Anyone near London with Leather / Alcantara Recaros? + random pish thread

I think it was a nice 'last hurrah' for the Mk3, matte paint, nice wheels, leather Recaro's, white dials (albeit standard on late models), monitor and knob. Granted you could make your own, but it was something a little different.
What I don't like about them is the current inflated price, ridonculous if you ask me. Certainly not in the Trophy league of collectible, and when I say Trophy, I mean the Mk3 Megane. Mine, certainly not, just a name for a high spec Clio, but the Megane, that's a lovely car to be in, and used prices are fully justified in my opinion.
Aside the monitor you could’ve easily spec’d the rest.
Granted it may have been the last hurrah but seems random from Renault for not doing it with the 172 or 182’s!
Cup / trophy are the main flagship variants, granted the R27s represent the F1 world title.
The rest to me are pointless. It’s like the new mk4 clio which is black n yellow! Looks stunning but it’s like only 1 of 25 maybe 50. Pointless just for someone to wave their cock thinking it’s better because it’s got a badge saying it’s “special”

Edit it’s also £25k for the black and yellow Clio... for a clio, that’s easy Megane territory

Reactions: ///M
Yeah the red is nice... bitch to clean!

Still should’ve been an options colour... £2/3k extra? LY was most expensive £1.5k ??
I didn’t say I wanted to clean it:grinning:!!

£1.5k paint option! That’s quite a bit

Aside the monitor you could’ve easily spec’d the rest.
Granted it may have been the last hurrah but seems random from Renault for not doing it with the 172 or 182’s!
Cup / trophy are the main flagship variants, granted the R27s represent the F1 world title.
The rest to me are pointless. It’s like the new mk4 clio which is black n yellow! Looks stunning but it’s like only 1 of 25 maybe 50. Pointless just for someone to wave their cock thinking it’s better because it’s got a badge saying it’s “special”

Edit it’s also £25k for the black and yellow Clio... for a clio, that’s easy Megane territory

Good rant mate! You can lump the R27 in there for me too. Dynamically it’s no different to an FF cup packed car. Just a few posh bits of dressing.

Reactions: Beany
I didn’t say I wanted to clean it:grinning:!!

£1.5k paint option! That’s quite a bit

I know someone who has just paid slightly north of £6k for a full respray in LY. It’s bloody expensive paint apparently. You should see it though. It’s like liquid yellow glass. It’s unreal.

Reactions: Big Ben and Beany
Seriously guys not sure whats going on but, ill take the stickers lol i quite like them, even if mine are fake :wink:

Reactions: ///M
Seriously guys not sure whats going on but, ill take the stickers lol i quite like them, even if mine are fake :wink:

Mate, it's your car. Best to not give a flying funk what anyone else thinks. If you like it, that's what matters. There are always going to be chalk and cheese reactions to anything you do.

Reactions: ZaShark
@Marsch

I never saw your ‘bigger is better’ post, and clearly have skim-read this thread somewhat. I wasn’t poking fun....

More rubber: as In width with the 18’s. Presumably less sidewall profile. And that’s ride comfort....

And no you’re right. I most definitely didn’t buy my R.S. for comfort. Knowing how ‘crashy’ these cars can be on pot-holed UK roads - I’m dead sure I wouldnt want worse though.

For me these would be a step backwards for my requirements on my car. If I did ever fit 18’s - they would need to be very special. And I fail to see on what front these are.

As ever: good we all don’t agree on all points...

I see but then it's even more funny that you brought it up, too.

Yes, 40 compared to 45 are 5% less rubber but you've to halve that so it's a whopping 2.5% more "damping material". That's a little more than 5 mm if we're talking about 215's. I'm not sure if that's really noticable. I'd say it's actually more relevant how inflated you run your tires.

I'm not saying that what ///M said isn't true. Smaller and lighter rims of course have an advantage. I'm just saying that I think the difference is marginal and therefore neglible. Especially if you're not living on a racetrack.
I'll try to get a drive with one that's sporting light 17" at our meeting next month. Maybe it'll change my opinion. We'll see...

@///M: I'm wondering why you're still sporting these huge BBS rims on your 1M and haven't switched to something smaller and lighter already? :sunglasses:

Btw, I don't plan to visit the UK in the foreseeable future but I invite you to our meeting next month and would pay you the entrance fee (without accomodation) if you like. Then you can drive mine but I'd suggest you make an appointment with your dentist in before already. :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean197 and ///M
I see but then it's even more funny that you brought it up, too.

Yes, 40 compared to 45 are 5% less rubber but you've to halve that so it's a whopping 2.5% more "damping material". That's a little more than 5 mm if we're talking about 215's. I'm not sure if that's really noticable. I'd say it's actually more relevant how inflated you run your tires.

I'm not saying that what ///M said isn't true. Smaller and lighter rims of course have an advantage. I'm just saying that I think the difference is marginal and therefore neglible. Especially if you're not living on a racetrack.
I'll try to get a drive with one that's sporting light 17" at our meeting next month. Maybe it'll change my opinion. We'll see...

@///M: I'm wondering why you're still sporting these huge BBS rims on your 1M and haven't switched to something smaller and lighter already? :sunglasses:

Btw, I don't plan to visit the UK in the foreseeable future but I invite you to our meeting next month and would pay you the entrance fee (without accomodation) if you like. Then you can drive mine but I'd suggest you make an appointment with your dentist in before already. :wink:

Hello sweet-cheeks. So glad you're back.

Firstly, it's an M3, not a 1M.

There's one reason alone for why those wheels are still on my car. Looks. I think they're possibly the best looking OEM wheel ever, in my opinion. I had toyed with getting a new set of lightweight wheels for it, but now I have the Lotus to worry about so the BMW will definitely be staying as is. I'm aware of the handling and ride deficit that will cause. I also know it would be noticeable but I'm ok with it. This is one one of the things I was referring to when I was talking about lots of other manufacturers making odd decisions. Putting 19" wheels on the CSL was a stylistic decision on a car that by name is supposed to be a lightweight version. Odd decision indeed. Same as Renault putting heavy wheels on the R26.R

Incidentally, the Lotus also has very heavy cast wheels. From a manufacturer that claim to be all about saving weight. They'll be coming off for some lightweight ones soon. Lotus are great at making odd decisions. Like putting heavy Mini Metro mirrors on too...

If you went from your heavy 18's to some lightweight 17's I'd be absolutely stunned if you couldn't feel a difference in the steering and handling. It's not just the weight, it's about how the suspension behaves and how much more comfortable your ride will be too. Would you not prefer better handling, more grip, more direct steering feel, a less crashy ride? Until you try, you won't know how "marginal" it is will you?

Have you got over my use of the word "posh" yet?

xxx

Reactions: Benno and Beany
Not a big BMW fan but I have to say the e46 M3 is a great looking car.... and by far those are the nicest wheels on a BMW! Wouldnt go as far as Sean and say best aftermarket wheel ever