in 'Body Work and Exterior Lights' started by Barney626, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Barney626

Barney626 Winner - POTM December 2017 Paid Member

Loughborough
    Clio 197 - Nimbus
    Definitely getting to the point of looking at CLIP.

Actively figuring out whether I have an old laptop to put a 32bit system on. Can you not emulate a 32bit in the 64bit?

2. tcw

tcw Paid Member

Chelmsford
    Clio 197
    I suspect you could happily run it in Virtual Box - though I haven't done it myself.

3. Barney626

Loughborough
    Clio 197 - Nimbus
    So had the car up to do an oil change today and got a bit more access to the front sensor. Tried looking at it with my head positioned by the first cat on the exhaust and saw this:

F8RuspS.jpg

Think I may have found the problem. Frayed wire coming out of the connection to the sensor. Presumably the loose wire (Furthest left one) has been brushing back across the stub causing an intermittent signal?

Any idea how to fix this one? The access to it is horrific on jacks so might end up sending it into the garage just so they can get at it on a lift...

4. link

link Gold Member

Clio 197 RB
    Good find! You might be able to solder the two wires together once you get it out but I'd guess it will need a new a crimp putting on. Given how hard it is to get at that won't be easy, can you can unclip the loom to drop it down underneay the subframe to work on?

[​IMG]

The connectors are usually made by AMP but there's so many variations finding the right one can be a PITA. I think Renault can supply them individually but knowing Renault they will try to sell you the whole loom. I've had a quick scout through dialogs and this is the only one that looks similar to me...

Untitled.jpg

* disclaimer, there are 40 pages of connectors!

Proper AMP crimp tools are mega money, you can just use pliers if you need to but I've got a set of these which come in handy:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/universal-...iers-engineer-pa-20-/261110204270?_mwBanner=1

Glad you're getting to the bottom of it :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. link

link Gold Member

Clio 197 RB
    I've done it using VMware and an old version of windows XP, works fine and cost free.:smiley:

6. link

link Gold Member

Clio 197 RB
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Barney626 likes this.
  7. Barney626

Loughborough
    Clio 197 - Nimbus
    Cheers for the epic research link.

Have left it a few days since I moved that wire out of the way and since then I haven't had them flick up. So fingers crossed as a temporary fix this will hold until I can figure out how to properly repair it.