Dougs Albi blue 197

My window did that once!! Was fine in the morning. Went to the shop. Came out to go home and it was being weird [emoji23][emoji23] Sorted itself out the next day though

Random as! Id have thought it might be caused by an electrical fault or bad earth, Ive seen it on other cars (BMW) after door seals failed and the comfort module got water damaged. Mine just didnt like that particular window switch! I guess the same applies the other way too, if you go Cup to Full fat doorcards the switches need swapping.

Reactions: lewishunter98
Where you based Doogle? Spotted Dartmoor, I’m in Exeter if you ever fancy a moorland blast.

Im based in Plymouth but theres noone down here! Ive seen an old boy driving a stock 197, there's a black one I see parked up and my mate Alex has an RB 197. Where do go driving?

Small update, I bought the Redline MTL gearbox oil. I was determined to get 70w80 stuff before Redline changed to 75w80. I bought 2 bottles from Halls Performance online but when it turned up it was 75w80 anyway. I paid a little more posted than Opie Oils are selling it for annoyingly.

Changing the oil was actually very easy and I now have a drain plug for changing my own engine oil too (never done it) but Ill give it a go at some point. The gearbox is definitely better, I felt it straight away even when the engine was still warm. When cold its dramatically better. I have a noisy release bearing so clutch pack needs changing. At almost 120k miles its done well!

I also found out I have a sticking rear caliper, my MPG has been dropping the last few months and this will be the reason. I was going to buy a 2nd hand RS splitter from Luke Panigale but itll have to wait. If anyone wants one, Lukes is pretty mint!

Changing the oil was actually very easy and I now have a drain plug for changing my own engine oil too (never done it) but Ill give it a go at some point. The gearbox is definitely better, I felt it straight away even when the engine was still warm. When cold its dramatically better. I have a noisy release bearing so clutch pack needs changing. At almost 120k miles its done well!

Think i'm gonna change mine. Only thing putting me off is the crunchy box which means it'll need to be changed soon anyway. But its a pain in the morning getting into gear haha! Probably gonna go for redline too

Think i'm gonna change mine. Only thing putting me off is the crunchy box which means it'll need to be changed soon anyway. But its a pain in the morning getting into gear haha! Probably gonna go for redline too

Well worth doing. Id put it on one of the top service items as a must do for any mileage car really. Mine was black but had no swarf in so I was happy. I didnt measure how much I got out but id estmate I got 1.8 litres back in. I still had a few millimetres of oil at the bottom of the 2nd bottle, and that was jack the car up on side to get more in. For you, getting most the swarf out is a good idea and will make it smoother, if only for a few months til you get the box done. Only took about an hour too.

Well worth doing. Id put it on one of the top service items as a must do for any mileage car really. Mine was black but had no swarf in so I was happy. I didnt measure how much I got out but id estmate I got 1.8 litres back in. I still had a few millimetres of oil at the bottom of the 2nd bottle, and that was jack the car up on side to get more in. For you, getting most the swarf out is a good idea and will make it smoother, if only for a few months til you get the box done. Only took about an hour too.
Yeah I'll probably do it in the next few weeks. Have so many parts to go on/change. Brake fluid, lines etc. New shocks soon. Pretty much everything. Can't wait

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doogle
Yeah I'll probably do it in the next few weeks. Have so many parts to go on/change. Brake fluid, lines etc. New shocks soon. Pretty much everything. Can't wait

Sounds like you'll have a new car! These are transformed when the basics are new. Suspension, engine servicing, brakes, etc. Not cheap to do though, especially suspension.

Sounds like you'll have a new car! These are transformed when the basics are new. Suspension, engine servicing, brakes, etc. Not cheap to do though, especially suspension.
Yep I'm really looking forward to it

You're not wrong. all new links, top mounts, new steering rack bush. Everything. Has cost me a lot but I literally can't wait till it's all done and has the geo setup. Should drive amazing.

Once that's all sorted it'll be discs and pads [emoji23][emoji849]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Small update, I bought the Redline MTL gearbox oil. I was determined to get 70w80 stuff before Redline changed to 75w80. I bought 2 bottles from Halls Performance online but when it turned up it was 75w80 anyway. I paid a little more posted than Opie Oils are selling it for annoyingly.

I changed the gearbox oil with the standard Elf NFJ last week and haven’t noticed any difference myself, still stiff to go in some gears and whiny bearing type noise like someone left the hot tap running. I’ll give the Redline MTL a go next time round. I’m not sure it needed changing really, only on 55k and a tiny amount of the oil was black with the rest looking like new.

I was visiting Dartmoor recently, some nice roads you have round your end! I'll let you know next time I'm there so you can try the Rentune seatbase. :wink:

I changed the gearbox oil with the standard Elf NFJ last week and haven’t noticed any difference myself, still stiff to go in some gears and whiny bearing type noise like someone left the hot tap running. I’ll give the Redline MTL a go next time round. I’m not sure it needed changing really, only on 55k and a tiny amount of the oil was black with the rest looking like new.

