197 bumpers

Hi this is my first post on this site just been reading other posts,i dont have a 197 but have a mk3 1.6 i use this site as for the clio mk3 it is the best one i have found. Anyway to the point i would like to create a replica 197 i know the performance will not be matched but i love the flared arches and wider bumpers i just wondered how many panels would be an exact fit, thanks for reading id appreciate any help.

Welcome to the site mike.
The front bumper and wings would be a straight fit but not sure on side skirts or rear bumper(mainiy where it meets rear wings).
There are a few replicas around using none 197 rear wings, so it must be possible.
The wheels wouldn't fit though as the 197 has 5 bolts and yours has 4.
Good luck with the build though.

hi mike, out of interest, wouldnt it be cheaper for u to sell your 1.6 and buy a 197, rather than getting all the bits to make it look like a replica, paint it etc?

good on you for wanting to give it a go mate,

but if your gunna do it then makes sure its done correct with all the right parts other wise they look s**t.

like he ^^^^ said the L/Y one is best the replica i have seen.

Hi thanks for the quick replies guys didnt know how well it would go down building a replica. I would love to own a 197 and was going to buy one until i looked into insuring one im only just 20 with 3 points and no no claims so its probably cheaper to build a replica.

also i have seen the L/Y clio on ebay it is very nice but how did he get the 5 stud wheels are the 1.2 turbo 5 stud??

TBH the LY rep is going to be your best course of action IMO I know it would be great fun to do the work yourself but that rep looks really good! Not too certain how he changed to 5-stud pattern - I dont think the TCE is 5-stud just the 197. Im pretty sure that is possible to get 4-5 stud conversion kits so it might be that. The other option would have been changing the hubs, which would have been expensive!

To be honest I think we are more into cars than to say anything about making a rep! We can all appreciate that its not a cheap thing to run. Especially if you are young! Just promise us you will get a proper one when you can do lol :thumbup:

Once you've declared all the mod's Brembo's, new exhaust system, 17" wheels, new interior, body kit your insurance would probably as high as a 197.

I would find out the cost for insuring a 197 for a year, save up that cash over a year. See how well you managed it and if you coped with no hassle buy a 197 and with the money you saved as a trial run pay your insurance off for the year.

Then...enjoy the car, plus you'll have another years depreciation so they'll be cheaper again.