Bought a broken 197

Hi guys.
Bare with me on this...
A few weeks back I bought a 07 197 fairly cheap....2900.It turned out to be in surprisingly good condition.new discs and pads all round. Newly finished wheels.
New tyres.all clean and tidy interior.
Cup splitter etc.belts had been done although I think it was 2015.

Anyway the car broke down 20 minutes from the dealer on way home.... there was lights everywhere on the dash and the only way I can describe the noise was like a much harsher louder crisp packet noise.
The car died and would not start.

Garage refunded me the money instantly and I purchased a much lower milage and better spec 197 for quite abit more money as the previous scared me off the cheaper ones...
However The car has scince been offered to me for a very very low price even taking into consideration the engine may be good for the bin.the car has been to a garage whilst back with the dealer and they say it is seized but the dealer says he managed to manoeuvre the car around the forecourt...

I have bought it with the poasible intention of a cheap track car.
Even with a replacement used engine and my time it would be around the 1500 mark total so i could not pass it up.

Anyway my question is what would you guys recommended my course of actions be???
Is there anything simple I can be checking first before I start removing heads and sumps? Will diagnosis pick anything up that may shine some light on what's wrong??

Thanks in advance.

Hope I'm posting in correct section.

Haha had a feeling I'd have suggestions to replace it with the megane motor.

I'm looking for for I donation on what I could potentially look for or check before I start dropping sump and lifting head.

Is there anything on the 197 that can fail and could be a option to look into prior to this.

Is the crank pulley accecable easy from underneath.

Does it turn over?
Does it have compression?

If the answer to either of them is no. Then there's no real point taking the sump off - it needs to be stripped

Reactions: Lukepanigale
Looks like 1 or more rockers have snapped....
Hopefully this hasn't effected bottom end.
Hard to see by cam is scored and there is part of a rocker below the cam by the oil jet.

received_1851616988267612.jpeg

Now how do I get the cam cover off???
I am down to that now.
Does the cam belt and cover need to be removed????

If the rockers have snapped you have probably damaged the head.
The easiest and cheapest way forward is to replace the engine with a second hand engine.
It’s just not worth messing about with.

Ahh right ok... I thought maybe as it was only the top end it may be a cheap ishhhh fix. ( in the grand scheme of things )

This is not the case????

Do you know how the cam cover is removed so that I can actually the what damage has been done??

Ooshhhhh she is dead hahahaha.
Wonder what caused this at only 50mph.
The extent is probably due to the garage it went to trying to turn it over as the main battery fuse has blown since it was with them.

But it is strange how it's let a valve go under zero abuse.

20180916_151009.jpg 20180916_151144.jpg 20180916_151147.jpg

20180916_151009.jpg

had the timing jumped??? had one turn up at work were they timed it up slightly out took it for a run & it dropped a valve!

Possibly.
The water pump and pulley look new.
I actually bought the car around 4 weeks ago and this happened on the way home.... The garage refunded me instantly but as the car was in nice condition having new front caliper,new Pirelli tyres,newly coated wheels,new discs and pads and round and rear caliper halfs, rs splitter and generally clean and tidy I purchased it off then for less than 1/4 of the price.
I bought it with the assumption the engine was gone... And it is.

Now just need to figure what is best to to.
-Strip it of the good stuff.sell the rest as spares.
-buy used engine and fit myself.
- or a great offer at braniesport of a supplied and fitted emgine seems a good idea and keep it as a second car to use on track (I have another nimbus 197)

What are these like when splitting???
Great demand or will parts be laying around for months and months....

Knowing what I know now if you picked it up for a cheap price being a broken/none running I’d Pick up a cheap standard engine. Throw that in, strip it and spend the money on the mods and use it on track!

I'm dying to do that mate...
But my problem is... It's turn from 700 odd on a non running 197 and throwing a cheap engine in...to...a money pit lol.

This is how my last decent car ended up (when o was really into cars)

IMG_20180708_080141_386.jpg IMG_20180708_075757_192.jpg IMG_20180708_075950_970.jpg IMG_20180708_080519_731.jpg

I have looked at so many images of track 197s that I wouldn't be able to resist going to town with it. And this is financially bad haha.

As I mentioned on your other topic, Id buy the RS splitter but thats a small part of the car!

Look in the right place and an engine can be had for £300. If the gearbox is sound then you can strip it out and have a decent track car for under a grand. Simples. Enjoy!!!!!