Nimbus 2008 197

Right. Oils done.

Had to go home as I don't have the tools needed to do it here, got there expecting to have all the oil delivered but the ELF engine oil hadn't arrived from amazon yet (It was still saying 'expected 20th October':think:)

So off we went to halfords and picked up 6L of Petronas Syntium 3000E 5W-40 oil. While I was there picked up an oil filter removal tool.

Started by draining the gearbox. The fluid had the consistency of water and had loads of grit in it while looking shit brown.
Drained the engine and got just over 4L out of it :oops:

jZT3OEm.jpg

Proceeded to try and get the old oil filter off, the tool from halfords was utter crap and ended up using a chain tool. It was screwed on so tight the filter got caved in...

h0HrWbe.jpg

New filter on, fill up the oils and all done.

Never figured out what this mystery plug was:

WZkSgDw.jpg

On the drive home gear box was noticeably smoother. Particularly the initial force required to get the gear in. It's not a massive difference but it's there and worth doing so I know what I actually have in. Only time will tell if it gets rid of the crunches I've been having...

So now that's out of the way, next up is probably new steering wheel and gear stick gaiter. Royalsteeringwheels says the wheel will be here on tuesday, then I just have to find the time to fit it. Already have a new gaiter but not sure how to fix it in. The silver trim around the base has staples holding the current one in, anyone know if I have to re-use these staples or is there a better way to do it?

Aircon will probably have to wait as I'd really need a garage to look at it and try to see if the dealers I bought the car from will pay for any repairs. Technically still in the 3 month warranty but not sure how willing they would be to do that kind of thing...

good job..glad all went relatively smoothly..what did you go for with RS???
Perforated leather on sides with smooth leather on top/bottom.

Wanted to try and keep it OEM looking but just increase the feel and quality of it.

I wouldn't put anything in the service book, just perhaps a receipt of the oil and filter you used and maybe a write a date on it.

Thats all i do for stuff i've done between services as-such ): Such as an 'extra' engine and g/box oil change).............jot down mileage and a date on the front of an envelope, along with what was done and then pop all receipts inside.

Then at service intervals i get the garage doing the work to stamp the book and of course keep those receipts too.

Not sure what parcel force can give me in terms of freebes? Don't want to mess the guys at royalsteeringwheels around...

Jack's alright, took me nearly two weeks to get my wheel swapped, didn't feel like playing round with airbags. Not ideal though, you'd think these guys would know what they're doing by now wouldn't you..? It's not like they've been delivering post for years or anything.................

Just had a pretty good scare.

I tend to drive along a road which is just a standard carriage way but has a bunch of tiny bridges which just take it over small streams. Some of these bridges are only just wide enough to fit two cars along and people do 60mph down it.

Was just enjoying the weather this morning and come up to one of these bridges doing 50ish to find a big articulated lorry coming the other way. Looked like he was stopping to let me through so I kept going but he just kept going too and ended up on my side of the road. To avoid smashing into this lorry I had to hit the small curb on the side of the road on the bridge which made one hell of a bang. Thought I'd fucked my wheel and suspension. Pulled over a little down the road and somehow have only gotten away with a bit of a chip in the wheel paint...

The tire must have taken most of the hit. I don't think it's done damage to anything else, no odd noises or anything and it handles the same...

Safe to say, I'm going to be finding a better road to go along. Had way too many close calls on that bridge and having to hit that curb was the final nail in the coffin for me.

On a slightly happier note, look what just arrived:

1pz98io.jpg

Will have to wait till the weekend to fit it which is going to drive me mad...

got lucky there..lorry drivers are a bit of a hazard right Kev??:sweatsmile:
wheel looks great..when are you fitting it??

got lucky there..lorry drivers are a bit of a hazard right Kev??:sweatsmile:
wheel looks great..when are you fitting it??

Weekend bud, have to disconnect the battery for 20-30 mins which means 20-30mins of the car being unlocked in a student car park if I do it here... No thanks!

Will head home where I have better tools anyway.

Reactions: Pav
Right, going to be doing a few things this weekend and will make a post about it after I do.

1. Swap over steering wheel
  2. Replace stock headunit with the new sony one I got
  3. Touchup wheels (Thanks to the lorry incident...)
Once I get 1 and 3 done there are only a few visual niggles left on the car until I'm happy with it. The main one is a large patch of damaged paint next to my rear number plate. Will have a proper look at it this weekend to figure out what state it's actually in.

Need a bit of advice about what to do here. Would like to do it myself to save money but it's a pretty hefty bit of damage so a trip to the body shop might be needed...

(Excuse the filthy car, getting it washed soon...)

yboSyNa.jpg w4PDCx6.jpg
KgaPZZU.jpg
CfAamKL.jpg