Your favourite detailing products...........

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
Rubbish weather, dirty roads = filthy cars !

So no better time to talk about your favourite / most used products you use on your French pocket-rocket. If your anything like me you've got 'lots' of lotions and potions around. Some you've not got around to using, some you opened and didn't like, some you bought on a whim etc etc etc. But then there are those perennials that you just can't shake off.....(No pun intended)

What i'm going to do here is to tell you about my most used / everyday favourites. Things i like for a reason, and things i always come back to. Price / make / status symbol irrelevant.

And if your anything like me - you've got multiples of these in your "stores" !!

I hope a few of you clean-freaks share your fave products here too with a few thoughts why........

IMG_5879_zpskhwrezdt.jpg

IMG_5875_zpsmtkqpq66.jpg

Snow-Foam:

As long as its PH neutral, smells good and clings like Rhino jizsm- its all good with me......

Shampoo:

This can vary for me......but at the end of the day is pretty much 'just' for lubrication if you've already pre-washed / snow-foamed / blasted with a jet-washer etc. Meguiars, Dodo-Juice etc have all featured. At the moment i'm on AutoGlym because i bought a whole box cheap !

I never let my wheels get very bad; so i use a cheaper non-destructive variant on these. My choice being Triplewax because its often on offer at £2 for a large bottle in Wilko's.

Inside trim:

Armour-all Semi-Matt. Been using this on bikes and cars for donkey's years. Last's well. Dry's great. Non greasy. Easy to use. Super finish.....

Wheel-sealer:

Auto-Brite wheel seal. Has (And i quote) : "...the latest polymers and cross linking anti-corrosion amino functional silicones it delivers an unrivalled level of protection that only nano technology can provide".

Surely that means it must be awesome ? PMPL.

Been using this a while. Gets topped up with a coat of my QD wax of choice afterwards too.

Windows:

Angelwax H2GO. Not actually used this yet as i normally clay-bar windows when i go that far. And thats it. So will be interesting to see if i'm smitten with a window protection - or can't actually tell the difference :smile:

Polish:

I'm sure i'm with alot of people here: Plain and simple known favourites that just work:

Autoglym SRP for the paintwork itself.
Poorboys Blackhole - for bumpers, diffuser etc.

Wax / Sealer:

I've been a long-time fan of using something hard-as-nails / long lasting underneath for the protection. And then using a QD spray after every 3 or 4 washes to give you the shine and final finish.

My old sealant of choice was Dodo-Juice Supernatural Hybrid. On the next big upcoming detail i'm going to try Collinite. And as usual i shall be topping that with my ever favourite:

Sonax BSD. Great on all the paintwork inc underside of the bonnet, door-shuts, around the boot-lid etc. As with a lot of products; less is more when using this.

Exterior Plastics:

Auto-Finesse Revive. First shown to me by a Professional Detailer. and used by me since.
Lasts well. If used sparingly dry's well and is non greasy. Also turns any greying / weathered plastics Black very well indeed. Bottle needs shaking regularly even when actually applying the product.

Tyres:

Autoglym tyre shine. Been using this a while now. Cheap as chips and a bottle goes along way. Doesn't gloss and shine too much (Which i dislike) and lasts a few weeks which is great in my eyes ! And NEVER EVER flings up the side of the car.

So - what about you..........?

Reactions: Pav
Gets glowing reports and has a good following i know.

Does it last well Pav ? Easy to apply and remove ?
not cheap but i wouldnt trade it for anything else unless recommended by someone trustworthy..
so easy to apply and buff off that it makes me lazy :french:
last a few months too..its a win win..

also it makes the paint look very rich somehow..very sexy..been admiring it for over a week now..did mine last week..

Lot of similar products to what you've got Shuv.

Love the Sonax BSD that you recommended. That will be in the kit from now on.

Just used Autofinesse revive and Chemical guys Instawax which seem really good.

Autosol chrome polish for the scorpion tips

ArmorAll Leather wipes for those folk that need them:wink:

AG instant tyre dressing is so good but how messy is it??

detail .png

Reactions: sevenfourate
Right ok here goes...

