Conversion time

I wish it would be legal do megane swap here in my country b) some company would do it for money.
I would be interested, but Finland rules are so fun. You can tune your car max 20% more power. Even chipping turbo car is illegal. #iwantmovesomewherewarm

Wow? Thats a bit crap.

Not being funny, but how would they ever prove it lol? They going to pull you over and take you to the nearest dyno?

Reactions: Pav and Benno
Wow? Thats a bit crap.

Not being funny, but how would they ever prove it lol? They going to pull you over and take you to the nearest dyno?

+1 :tearsofjoy:

"Excuse me sir, could you follow me to the nearest rolling road?"

Reactions: Chris
I wish it would be legal do megane swap here in my country b) some company would do it for money.
I would be interested, but Finland rules are so fun. You can tune your car max 20% more power. Even chipping turbo car is illegal. #iwantmovesomewherewarm
you just need to buy a very powerful car to begin with then :thumb:

Now I really need to do my first post here and ask; Antti, what makes you think such an engine swap is not doable here in Finland? It's not as black and white thing as you are saying.

It's not even that difficult as MRS II 225/230 engines do not exceed that 20% limit, not even close. Furthermore, torque is not limited at all anymore so that is not any limiting factor either. It was some years ago, but not anymore. Of course after that swap you need to get your car officially inspected at any inspection station that in generally do these modification inspections. At the same time the registration details will be corrected to get the engine swap fully legal. I'm pretty sure you knew this all already so what's the big problem?

Btw. as you are aware we already have one registered and street legal 197 with an R26 engine inside. You can always refer to that case - if one has been accepted before there is no any justified reason why another similar case wouldn't be accepted as well. Also my intention has been, since day one when I bought my Clio 200, to take my Lag II GT engine (MRS II 225 variant), put some new internals and mount it under my Clio's bonnet. That will hopefully happen during the coming year if I just find some time and money for that. However, I'm not expecting any major difficulties from the legal side, i.e. to get it accepted and keep it street legal.

Sorry Pav for offtopic

I know there is already one megane powered clio in Finland, and it is legal. I dont know how they did that, basic rule is if you change na -> turbo = really expensive emission tests, you have to pay pass or fail. (If this is wrong info, correct me with facts).
Once i asked this from inspection station and they told they dont have any info how it would be possible to do even there is one car already converted.

And the problem in my opinion we dont have any company which can complete that megane conversion for "keys in your hand" ready. I can do some mechanical job, but megane conversion is just too difficult for me .
Definetly interested if there is some company which can do it for amount of money.
I know clio rs would be really fun car to drive with turboengine torque.

It would be possible to get conversion done in UK? I think complete price will be quite silly including travel. Maybe LHD turbo megane conversion maybe also out of interest for companies.

Last edited:
Sorry Pav for offtopic
I know there is already one megane powered clio in Finland, and it is legal. I dont know how they did that, basic rule is if you change na -> turbo = really expensive emission tests, you have to pay pass or fail. (If this is wrong info, correct me with facts).
Definetly interested if there is some company which can do it for amount of money.

Yes, sorry guys about this Finn-stuff, still some more comments to Antti. But not fully off-topic, somehow in relation to megane conversion :smiley:.

Partly true yes what you wrote about the emission tests, but it's a different story if the whole engine (pretty similar F4R Euro 4 engines originally build and tested by Renault in this case) and all the emission related parts are changed or otherwise comparable. Those are made by the same manufacturer and are so close to each other that there should be no problem at all. This compared to engine which is possibly taken from totally different car and not originally meant to be used in such car type or model (e.g your BMW engine to Clio), or another example if you build the engine yourself taking parts from here and there and nobody really knows which things it consists of or what is the emissions rating for that. (See Trafi's order on structural changes, in Finnish: TRAFI/66404/03.04.03.00/2015).

I do not have any personal contacts or experiences, but I think at least http://www.autodiagnoosi.fi/ could be worth a try and one possible place who should have enough competence for this kind of modifications here in Finland. They've build some Renault racing engines, are somehow familiar e.g. with S3000 ECUs, do repair and program Renault electronics, they have a 2WD/4WD dyno etc. Also at least RS Tuning, EFI-Parts or K-TEC services can be used for ECU immobiliser issues and such if not doable there in Finland.

