Clio 197 handbrake not working

Hello everyone

I'm hoping for some help before I get my mechanic to look at my car. My handbrake has always been very loose but now doesn't work at all. I pull it all the way up and the car will still roll. Anything I can do myself to fix it?

Many thanks to potential replies

Yes, make sure the arms on the callipers are all the way back against there stop, chances are your handbrake cable on one side or the other has stuck, manually pull it back and then pump the pedal say ten times with the engine running and then see what the handbrake is like, very common If your lucky it’s just a bubbled cable inner, in which case cut the plastic sheath off and grease liberally, if your unlucky it’s a sticky caliper, in which case it’s a case of lubricate it with penetrating oil and see if you can free it off, if not it’s a new caliper

Reactions: Lauzmmj
Yes, make sure the arms on the callipers are all the way back against there stop, chances are your handbrake cable on one side or the other has stuck, manually pull it back and then pump the pedal say ten times with the engine running and then see what the handbrake is like, very common If your lucky it’s just a bubbled cable inner, in which case cut the plastic sheath off and grease liberally, if your unlucky it’s a sticky caliper, in which case it’s a case of lubricate it with penetrating oil and see if you can free it off, if not it’s a new caliper
Thanks a lot, will try this out at the weekend :smiley:

I had problems with hand brake in my 197.
I bought brand new red TRW calibers from mister-auto (France). Price was approx 130£ / pair.
It is also necessary to replace handbrake cables, price was something like 30£ for set.
After that, zero problems.

small.jpg

Reactions: Lauzmmj
I had problems with hand brake in my 197.
I bought brand new red TRW calibers from mister-auto (France). Price was approx 130£ / pair.
It is also necessary to replace handbrake cables, price was something like 30£ for set.
After that, zero problems.

View attachment 130512
The red ones look really good.

I ended up buying some 2nd hand for about £50. I'm going to rebuild the old ones with a repair kit.