I think my rear breaks are sticking

michaelsyer

Gold Member
hello all. I have a black 197 I think my back breaks are sticking. When I do a short drive the rear breaks are rather warm but the fronts are still cold. Just need a little confirmation so I can try get it sorted. Forgot to mention I have drilled and grooved discs

Check your handbrake cables aren’t sticking in the inners and holding the arms on the calipers forwards (it’s also common for people with a lack of knowledge to over tighten the handbrake cables so the arms on the caliper don’t sit fully back on the stops! This doesn’t allow the ratchet mechanism to work correctly)

Check your handbrake cables aren’t sticking in the inners and holding the arms on the calipers forwards (it’s also common for people with a lack of knowledge to over tighten the handbrake cables so the arms on the caliper don’t sit fully back on the stops! This doesn’t allow the ratchet mechanism to work correctly)
Awesome thank you will get my friend to help me

If it’s the inners on the cables bubbling and sticking, I just slackened the cables and cut the bubbles section off and applied copious amounts of grease No issues since, it could also be corrosion under the shims in the rear carriers that sit under the pads as rear brakes spend lots of time applied and on

Yea the cables are most likely Eddie had the same problem he thought was callipers. You can pull the arm at the Calliper and disconnect the hooked in cable so you can test if the cable sticks then free to oil the cables. You can put the Megan 36mm spring on the Calliper to help push the cable back and release the brake arm to open position . The cables really need a boot for the exposed end of the cable to slow the ageing process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those springs really help, they wont make it amazing but it certainly aids it. I have started leaving my car just in gear when on the drive to avoid the handbrake sticking on.