200 - adding a 5th seat belt

mellor1991

Paid Member
As above, is it legally possible to add a 5th or 3rd rear seat belt?

I need a 5th seat and noticed the 197 as having 5 belts, I really don’t want to sell the 200.

Cheers.

Providing the chassis hasn't changed you'd probably need the rear bench seats, belt and roof liner... Be a pain to do, and I think the V5 will state 4 seats so you could get in trouble with pc plod if you got stopped for any reason (unlikely I know).

Last edited:
It should be doable as the shell is that same on both. As has been said the bit it there on the roof for one although you would need to change seat base, possibly back and add the buckle in. The 200's are classed as a 4 seat car though with the DVLA and insurance so it may have to be tested somehow to be approved as a 5 seat car.

I've heard a few owners say the 200 is registered as 5 seats and others say 4 seats. I'll have a check of the V5.

Cheers for the responses!

It's definitely a 4 seater. I know this because I've a Clubsport cage installed and removed the rear bench. During an inspection a MOT (TÜV) inspector came to me and pointed at the part where it's written in the papers and told me that I've to get this corrected to 2 but he still let me pass.

All the mounting points are there as they were in the 197.

I know @Mossy has done this.

Was considering a 200 but needed 5 belts myself.

Reactions: Mossy
As above, is it legally possible to add a 5th or 3rd rear seat belt?

I need a 5th seat and noticed the 197 as having 5 belts, I really don’t want to sell the 200.

Cheers.

I have indeed done it and all bolts in.

But I did it more for my ocd as I installed a 197 rear bench.

Mot man tested all seatbelts and never mentioned anything so I'm not sure about the legalities.

You need a a different rear seat base as there isn't the room for the extra seat belt holder clasp holder. You also need to make you get the metal bracket that fits behind the c pillar plastic - it bolts to the car and the seatbelt runs through it - this is a must and will not be safe without it! And of course the seatbelt, the bolts and the extra seatbelt clasp holder. C pillar trims are the same also - you just have to remove the plastic cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy and Mark_L