Can't locate knocking noise after £1000 being spent on her

I think my passenger side top mount is on it's way out on my mk3, recently fitted weitec gt's and starting to hear a little knock when going over little bumps. Is it worth changing both sides or just replace the knocking side??
You might want to fit some thick washers under the centre shock nut, as kw's used to do this and it turned out the thread on the centre of the shock ended nats cock short of the rubber so the nut wasnt tight up against the rubber. Maybe a cheaper option to try first

You might want to fit some thick washers under the centre shock nut, as kw's used to do this and it turned out the thread on the centre of the shock ended nats cock short of the rubber so the nut wasnt tight up against the rubber. Maybe a cheaper option to try first

Cheers mate I will give it a shot.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but it's something related and it's no point starting a new one!

I've been having a knocking noise from the top mounts since I fitted my coilovers, something I learned to live with but now I've had enough and I'm determined to rectify it. The knocking is definitely coming from the top mounts no question about that however I'm sure it's not the top mounts to blame.

Prior to fitting the coilovers I was running the solid top mounts (camber adjustable) with cup dampers/H&R springs setup and I had no knocking whatsoever, I then fitted the ASTs (much shorter damper) and the knocking appeared straight away. It doesn't affect the handling neither the car feels loose or anything, however when I'm driving into bumps and the suspension is on load/unload the knocking appears. As if there is a tiny vertical movement or something. Ryan do you reckon I should try these spacers you suggested mate? And where exactly do they go in the picture below? Everything is properly tightened up there...

Cheers

null_zpsb2d7e7c0.jpg

The nut in the centre of the rubber. The thread with the alan key in the centre. But not sure how you would do it with adjustable top mounts

Hi ryan,

so with standard top mounts unscrew the middle nut and put a larger washer in? Is that what you are suggesting?Cheers

Yep got it in one. But this is only on coilovers standard struts are fine.

Oh I have standard top mounts just lowering springs. Knock came before the springs so I will investigate the top mount see if it's shagged

Update on the car guys ended up being the top mount after all so all nice now all I've got to figure out is whats causing my flat spot which dies in second at around 3000rpm this only happened after the rear of my Akra was fitted properly garage thinks it might be a plug breaking down as it hesitated when they test drove it but the clip computer didn't find any faults.

You/smoggymark are heroes if it's my top mount. Was scared of having to replace so much but I think it could be it as dan @519 looked under the suspension and found nothing