Gearbox crunch - Final straw!

Evening chaps,

Now before I begin, I love my car to bits but this is the final nail in the coffin for me to sell up!

I was driving home from work yesterday and all was going well until pulling away at a round about and into 3rd gear. *CRUNCH*
Exactly the same as my last gearbox. The car is booked in for next Wednesday and luckily I have time off so I do not need to drive it but this will be my 4th gearbox!!!!!! I mean come on! Now I am not sure if I am breaking the thing but fundamentally you put the clutch down, put it in gear and release the clutch right? On the last gearbox I may have driven hard, and it had taken its toll, but this time around I have been driving a lot less spirited.

I have got warranty as it was changed in April (details of my gearbox history below)

Gearbox 1 : Purchased in March 2012 with 18k on the clock from dealer so don't know previous history, had a strange whirring noise from when I purchased the car and was changed around 24k in June 2012
Gearbox 2: Developed the fatal 3rd and 4th gear crunch at around 30k in April 2013
Gearbox 3: Current gearbox, developed 3rd gear crunch yesterday at 37k

Now I am a very placid person but I am starting to get very angry about this issue and once Renault take a look on wednesday to determine what needs to be done, Renault UK will be getting a very angry phone call.

I just want to sell the car now and be done with Renault for good, which is a shame considering my Twingo RS was a fantastic fun little car and so is my Clio!

Rant over...

When you say its developed a 3rd gear crunch, is it doing it everytime you try 3rd?

Mine crunched about 3 times a while ago and I did panic but 25,000 miles later and now with Meg engine its still perfect and hasn't give me the slightest problem.

When you say its developed a 3rd gear crunch, is it doing it everytime you try 3rd?

Mine crunched about 3 times a while ago and I did panic but 25,000 miles later and now with Meg engine its still perfect and hasn't give me the slightest problem.

No every time, exactly the same as before. Luckily I can drive my brothers 172 until its sorted.

well i take it it will be done under warranty?

I'd be asking for a new clutch, well i did and got it.

I have just been through a gearbox experience, now instead of the gearbox being replaced all the linkages have been replaced. This seems to have fixed the problem. Perhaps people are looking in the wrong place and are to quick to blame the gearbox. 4 boxes in a year seems extreme. Just a thought

Surly it must be your driving?! Mines done 84k done loads of track days, and been been supercharged for 20k.

I had a new gearbox last year and this one's not feeling so good now so i decided to take all the worry away.

The 197 got traded yesterday as it's been getting a drain on the wallet with a few repairs needed lately.

Come to the stage where i'll be pleased to see the back of it tbh.

I have just been through a gearbox experience, now instead of the gearbox being replaced all the linkages have been replaced. This seems to have fixed the problem. Perhaps people are looking in the wrong place and are to quick to blame the gearbox. 4 boxes in a year seems extreme. Just a thought

Maybe the linkages do just need to be replaced but when it is warranty work I believe that Renault only change the gearboxes and do not have authority from RUK to change the internals?

Surly it must be your driving?! Mines done 84k done loads of track days, and been been supercharged for 20k.

Possibly could be my driving but at the end of the day its not like I am flat shifting the box or not using the clutch, just pushing the clutch down, change, pull up?
Could be how its been fitted at the dealers (been the same one every time), I wish I knew

Maybe the linkages do just need to be replaced but when it is warranty work I believe that Renault only change the gearboxes and do not have authority from RUK to change the internals?

Could be wrong but I think he means the gear linkage cables that run from the gearstick to the gearbox to select gear... Mine popped out the other week and I lost 5th and 6th gear (was racing a streetfighter at the time), thought I'd ****ed the box, all the gears were in the wrong place but luckily the cable just popped back into its housing.

Possibly could be my driving but at the end of the day its not like I am flat shifting the box or not using the clutch, just pushing the clutch down, change, pull up?
Could be how its been fitted at the dealers (been the same one every time), I wish I knew

Maybe your just extremely unlucky and get all the Friday boxes lol

usually worn linkages don't cause gearbox synchro crunch - as previously said they usually jump out of gear or are hard to select gears on more than one gear!

Are people still getting goodwill claims for these gearbox issues? My car is a 2010 reg and has started making the crunching noise going into 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are people still getting goodwill claims for these gearbox issues? My car is a 2010 reg and has started making the crunching noise going into 4th.

When was the last time the gearbox oil was changed? I changed mine recently and it made a hell of a difference

When was the last time the gearbox oil was changed? I changed mine recently and it made a hell of a difference

Changed it around 4 months ago! I used the expensive American make oil as well.

Issue being I have a track day on the 8th August!

Went out for a quick drive, it only crunches when above around 5k revs. If I take my times when changing it doesn't seem to crunch.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a gearbox, has anyone ever looked into this - http://www.renault-spares.co.uk/new...00-20-16v-gearbox---tl4-024-tl4024-7330-p.asp

Or this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-S...857272?hash=item466509e238:g:0DsAAOSwiCRUmTTg

Also is there a modification at all that people do to prevent this from happening? or is it just replace the synchro for all the gears?

Reactions: sevenfourate