A few questions

Smorgan7

Platinum Member
i have just got myself a snow foam and some iron x and was wondering if these are safe to use on the brake calipers? Im looking to take the wheels off and im abit paranoid about using these two in the arches and on the brakes.

Snow foam will be fine on the calipers and in the arches just give a good pressure wash off after you've let it settle to loosen up all the grit and grime.
I'm not to familiar with iron x, heard good things but haven't used it myself so can't comment on that one.
Just did a quick search for some info on the iron x
https://carpro.uk.com/products/iron-x-500ml

I would not use the iron x on the wheels while fitted to the car and if I did I would as normal drive the car a little way using the bakes to keep them clean and reduce the rusting on the discs. It is supposed to be safe as it is neutral PH but they do say this:
"Will Iron X affect brake calipers ?

For most high end calipers it will not affect them however we have heard from customers in the past that Iron X can affect the paint colour of low quality acrylic painted calipers. For this reason we advise you to be more careful not to spray on them."

Awesome thanks. I was doing a few odd jobs on the car and noticed how dirty it was inside the arches and and around the brake calipers so was hoping to get it clean again. Hopefully the snow foam will get rid of the brake dust.

I would not use the iron x on the wheels while fitted to the car and if I did I would as normal drive the car a little way using the bakes to keep them clean and reduce the rusting on the discs. It is supposed to be safe as it is neutral PH but they do say this:
"Will Iron X affect brake calipers ?

For most high end calipers it will not affect them however we have heard from customers in the past that Iron X can affect the paint colour of low quality acrylic painted calipers. For this reason we advise you to be more careful not to spray on them."

The wheels will be coming off the car so i can use the iron x on them. Im not too sure on the paint quality as its the standard brembo red from factory? Is this classed a low quality finish?

Brilliant video although i dont think ill go that extreme lol. He uses a tar remover that sounds simliar to the iron x and doesnt seem bothered about getting it on the brakes as he snow foams afterwards so i think ill be ok. Thanks for your replies guys

I did this kind of through clean for my Clio197, as i dont drive it anymore in winter.
I use all kind of solvant cleaners, de tar.. I protected brake calibers with plastic bags.
So long your calibers are in factory paint, i think you can safely use de-tar & iron-x products for cleaning.

20171018_170214.jpg\small

20171029_091837.jpg\small

Wow they are some seriously clean arches! Its raining here now so hoping to clean the car tomorrow if it stops raining

I've had no issues using Iron X on my painted calipers and have used on wheels on and off car. For best results take wheels off so you can get to the backs. Do not let dry and do not use on warm wheels or brakes.

Thanks for the advice, wheels will be coming off so i can clean the arches and calipers properly just need it to stop raining now so i can do it

I wish i could but i have my first kid being born in may so any trips away are a no go this year unfortunately

I should be ok for next year, ive always wanted to do spa in my own car. Ive been to watch the f1 there for the last 5 years

Similar Thread Suggestions