I've bought a Direnza Intercooler for the Megane 225 to do my conversion, and I've seen several people say that the intercooler needs modifying to fit onto the clio? True or not?
Also I want to move my expansion tank and change it for the 182 bottle, what size silicone hoses do I need to do this does anyone know?

I know it has been used, and hasn't been mentioned to me that it needs modifying. I have one but Haven't got round to that as yet.
But I do know he's running good power and torque with it.

Some people are using a dacia bottle, looks similar to the 182.

I've bought a Direnza Intercooler for the Megane 225 to do my conversion, and I've seen several people say that the intercooler needs modifying to fit onto the clio? True or not?
Also I want to move my expansion tank and change it for the 182 bottle, what size silicone hoses do I need to do this does anyone know?

The direnza intercooler is rubbish for track use, it won't handle more than 2 or 3 periods of full throttle running before inlet temps rise towards 30 degrees and it won't be able to cope. Get a decent forge or mishimoto item.

im running a Direnza radiator and its superb..great quality and performance..unfortunately,i have heard bad things about Direnza intercoolers though..dont know anyone who is running one so cant comment..hope its fine for you..

What’s the situation with the exhaust? Do you get a 2.75 downpipe or 3inch? And what about the link pipe? Seeing people say they need a reduced to fit their exhaust? What problems would I have fitting it to my 2.5 inch cat back?

Depends on what stage of tune you want to end up with. I believe using the std 2.5" system will restrict you to around 280bhp.
I'm using the 3" decat then it'll be 3" to the rear boxes.
It'll be easier to reduce from the 2.75" to the 2.5". I believe you can use the megane link pipe to align with the original system. I guess you'd need a reducer.

Well I’m hoping for around the 270-280 mark. Where do you get the link pipe from? All I can seem to find is the 3inch decat? What other mods would you expect to need for 280bhp? 630 injectors? Large intercooler? The engine I am fitting has a hybrid turbo fitted.

There's plenty of 2.75" decat's on ebay. You can get the parts seperate from scorpion. The 3" link pipe is around £80.
Not sure if you can buy the Milltek separately.
It's the megane one they use. I'm hoping for 300/300 with full 3" sysem. 265 turbo, 630 injectors, I have a bigger intercooler and the 2" hard pipe kit. A friend has the same spec running 300/300 using the pms exhaust.

Is it not advisable to go for a milltek decat? The link pipe I can only seem to find as part of a whole exhaust system rather than the individual part. What make is your link pipe?
That’s interesting, so if I ran 630 injectors hardpipe kit and bigger intercooler with a hybrid turbo I should definitely see around 280 if I stick with the 2.5 cat back system I currently have?

My friend was running around that before fitting his 250 turbo and the mps exhaust system.

I don't have a link pipe yet, debating on the scorpion 3" or make my own. I'll be making the rest of the system.
Here's the link for the megane rs240 system. You can buy each part separately but It's 3". Might be worth getting 3" incase you want to upgrade in the future?

www.rs240.co.uk/components

Ok that’s good to know. Thanks for all your input! It looks like I have some decisions to make. Future upgrades sound like a good option. Are you running yours in a 197 or 200? I have a 200, would a 3inch not affect the exhaust trims on the bumper?

You can get the miltek link pipe separately, I was running it with a reducer to a Clio system before upgrading to the PMS full
3” system. 3” system doesn’t affect the bumpers either

Mine's a 197.

The scorpion system runs 3" into the rear boxes then 2.5" out.
This is what I'm not sure about.
I've been considering running 3" into the t section of my k tech system, which is 2.5" out. So in theory it's 3" in then 2 x 2.5" out which is basically 5" so should be ok. Or I run 3" all the way and modify the diffuser?

Mine as mark says is running 300/300
Mapped rich at the top end by RS Tuning. Would run 320 without issue but was wound back for safety for heavy track use.

Full 3” exhaust, 630 injectors, rs250 turbo, 2” hardpipe kit and eBay special intercooler

Similar Thread Suggestions