Crunching TL4.........*NOW WITH POSSIBLE BETTER SYNCHRO RINGS!!

Consider this a heads up folks! If your box is crunching into 3rd, or 4th, or even both, DON’T LEAVE IT TOO LONG BEFORE YOU GET IT SORTED! The following pictures, I hope will convince you that it’s not worth running the risk.

Here you can see the debris that’s accumulated on to the magnet. I recognise these bits, but they’re not where they should be........... See the brass bits on the right of the picture? They’re the snapped selector fork for 3rd & 4th gear...........
A5F7F5EF-DD17-4D00-A023-3833268948AA.jpeg
9733015B-280E-41F2-85D9-2E7BD363DDEA.jpeg In the image up above you can see a rectangular gap? That’s where some of that debris has come from. I’ll show you shortly what should’ve been in there, but the reason they’ve come out is because the internals of the synchro ring on 3rd and 4th gear has been destroyed. This means the synchro ring sits closer to the gear, increases the gap and the rest, as they say is history.
The original owner of this box continued to hammer it home through the gears and has successfully damaged the dog teeth on 3rd & 4th gear, and the selector hub - I’ve never seen this on a TL4, and I’ve rebuilt a good number now.

And here’s what should be in the rectangular space and how it should look!!A5ACD0C8-1F6C-4CC0-AD6F-07C6C880110C.jpeg

Keep vigilant and sensible folks!!

You obviously have a lot of experience of rebuilding these gearboxes so if your gearbox is fine what would be your advice of helping it stay that way. How often would you suggest changing oil and what oil to you recommend? Driving tips?

You obviously have a lot of experience of rebuilding these gearboxes so if your gearbox is fine what would be your advice of helping it stay that way. How often would you suggest changing oil and what oil to you recommend? Driving tips?
All you can do to protect the box is use good quality gl4 rated oil, change it often if you’re hammering it, nice and smooth gearchanges combined with rev matching on downshifts and that’s about as much as you can do really.
Oil wise I recommend (and run in my own box) redline mtl. Track work redline mt90.

@Northloopcup if one was to undertake the rebuild themselves, what kind of prices would parts be? Are there any particular places better than others to source parts?

@Northloopcup if one was to undertake the rebuild themselves, what kind of prices would parts be? Are there any particular places better than others to source parts?
That’s over £500 in parts to fix in the pics up above. I get everything from Renault Wolverhampton mate. I have an account so get discounts on all the items.

All you can do to protect the box is use good quality gl4 rated oil, change it often if you’re hammering it, nice and smooth gearchanges combined with rev matching on downshifts and that’s about as much as you can do really.
Oil wise I recommend (and run in my own box) redline mtl. Track work redline mt90.
Much appreciated mate.

Reactions: Northloopcup
Right, if someone has a crunchy tl4 and is willing to be part of a little experiment, I may have found a better synchro ring for 3rd and 4th gear!!!

Because I’m a saddo, I look at other items found in other gearboxes. I stumbled across a synchro ring that is 99% identical to the tl4 3rd/4th gear synchro. I need to carry out a few measurements and tests on a dead shaft I’ve got at home first, but initial glances are favourable.

Here’s the deal, you pay me for my labour and I’ll supply the synchro rings. If it’s no better than the Renault steel/fibre synchro ring setup, I’ll supply the new synchro rings and strip/rebuild your box FOC.

IF it does work I can buy these rings in bulk to secure a better price too, but if there was enough interest to warrant it, I could get the Renault 3rd/4th synchros in the same way.

Anyone feeling brave?

I’d have been up for that but now the clio has gone and the BMW box is silky smooth even after 140k, best of luck with it, hope it works out!
I’ll be starting rebuilding the bmw boxes soon too mate! Lol! They suffer with some synchro issues on 2nd gear and reverse. The lads at work have loads in stock with these issues, and have asked me to rebuild them.

I’ll be starting rebuilding the bmw boxes soon too mate! Lol! They suffer with some synchro issues on 2nd gear and reverse. The lads at work have loads in stock with these issues, and have asked me to rebuild them.

I’ll keep that in mind. Going to remove it at some point and do the detent springs/bushes as 5th’s a little tight every now and then but it’s not a Piority job as it’s a fair bit of work to remove it just to do that, the clutch and flywheel has already been done. Will probably need input shaft bearing at some point too as you can hear it.

Right, if someone has a crunchy tl4 and is willing to be part of a little experiment, I may have found a better synchro ring for 3rd and 4th gear!!!

Because I’m a saddo, I look at other items found in other gearboxes. I stumbled across a synchro ring that is 99% identical to the tl4 3rd/4th gear synchro. I need to carry out a few measurements and tests on a dead shaft I’ve got at home first, but initial glances are favourable.

Here’s the deal, you pay me for my labour and I’ll supply the synchro rings. If it’s no better than the Renault steel/fibre synchro ring setup, I’ll supply the new synchro rings and strip/rebuild your box FOC.

IF it does work I can buy these rings in bulk to secure a better price too, but if there was enough interest to warrant it, I could get the Renault 3rd/4th synchros in the same way.

Anyone feeling brave?

Me and my pal might be with my spare box I have at home..

Anyone feeling brave?

Anyone heard from Northloopcup I’ve arranged for my box to be removed next weekend to take to him the following week.

Haven’t heard from him and he hasn’t been online since 22nd September!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropped off my box last night, Marks a top guy even though he’s super busy, he has already split my box and discovered I have a Quaife diff!

He showed me how easily these synchros can wear with a Stanley knife too!

Hopefully these modified synchros are the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk