Help!!! Tar removal

I wouldn't bother with anything other than Autosmart Tardis - everything else in comparison makes tar removal seem a chore.

Clay is fine, but no point spending twice the amount of time claying, when you can remove all the tar within 3-5 minutes using Tardis.

Tardis is £15 for 5L. Best stuff you'll ever buy if you have a white/light car!

Fair point. I often use Tardis for my detailing work. It's just not a very nice product for casual users to use, it's also overkill for isolated tar spots. Just to reiterate, I think Tardis is a good product, though, lol.

Fair point. I often use Tardis for my detailing work. It's just not a very nice product for casual users to use, it's also overkill for isolated tar spots. Just to reiterate, I think Tardis is a good product, though, lol.

Yeah fair point. Tarmalade is definitely nicer to use and for an occasional detail, probably a better choice and more readily available :smile:

:mellow: :angry: :swear: :thumb1:
Just give the Tardis a whirl and god its more effort than its worth!

It doesnt remove tar anywhere near as easy as quoted and requires several applications.

Strange never had a problem with it.spray on leave a minute wipe off job done

:mellow: :angry: :swear: :thumb1:
Just give the Tardis a whirl and god its more effort than its worth!

It doesnt remove tar anywhere near as easy as quoted and requires several applications.

Sometimes, Tardis isn't particularly user friendly, which is why something like Tarmalade is often better for personal users. Did you have problems with the Tardis in the heat? because I've found it can dry out very quickly when the weather's hot.

Also, have you got a picture of the contamination you're trying to remove? It might be that it's not tar.

Last edited:
Yeah, you should do both.

Spray it on liberally, let it work its magic for about 3 minutes (not in direct sunlight, not on a hot panel) and spray a small amount on to a MF cloth and wipe it off.

It takes NO effort at all. Sometimes you get HUGE chunks of tar which need a few applications, but this is rare.

Do it look like this?

cdbc4e58.jpg

That was after about a minute.

If it doesn't, then you've bought something else, or something watered down!

Yeah it looked exactly like the picture.

I know were I have gone wrong I didnt wipe it. I sprayed it on and just rinsed it off as per the directions on the bottle. Plus the stuff smells too strong to be watered down.

Ahh okay, rinsing won't do a lot tbh.

Get an old MF cloth, spray some onto that, and it will just wipe off for you.

Sometimes, Tardis isn't particularly user friendly, which is why something like Tarmalade is often better for personal users. Did you have problems with the Tardis in the heat? because I've found it can dry out very quickly when the weather's hot.

Also, have you got a picture of the contamination you're trying to remove? It might be that it's not tar.

I agree its not user friendly. The weather was not an issue. I have not got a picture but its the same as the pic posted by Russ and its defo tar. I will have a look at tarmalade on your site.

I agree its not user friendly. The weather was not an issue. I have not got a picture but its the same as the pic posted by Russ and its defo tar. I will have a look at tarmalade on your site.

No worries, mate. Russ is definitely right about wiping Tardis with a microfibre, rather than rinsing it. I don't know why the Tardis seller provided instructions saying that :s