Engine won't Start - steering locked but saying unlocked

Hi there,

First post here have been browsing for a while. Motoring so far with this car has been pretty trouble free...But I suspected that I was just being lucky aha! Anyways I love my 197 and miss not been able to use it.

So basically went to start my car yesterday and nothing.some sort of Relay clicks. But not the one for the steering lock. A message Turn Steering wheel and press start appears, followed by steering wheel unlocked. - my problem is that the steering wheel is in fact locked and I can't unlock it.

So it doesn't crank obviously because it's not got that far in the sequence at my best guess to start that. I think as soon as it realises the steering wheel is locked something's going wrong. I've tried wiggling and x5 press start stop button but I just can't get it to budge. Totally locked in.

Anyone able to help out??! Luckily I've got a few days off but back to work next week and I really need the car so a bit stumped.

Also does anyone know the exact start up sequence checks that the car goes through upon pressing the start button?!

Any help will be very grateful!! I don't know if it's steering lock related, fuse or something else. I don't have the diagrams for the fuses either so a bit stuck there.

Cheers,
Tom

Hey guys,

Yeah battery is fine stuck on the CTEk all day and said it was fine. Tried jumping it as well but still nothing.

It's really frustrating because if it is the steering lock, how am I supposed to change it when it's stuck in the lock position. Don't want to have to take it to Renault if don't have to, cause I guess it would cost an arm and a leg aha.

Working through relays yesterday though and come across the relay for the electric steering lock which guessing is the ignition main circuit relays. It was acting up a bit yesterday it seemed but then worked out. Not entirely sure. I want to test it out side of the car. But as they are not labelled, I don't know the pin out of a 5 pin relay on this car. Does anyone else know?

Cheers,
Tom

If it doesn’t start it will be something connected with the battery, not a relay for the steering!

You need a multi meter and be confident in its use to diagnose it not go sticking power down bits and bobs, chances of damaging stuff is high if you have a dubious earth somewhere which is very likely if creek says battery is charged, but beware a creek will just measure voltage and not the actual health of a battery

I’d suggest a decent local auto electrician would sort this inside an hr and charge you under 50 quid, whereas you wanting to short relays and test them may cost you a lot more

Whereabouts are you in the country roughly? If near Derbyshire/Notts I can come wave a multimeter over it for you :smile:

I know you’ve tested the battery but I’d buy a new one from ecp try it and if it don’t cure problem take it back!

A lot of electrical issues on these cars are battery related.

Good luck

have you tried giving the starter a good hit to see if the starter solenoids sticking as that can cause this issue as well

If it doesn’t start it will be something connected with the battery, not a relay for the steering!

You need a multi meter and be confident in its use to diagnose it not go sticking power down bits and bobs, chances of damaging stuff is high if you have a dubious earth somewhere which is very likely if creek says battery is charged, but beware a creek will just measure voltage and not the actual health of a battery

I’d suggest a decent local auto electrician would sort this inside an hr and charge you under 50 quid, whereas you wanting to short relays and test them may cost you a lot more

Whereabouts are you in the country roughly? If near Derbyshire/Notts I can come wave a multimeter over it for you :smile:

Cambridge and you know what probably sounds like a better idea tbh as I'm not very clued up nor do I want to further damage the car. Does anyone know of anywhere close ish to me? Within recovery truck distance aha.

Thanks for the offer tho mate, would have helped I believe!

I know you’ve tested the battery but I’d buy a new one from ecp try it and if it don’t cure problem take it back!

A lot of electrical issues on these cars are battery related.

Good luck

Yeah i think I'm gonna get one anyways even if it makes no change be good to have a new battery I suppose!

Reactions: Big Ben
Hi guys,

So just an update.

Spent weeks and weeks pulling my hair out trying different things, and anyways was about to bite the bullet but then thought no I'm going to try one last thing.

So I went onto EBay and bought a second hand UPC (the engine fuse box) - I'd tested around the box when it was in the car for continuity, resistance etc and to be fair I was getting some weird readings. So I thought there must be a short something...

Well last night I swapped the fuse box round for the one of bought, plugged it all in connected the battery...And BOOM!! Just fired straight into life . My goodness what a relief!!

Something must of obviously not been right in the old UPC - I've read a few threads online saying sometimes water gets in and messes them up so who knows that may of been the issue here. And I'm just really glad I've got my car back - although I'd forgotten as it's been so long how noisy the Scorpion Non-Res Decat was haha .

Anyways just wanted to follow up just in case anyone else comes across a similar experience. It cost me £140 so not too bad considering.

Thanks for your suggestions further up aswell, it did sound battery related. Cause the steering lock wasn't making any noise at all. Must of all tied in somehow!

Cheers,
Tom