Car doesn’t always start straight away

Hi guys,

Hoping some of you could offer some advice here as struggling to locate the problem! It’s never been picked up on any MOTs just noticed by myself and my mechanic brother who can’t locate the problem either!

So basically if I stall the car 9/10 I’ll do the usual clutch, neutral, brake and start stop button. This would start the car and get me going again. However recently the car will just tick over and continue until come off the brake. After a number of attempts it will finally start. Sometimes I will hear the engine going but ticking over almost like it doesn’t get full power. Also sometimes I have to press start and quickly go into first and lift the clutch to jolt the car forward. I’m pretty sure it’s not the battery as we jump charged that and started the car with no difference.

On the rare occasion I could get into my car for the first time and it will have the same issue described off, but it’s very rare. It’s only when I manage to stall the car.

Any ideas to what this may be or where to start? Any help will be appreciated

It’s a clio 197 (R27)

Thanks guys!

first place to start is the battery, many have had similar issues and the battery was dead/dying - it'll jump start fine but the biggest battery draw is when starting. Next up is the starter motor itself, but check the battery first.