Burning Oil at High Revs

Phenom

Paid Member
My 200 is burning a lot of oil when in high revs.
the oil and coolant itself look fine, are not mixing as far as I can tell and it is not running any hotter than normal.
At 4.5k revs it goes a tad sluggish and then all the power kicks back in and it spits out a lot of smoke out the back.
if driven normally it wont burn any noticeable amount of oil, but on a spirited drive for an afternoon it can easily go through a litre or so of oil.

is this just engine wear I need to get looked at or could it by down to something else?

A litre in an afternoon seems like a fair bit - mine doesn't burn much oil at all, even on a track day. It might be worth getting a compression test - to check all cylinders are roughly even. I will leave someone more qualified to say anymore.

Reactions: Phenom
Did you eventually find the root problem @Phenom ? I have the same issue with my Clio 197
Took it my garage had to looked at properly, after doing a leakdown and a compression test they advised me is was most likely piston rings. I just coughed up to get another engine put in and it's been flawless since. Might have been a bit overkill and maybe a just a rebuild would have been alright but with unknown history thought it best to just replace

I’m having issues with mine using oil , but have been told it’s more like the valve stem seals on my car ... my car is only messing up the number 4 plug with oil every other plug is clean and dry.

I’m having issues with mine using oil , but have been told it’s more like the valve stem seals on my car ... my car is only messing up the number 4 plug with oil every other plug is clean and dry.

mmm that sounds more pistons rings than valve stem oil seals to be honest...compression test needed but the valve guides and seals are quite tough on the f4r engines

mmm that sounds more pistons rings than valve stem oil seals to be honest...compression test needed but the valve guides and seals are quite tough on the f4r engines
Hi @Foxspeed im really not sure as to what it is on this car ... it does not smoke at all when cold and when going down a hill in gear without touching the accelerator, there is no smoke , however if I just touch the accelerator pedal it throws out a ton of smoke for about 5 seconds and then clears up

Hi @Foxspeed im really not sure as to what it is on this car ... it does not smoke at all when cold and when going down a hill in gear without touching the accelerator, there is no smoke , however if I just touch the accelerator pedal it throws out a ton of smoke for about 5 seconds and then clears up

need to do some testing on that - compression test dry/wet - leak test etc to see what the rings are like

when we did cylinder head repairs on the f4r which were quite a few we never found any real valve stem oil seal faults only issue was guide wear but again nothing major...

need to do some testing on that - compression test dry/wet - leak test etc to see what the rings are like

when we did cylinder head repairs on the f4r which were quite a few we never found any real valve stem oil seal faults only issue was guide wear but again nothing major...
Thanks so much @Foxspeed , this is exactly why I love forums like these ... you guys have the knowledge and make many peoples lives more easier ... will certainly get those both tests done ... just waiting for my cupra to come back then can I start working on the Clio

Good day gents, I’ve noticed yesterday was cool and on my way to work , my car didn’t smoke at all ... however today the smoke was back especially when I’m parked at a robot it’ll smoke and when I take off there is a haze of blue smoke in the air and once I’m through the gears it’ll clear up ... but today while accelerating up a hill I noticed the car pouring smoke out the exhaust and when I got back on a flat ... there’s no smoke ... I have no idea what’s going on with this car

Just putting this out there but it hasn't been over filled with oil has it?
Nope it is on point 5.1L but noticed when the car does burn oil (starts smoking) and the oil level drops a bit like 500ml less the smoke cuts down drastically

Nope it is on point 5.1L but noticed when the car does burn oil (starts smoking) and the oil level drops a bit like 500ml less the smoke cuts down drastically

How do you know its got 5.1 letters in?
Guess it's bang on the money with dipstick level?

How do you know its got 5.1 letters in?
Guess it's bang on the money with dipstick level?
It’s got the stupid plastic dipstick in the car ... it’s little less than full now and also the oil I put in was 5L and I measured 100ml for a 1l oil bottle and put that in

It’s got the stupid plastic dipstick in the car ... it’s little less than full now and also the oil I put in was 5L and I measured 100ml for a 1l oil bottle and put that in

I only ask as its easy to over fill.

I little more extreme in terms of usage but when I was a track day with some friends, one of them had over filled his car and under load coming out of corners the car was smoking but not on the straights or into corners.

We drained some, the smoke went away.
He done them same, the car says it takes this much so that has to go back in.
Not all oil comes out on a change.

Check plugs on all cylinders if not already done.

I only ask as its easy to over fill.

I little more extreme in terms of usage but when I was a track day with some friends, one of them had over filled his car and under load coming out of corners the car was smoking but not on the straights or into corners.

We drained some, the smoke went away.
He done them same, the car says it takes this much so that has to go back in.
Not all oil comes out on a change.

Check plugs on all cylinders if not already done.
Strange thing is it behaves like it’s over filled but i am only having an issue with the number 4 cylinder (closest to the cambelt) the plug is oiling up and the piston seems to be wet with oil on the top

So a little update ... I noticed my car is seeping oil through the head gasket where number 1 cylinder (next to the gearbox) and number 4 cylinder(next to the cambelt) on number 1 the seep is on the intake side and number 4 is on the exhaust side... it’s not dripping it’s a slight seep of oil as I can see on the block it’s wet in those areas , like a lot of oil sweat... head will be off this weekend and will investigate further.

Not sure if this will help, a while ago my clio 200 was consuming oil more than usual and noticed oil all over my engine bay, turned out to be cam sensor seal was shut and had to replace.
It was fine after that, worth checking it out too.

Reactions: Yuvir P and Phenom
Good morning guys ... turned out my cylinder 4 piston was stuffed , the middle compression ring was broken and fell out into pieces when I took off that piston... the piston also touch the side of the sleeve rendering it useless... so I put in new valve stem seals ,replaced 2 exhaust valves that looked crap and also gave the cylinder head a light skim along with new valve guides ... I fitted new piston rings gave the sleeves a good honing and replaced the big end bearings along with all the seals and gaskets... I don’t work on the car all day as there a a few tiny bits to put in hopefully by this weekend , she should be back on the road ... I’m very thankful for all the help , motivation and support that @Jack_R27 gave me throughout the build , my mate Tayden and my beautiful fiancé Selene for putting up with my grumpiness of getting my car sorted.