Drove a Civic Type-R FN2 today

I went off with one of my friends today, guy I got the 197 through, and he rocked up in an 07 plate CTR GT, circa 80k miles. While my wife has a CR-V (based on Civic, and has a K20), and I have driven other Civics, I had never driven a CTR, having written it off compared to the turbo'd stuff like Golf GTi, Focus ST and R26.

Anyhow, I asked if I could have a go, drove over a range of roads for around 50 miles or so, and came away really impressed. It is a much more mature car than the Clio, more so than I had expected, and really wore its miles well - having said that the only wear issues I have with my 197 are the seat bolsters (the bolster foam seems to be made of chocolate), the steering wheel (now retrimmed), and the odd squeak and rattle here and there. The interior of the Civic though looked in great shape, sure a few marks on the back of the drivers seat, but nothing untoward, steering wheel looked like new, bolsters were almost perfect, much more refined on the motorway, and a lovely tight gearbox. Other pluses are more space, better fuel economy, and depending on your viewpoint, that dash. Major negatives however are the comedy rear window and the fact that the B pillar, and therefore the seatbelt are pretty tricky to reach around the shoulder bolsters on the drivers seat. All in all though, I was very impressed. If it wasn't for the fact that it would probably cost me 2500-3000, I would even consider swapping. I did miss the keyless go, amazing how much you get used to that.

I remain very fond of my Clio, I think I probably just need to drive it more. Really looking forward to giving it some more track action next month. I was just surprised at quite how good the FN2 was.

Just wondered if anyone else had driven one, and what they thought?

i had an ep3 and a fn2 the ep3 was a far better type r. better handling faster the only downside the fn2 is a far nicer place to be

While my wife has a CR-V (based on Civic, and has a K20),

Nearly sounds like your comparing the CRV to a civic type R lol :tongueout:

I've driven them both. EP3 is more of a drivers car. The FN being a lot more refined. Personally i'd go for the ep3, but the mugen FN-2's are supposed to be a good handfull + the mugen bumpers + spoiler look great.

I just got my ep3 in december and i absolutely love it after having x2 182's and th R27 imo is a better car in every way. Never tested the fn2 as folk have said was not as good as the ep3.

Nearly sounds like your comparing the CRV to a civic type R lol :tongueout:

While the CR-V is a tidy enough handler for what it is, I just wish it went like a CTR!

Mugens are great, but they were around £38k new! There is one that parks in a car park that I regularly use, and it does look very good. If I was going to get something like that though, I would probably go for a grey import JDM 4dr; one of the parents at my daughters school has one and I reckon it must be quite a weapon.

The CTR is no handler though, my mate was struggling to keep up with me in the twistes. It was neck and neck straight line too. For the money, the Clio is great. The Civic has become a bit of a lost identity IMO. It has a high revving engine, but a more mature and relaxed ride, which are at odds with each other. It really needs a 2.0 turbo for lazy motorway stints. Or a lighter weight with not as much of a relaxed drive. Also, the seats are far too narrow for anyone that is like myself and more plump! Lol!

And I personnal hate the dash and overall design of the car anyway! I might sound biased, but the CTR would have been a genuine contender as my car instead of the Clio had the interior and exterior been to my tastes.

Mugens are great, but they were around £38k new! There is one that parks in a car park that I regularly use, and it does look very good.
The real Mugen 20? Last time I was at the Mugen HQ Colin, in charge of Mugen UK, said they had yet to sell all 20. Most likely one of the Mugen 200s parked up. Basically a Championship White FN2 that's had Mugen styling parts stuck on it.

To be honest I thought this one handled very nicely, and I have always liked the dash, though some of the switches would take a bit of getting used to, and while I like it to look at, I don't know if I would want to actually live with it. Plus the 19" (on the GT?) tyres would be primo expensive.

FD2 has independent rear suspension doesn't it, which the FN2 lacks, right?

The real Mugen 20? Last time I was at the Mugen HQ Colin, in charge of Mugen UK, said they had yet to sell all 20. Most likely one of the Mugen 200s parked up. Basically a Championship White FN2 that's had Mugen styling parts stuck on it.

Possibly, I hadn't realised there was a "Mugen Lite" flavour.

The CTR is no handler though, my mate was struggling to keep up with me in the twistes. It was neck and neck straight line too. For the money, the Clio is great. The Civic has become a bit of a lost identity IMO. It has a high revving engine, but a more mature and relaxed ride, which are at odds with each other. It really needs a 2.0 turbo for lazy motorway stints. Or a lighter weight with not as much of a relaxed drive. Also, the seats are far too narrow for anyone that is like myself and more plump! Lol!

And I personnal hate the dash and overall design of the car anyway! I might sound biased, but the CTR would have been a genuine contender as my car instead of the Clio had the interior and exterior been to my tastes.

I would say that was down to the driver the ep3 is very very capable in the twisties just as much as the R27 i used to have. For me it was down to what after market stuff was out there plus its not too exspensive to put a supercharger in them! i think the jap 'scene' is great!

I looked at a few CTRs but never test drove one, those who've met me will confirm I'm not a small fella and well.... I think Hondas aren't really built with my build in mind.

The clio however is very spacious despite being over 6ft and feels more open, the dash as mentioned on the CTR feels a bit overbearing.

Also insurance group and initial purchase price are way more. If it had been a similar insurance group I would of probly bought one and tried to slim down :tongueout:

Possibly. Not the car for me, glad I bought the Clio now my mate has his CTR. Each to their own obviously. He loves his CTR. It dod break down the other day again, battery ran out of juice!

Im not thin by any means!! lol dont think they were as bad as the recaro's! think my insurance went up £30 which was lucky!

Similar Thread Suggestions