Hello everybody!

NickD

Paid Member
Hi, I'm Nick and this feels a bit like a reformed alcoholic taking a drink they know they shouldn't!
I have just bought an RS 200. I didn't start out intending to do this but it seemed to have been abandoned outside of my unit. Certainly it has sat there for at least a couple of months since the local garage had been working on it. Anyway, it kept winking at me and so a couple of weeks ago I made an offer and as of about 9 hours ago it is mine! Part of the story is that it has done some pretty big miles. As such I expected it to be a bit of a dog. However, having test driven it, it actually does feel very much together and everything seems to work properly. I have even had the wheels off and much to my surprise the alloys are not bent!
So, why have I bought this, as I am usually RWD!? Well it all started back in July last year when I took part in a Citroen C1 race at Cadwell and came third and had one of the best laughs for a long while. Then ending up inheriting a Ztec Fiesta, which is just stupidly good to drive, I thought, as I don't currently have a track capable car, well why not?
So I now own a 60 plate RS200, which I assume has the Cup suspension as it seems quite capable of getting airborne over back road bumps. Other than that I know very little about these cars. I have, for what seems like a very long time now, known a great deal about MX-5's including ending up in the Owners Club. I am most definitely not a polisher though. However I have been on enough forums and Facebook pages for too many years, hence my initial comment!
So, I am not going to start any "what brake pad or tyre" threads as I'm I do supply performance tyres and I am usually the miserable git on the internet throwing their hands up at internet advice.
What I initially thought when buying the car was it would pretty much need a new engine and box straight away as I am told it has done around 220,000 miles, the Odometer says 170,000 but has been clocked. All that scary stuff said, round wheels, brakes that don't look like they have done that mileage and that the car still feels together and taught is maybe putting that part off at the moment. I will do a compression test when I have time and know what the reading should be! But sooner or later I will be looking to put a new engine in, or more to the point looking to pay someone to do it as I leave that stuff to people who do it for a living these days. So apart from some attention required from Dent Masters, it is looking pretty good. 20180109_135519.jpg

Reactions: Ppa and Nelthewire
Welcome to the group. You sound like you know a bit about cars. These things are very addictive & (at least for me) are as much fun as any rwd car. They love to be revved & handle so sweetly. Enjoy yourself. Tons of great information & banter here & we get together for meets a few times a year. I honestly think it's the friendliest car site I know.

Welcome in. Most people slate Renault build quality but surely 200k miles has to tell us something. This could be an interesting car to follow.

Colin

Welcome!
As others have said before, as long as it's well maintained there's no reason why it won't behave, but that is some serious mileage! You've also picked up a very rare and desirable colour too.
There are plenty of engines going up for sale as Megane 225's are hunted down for their giblets to be implanted into the Mk3 Clio's. Worth trying Chris at Beaniesport a call as he does a lot of conversions so probably has them knocking around. Alternatively you might want to go the same route if you want some more power, like @Pav and @Big Ben have in the past year.

Reactions: Pav
Welcome Nick. Enjoy the 200, seems from your story there is enough life left in it :excited:

Welcome aboard.. :french:
wow 200k is a fair amount on a clio, but if looked after there’s no reason why it’ll be a dog!

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum! What a great story, I enjoyed that! Good on you for giving a new lease of life to a great car. Having a bit of mechanical know-how will likely do you a lot of favours and you aren't going into it completely blindly or naively. I hope it all works out well, and perhaps keep us updated with a Project/Progress Thread!

Reactions: Ppa, Pav and LOCKE
welcome:french: Megane turbo engine is definitely something to consider if you're looking to change the engine, it's a very easy (and worthwhile) swap!

Reactions: Pav
welcome:french: Megane turbo engine is definitely something to consider if you're looking to change the engine, it's a very easy (and worthwhile) swap!
That is my plan at some point. I thought it would be sooner than it seems to be required. Next job, to find out the people who go this sort of thing.

May I ask what the appeal of the Megan’s turbo is in the mk3 clio? I have seen loads of people do it. Just never been inside a car with the conversion done or spoke to anyone about it really.

Is that not losing some of the appeal of the 197/200? Or does it turn into an absolute weapon after doing it?

May I ask what the appeal of the Megan’s turbo is in the mk3 clio? I have seen loads of people do it. Just never been inside a car with the conversion done or spoke to anyone about it really.

Is that not losing some of the appeal of the 197/200? Or does it turn into an absolute weapon after doing it?

The torque negates the weight of the mk3, and of course there's the extra power which serves to further highlight how excellent the mk3 chassis is. Mine had a 250 turbo which revved to 7200 and held 200lb/ft at 6k rpm with a 285lb/ft peak, so it didn't lose ANY of the attributes. Ignore anyone who bangs on about "oh it drives like a turbo diesel with no power after 5k" - it simply isn't true and these are people who haven't driven one. @Pav @Big Ben

Reactions: Big Ben
:good:

yeah Sean,myself and few others know our stuff..its just the best out of both worlds really.. @ec123 if you are from around Manchester,you are welcome to hop in mine to see for yourself..

Reactions: Sean197
Megging a 197/200 made my car loads better imo. Daily driving is much easier and quicker due to having nearly double the amount of torque available. And trackdays are more fun because you have the ability to overtake on the straights from having the increased power/torque to go with the outstanding chassis.
It’s true I upshift now at around 6500/6600rpm but at those figures I’m still making 250+bhp and 200+lbft.
Worth considering.
If you’re a diehard NA fan then cool stick with that. Or cost is an issue... That would be the only 2 reasons not to meg imo
Good luck

Reactions: Sean197 and Benno

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C New Members 4
N New Members 4
M New Members 5
Roy New Members 15
C New Members 18