I was visiting Dartmoor recently, some nice roads you have round your end! I'll let you know next time I'm there so you can try the Rentune seatbase. :wink:

Sounded like yours didn't need changing! I know my release bearing is goosed, it whines like a banshee in a box but worse when cold. Just putting off the £750 odd bill for a clutch pack change.

That would be good, its still on the possible list but with a wedding to pay for its not at the top of the list. Would be interested to see though!

Reactions: Rishi
A small update! Progress is slow but steady.

I had to get the car into the garage before Christmas, the brakes were doing odd things such as binding as certain points. The garage found out the pads bad seperated from the backing causing the material to just catch at points! New pads and pins later (boggo Renault jobbies, if Id realised Id have gone for some PBS pads) and its all good.

I met a few local Renault Sport owners and have been on a few meets. All much lower mileage than mine!
20181113_223539.jpg

IMG-20181205-WA0008.jpg
Then bought a Map sensor bracket, this is the mk2 version. Still needs a ziptie though!
20181115_211615.jpg
Always love a good moorland drive!
20181210_155648.jpg
20181114_165731.jpg
20181212_143616.jpg
And I'm glad the missus' dad has a good taste in cars!
20181226_211336.jpg
I changed the ARB links and Anti rotation links for Meyle HD and TRW respectively. Much improved and no rattling over bumps now.
20190114_063818.jpg
20190114_063834.jpg
Renault UK decided to use my photo on Facebook which was awesome.
20190115_222155.jpg
Yesterday I got a mate to fit the Miltek exhaust Ive had stashed for the last year! Very pleased so far, slightly deeper and rumbly, no drone and not noisy. Very pleased so far, not sure on the Scorpion tips (they arnt fitted that well atm) but can fit any I like at a later stage.
20190119_153731.jpg
20190120_161526.jpg
20190120_161613.jpg
Lastly, I found a chap (Josh Wheeler) who has produced some lowering frames for the Recaro's which look substantial and good quality without being stupidly expensive. £110 posted, just bought one, Ill put a writeup of it when Ive fitted it, but for now this is the advert if someone wants to find it.
20190120_162411.jpg

Attachments

• 20181226_211336.jpg
    20181226_211336.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
Nice progress. Some fabulous scenery in the photos. Imagine the roads are decent for a hoon!?

Nice progress. Some fabulous scenery in the photos. Imagine the roads are decent for a hoon!?

They are, theres a decent loop you can do. I'm literally 2 minutes drive from the moors so good for a spirited drive without really thinking about it or ages of driving. Just have to be careful of animals!

Reactions: Big Ben
Ive recieved the seat subframes, very impressed with them. Quality bolts and well designed, no issues with alignment or spacing.

Fitting was relatively easy: Remove the seat rails/runners, 13mm bolts one side and 16mm the other. T20 torx bolt on the 3 screws holding the plastic fascia on the side, unclip the cover on the height adjustment lever and remove the lever. Remove a 6mm allen key bolt that holds a plate to the back of the height adjustment mechanism. Drill the 3 rivets out for the height adjustment mechanism and remove. Remove the seatbelt mechanism and refit, unbolt the height adjustment arms from the upper seat base and replace like with like.

The new subframe system saves almost 4kg of weight over the original. For me, at almost 6 foot, the least drop (-30mm) feels best but taller ones may be best with the -50mm drop.

Took me around 2 hours to do including cleaning the frame and rails.

20190125_191756.jpg
20190125_191648.jpg
20190126_123429.jpg
Driving position is great and massively improved. For £110 posted its exactly what I was after!

Reactions: Sean197
its like looking at my car,just before it was sold..so lovely..good maintaince is the key to a healthy motor..

A quick update! I was hoping to have the car on the track this year for a friends stag do but its probably not going to happen due to my wedding plans. I want to mildly port the inlet manifold and get the car mapped. Id also like another set of alloys and some track tyres so I dont ruin my dailys before a track day too.

I haven't been splashing out on the car but the usual small bits.

The exhaust system shifted so my mate adjusted the tips so it looked a bit more equal.20190302_163521.jpg

I bought a 2nd hand inlet manifold from a friend so decided to clean it. The easiest way was degreaser in a bucket in the bath. Bob and Brenda, the ducks, were supervising :tearsofjoy:
20190416_203431.jpg
Nice and clean. The overcasting is easy to see.
20190416_193732.jpg

Next up was sorting the fascia for the seat which needed a chop off the bottom. I found a cap to blank off the space the height adjustment lever used to occupy.
20190424_212908.jpg

I found someone selling a set of new PBS front pads and front Brembo HC discs which I picked up for £180 posted, a bit cheaper than they normally are so they will go on soon.
20190429_144425.jpg

Lastly, I found a chap breaking an Albi blue 197 nearby and got a tidy bonnet for £25 so I set about fitting it. I need to adjust the latch location but its fitted and ultimately better than the original.
20190429_144350.jpg