Evolution of Eau Rouge

"... to Raidillon (the final left-hander at the crest of the hill)."

i feel i need to step in here and tell you guys the difference between 'eau rouge' corner and the 'raidillon'.

'eau rouge' (red water) is the left-hand corner at the bottom of the hill. it's named after a little stream, running just in front of the corner and underneath the track. in the very very early days, the track kept going left at 'eau rouge' towards the 'l'ancienne douane' (old customs bend) right-hand hairpin.

in 1939, the raidillon was created. a 17% steep incline, starting right after 'eau rouge', going right first and then a left kink at the top. so, from the moment you turn your steering wheel straight (after 'eau rouge'), you're starting to drive trough the 'raidillon'.

it drives us locals mad every time we hear visitors speak of 'eau rouge' when in fact they should say 'raidillon'.

quick additional note : on a dry track and yokohama AD08Rs, the 'raidillon' is flat in a NA clio with cup suspension.

i feel i need to step in here and tell you guys the difference between 'eau rouge' corner and the 'raidillon'.

'eau rouge' (red water) is the left-hand corner at the bottom of the hill. it's named after a little stream, running just in front of the corner and underneath the track. in the very very early days, the track kept going left at 'eau rouge' towards the 'l'ancienne douane' (old customs bend) right-hand hairpin.

in 1939, the raidillon was created. a 17% steep incline, starting right after 'eau rouge', going right first and then a left kink at the top. so, from the moment you turn your steering wheel straight (after 'eau rouge'), you're starting to drive trough the 'raidillon'.

it drives us locals mad every time we hear visitors speak of 'eau rouge' when in fact they should say 'raidillon'.

quick additional note : on a dry track and yokohama AD08Rs, the 'raidillon' is flat in a NA clio with cup suspension.
No lift through eau rouge Peter? Just full throttle down the hill and up the hill??

It's also flat in a turbo clio, with semi slicks and B14s. Foot flat to the floor from the exit of La Source with no lifting until braking at the end of the Kemmel Straight.

No lift through eau rouge Peter? Just full throttle down the hill and up the hill??

yup. coming from 'la source' hairpin, you'll hit the limiter in fourth gear about 100 (200 ?) meters from 'eau rouge'. two choices from there ... you stay in fourth (banging into the limiter) and drive the hill up in fourth, shifting up to five after the raidillon. or shift to five and take 'eau rouge' and the raidillon' flat. quite the adrenaline rush.

i'm not super brave behind the wheel, so i always work my way in and make sure tyres are up to temp and at the right pressure.

Reactions: Big Ben
an NA clio loses a lot of momentum up the hill and on the kemmel straight (which is slightly uphil as well). i've noticed that staying in fourth or shifting to five, doesn't make a lot of difference in top speed at the end of the straight.

It's also flat in a turbo clio, with semi slicks and B14s. Foot flat to the floor from the exit of La Source with no lifting until braking at the end of the Kemmel Straight.
4th or 5th sean at eau rouge?
From memory my old 4th is slightly shorter than meg box but I’ll be going faster!! Short shift into 5th maybe

Reactions: peter
4th or 5th sean at eau rouge?
From memory my old 4th is slightly shorter than meg box but I’ll be going faster!! Short shift into 5th maybe

From memory 5th. You'll be in 4th through pretty much every corner with the megane gearbox as 3rd is slightly too short. Best bit is 4th gear 110-110mph through the double left hander at Pouhon.

Reactions: Big Ben and peter