Sorry no pics but it's far too cold to be bothered going to the garage to take some specially

Snow-Foam:

Only bought a foam lance recently and currently using Bilt Hamber autofoam which seems good so far but nothing to compare it to yet

Shampoo:

Again not really got a preferred brand, currently using the auto glymm one which seems up to the job but used quite a few others and unless really cheap ones I can't really tell too much of a difference

Inside trim:

Meguiars dash and trim restorer - does the job and something that I've always used and have never had any issues or felt the need to change to something different

Wheel-sealer:

Currently using the poorboys one which is good but wish it lasted a little longer.
Wheels need a refurb ideally so not been paying that much attentiomn to sealing them recently

Windows:
H2GO on the exterior which is awesome and seems to last months
Meguiars glass cleaner (not sure of the official name) on the inside and on the exterior if it doesn't need H2GO

Polish:
Depends on what it needs to be honest
G3 for actually removing scratches, marks etc - does exactly what it's intended to but find it horrible powdery stuff to work with
Autoglym SRP is another favourite of mine
Also a big fan of the Poorboys white diamond / black hole - find that this gives it a deeper shine and fills swirls really well

Wax / Sealer:
Tried quite a few over the years:
Currently using the Fusso for light cars - one of the best sealents / waxes I've used and the beading is epic
Also a fan of the poorboys wax (the blue one - can't remember the actual name of it) - smells awesome and is good for the price - currently only using it for door shuts, underside of bonnet etc due to using Fusso on the exterior
Also like to give it a coat of Carnuba wax sometimes (Summer or if going to shows etc) - have found the blackfire one to be good

Exterior Plastics:
Generally just use the Meguiars trim stuff that I use for the dash etc - has always seemed to do the job so again never felt the need to start buying / trying other products

Tyres:
Always stuck to the Meguiars tyre shine - seems to last a while and does't sling much if applied properly and left for 30 mins or so after application before driving

Look at you go you dark horse ! :smile:

Good to see Ben........

***I apply the tyre dressing by squirting on a rag and then wipe on the tyres. I take it you dont do this ?
Err no. But I might from now on...

Wheel sealer next for me. Be interested to see what's on everyone's list.

Good thread Shuv

Snow Foam/Pre-wash
I am currently using Krystal Kleen Detail Blizzard Xtreme. Works brilliantly. 5 litres doesn’t cost a massive amount. I have previously used KKD Blizzard, Bilt Hamber AutoFoam and Fireball Korea Active Snow Foam. The normal blizzard works well but doesn’t clean as well as Bilt Hamber, but I would say this is on par with the Xtreme version. Fireball Korea Snow Foam is probably the best I have used but it is quite expensive compared to the rest.

If I can't be bothered getting the pressure washer out, i will use Valet Pro Citrus Pre-Wash diluted in a pressure sprayer. Leave it to dwell 5-10 minutes and then rinse off and it works just as well as snow foam, if not better. Not as fun though :tongueout:

Shampoo
Again, I have used many so it’s difficult to pick a ‘favourite’. I started off like most people with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo. It cleans very well, lubricates well but doesn’t suds up as much as I would like (not like suds matter).

When I really got into detailing, I bought Dodo Juice Born to be Mild. That is a fantastic shampoo, lubes up well, smells awesome and cleans very well. Added bonus is that if you try and use it as snow foam, it produces really thick foam. I then went through a phase of using samples that came in the Waxybox’s that used to be available. I then settled on what I currently use now; CarChem 1900:1. Relatively cheap for 5 litres, cleans well, foams up well, smells divine, and highly dilutable.

Wheel Cleaner

I clean my car so often that I don’t really use a dedicated wheel cleaner. I have three buckets, two for the paint and one for the wheels. Squirt of cheap supermarket shampoo and then I use my wheel brushes which comprise of a normal sash brush, long spoke brush, arch brush and a stiff bristled brush for the tyres.

If I had to pick a wheel cleaner, it would be Autosmart Smart Wheels. If you use that at 1:3 or 1:4, you can see the dirt being pulled off the tyres. For ‘bleeding’ fallout remover, I like IronX but it’s quite expensive for the amount you get, which is why I now use Autosmart Red7. It’s almost like a gel so it sticks for ages allowing it to work.

Polish
This is a difficult one as I don’t really use polish unless I am correcting the paint. If it’s just to top up the paint before wax, I use Auto Finesse Tripple. I did use AutoGlym Resin Polish, and that still has a special place
in my detailing heart.

For proper correcting, I use the Menzerna range. Menzerna 400 for heavy swirls, 2200 for minor swirls and 3800 for a finishing polish. I did use the tried and tested Meguiars M105 and M205 but wanted a change and I am very happy with what I now have,

Wax
Soft 99 Fusso is all you really need to know. I started off with the ‘detailing starter kit’ Collinite 476s. Lasted ages, beaded well and gives good gloss. I then tried Collinite 845 which lasts as long as 476s but gives better gloss and is soooo much easier to apply. I have also used FinishKare 1000p which is as good as 476s but it’s real stand point is the temperature resistance. It lasts ages on wheels and means a simple pressure wash will remove most of the dirt.

I am now using Soft99 Fusso coat. The beads are insane. It was applied 2 weeks ago and has not been washed.

Glass Cleaner
This is a sore subject. Whichever glass cleaner I use, I can never get spotless glass unless I have used glass sealant. I started off with the traditional Fast Glass by Autoglym but soon moved over to Auto Finesse Crystal, which for me is the best glass cleaner currently available. As the cost however is so high, I moved onto Autosmart Glass Cleaner. A lot cheaper and cleans almost as well as Auto Finesse.

I tend not to use glass cleaner as the glass protection means a simple wash makes it clean. I use it more on the inside than the outside.

Glass Sealant
I started off with RainX, as do most people but after some research moved onto Gtechniq G1. It lasts years, literally years but costs a lot for not a lot of product. It also is a pain to apply which is why I now use H2Go. Easier to apply and much much cheaper but doesn’t last as long. Because of the ease of application however, I won’t be moving back. A few sprays on an applicator pad after a wash and then leave for 15 minutes before buffing is fine for me.

Inside Cleaner
Another Waxybox product gets this award. 50Cal Precision Interior Dressing. I got this in a Waxybox and loved it from the off. Cleaned well and smelled great. I haven’t really used anything else, as this lives in the glove box with a microfibre and a single spray onto the microfibre does the entire dash. I didn’t really clean the interior plastics as they never really got dirty, just dusty which a microfibre clost fixed.

For the seats, I use Autosmart Leather Cleaner. Dilutable, clean and with a decent scrub brush, leaves the seats non shiny. For the arm rests and carpets, I use Autosmart G101 diluted 30:1. Spray on, brush up the dirt and wipe with a microfibre. I also use it on my wet vax. Spray on, leave for a few minutes and vaccum. Added bonus is that if you use a foaming trigger sprayer, you can spray on and the foam will lift sand particles etc for vaccuming.

Tyres
Meguiars Tyre Gel. I bought three bottles of this when Halfords had everything on three for two. It leaves a nice matt finish if you buff 15 minutes after applying and lasts a surprisingly long time. When it runs out, I will be swapping to either KKD Tyresol, Gyeon Tire or Fireball Korea Tyre Wax Red which leaves a satin finish (as opposed to blue which leaves a shiny look).

Pro-tip: Buy a cheap sponge from halfords, cut it up and bam, 3 or 4 applicator pads that can be thrown away after use!. I'd rather pay £1 for 4 applicators than £4 for one applicator!

I will hopefully take pictures on Sunday of my ‘haul’. I am seeing the grandparents though so I might not have enough time to give it a clean. It is gopping at the moment as my sat nav decided to save me 1 whole minute and take me down a dirt track on the way back from a meeting on Wednesday…

Last edited:
Great post @Greg0986. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I dont actually snow-foam that much either these days. Another devotee of Valet Pro Citrus Pre-Wash...... :smile:

Re: Glass cleaner. How do you apply / remove ? Irrelevant of product; i also struggled to get glass near-spotless until i started using e-cloths. Which in essence means dabbing with clean water via a sponge after the cleaning stage, then wiping off with an e-cloth. As close as i've ever been to a really-decent finish. But at least its now better than just acceptable !

Glass is probably one of the hardest things to get 'perfect' thinking about it.....

Nice review of your faves @tomwigan.

Unsurprising; how we all share alot of the same loves between us !

I'm looking forward to trying the H2GO now. One thing we do all seem absolutely unanimous on :smile:

For glass, its a single spray on the glass and then wipe and buff with 2 separate glass cloths. Kent Car Care glass cleaning cloths are my go-to glass cloths. Mainly because I can get them at my local The Range for £1.