Inlet manifold breather

Kyle57

Gold Member
Hi I’ve bought an inlet manifold with the breather blocked off.
The garage fitting it have called to say it can’t be fitted.
What exactly does this do and how do I get it to work?
Regards
Kyle

Are you talking about the pipe that goes to the acoustic valve on the standard air box - the yellow thin pipe in the image below?

2a7677fe-4a03-4dc5-a8d7-282e03101ef6_zpshdv7zs06.jpg

Are are you talking about the PCV valve?

I have no idea. I’ve messaged the boy I bought it off. Why would a breather be blanked?

The pipe that goes to the acoustic valve is redundant if you do not use the standard airbox. Mine has been planked off with a rubber bung for a few years.

The PCV does the same thing as an oil catch can.

I have no idea why it would be blanked off. I think that the PCV valve is there to keep oil out of the inlet manifold so it would be surprising if the manifold did have it blanked off?

Looks like a bolt that should come out with the correct torx bit, not an actual welded blanking plate?

Looks like a bolt that should come out with the correct torx bit, not an actual welded blanking plate?
The bolt comes out but the threaded insert is welded in and it’s a different size for the black thing to clip on.

I suppose the best thing you can do short term is to make an oil catch can from an old can/bottle. It’s very odd and perhaps the original connection was broken off and poorly fixed?

@DS197 do you reckon I could get that threaded insert out and the original fitting from my original manifold pit back in?

You could ask who you bought the manifold from what they had rigged up? I would guess that someone had some kind of threaded fitting that went to a catch can.

The bolt comes out but the threaded insert is welded in and it’s a different size for the black thing to clip on.
It looks to be the same insert but pushed further in and threaded internally. If you could remove it or prise it further out you could reconnect the PCV

You could ask who you bought the manifold from what they had rigged up? I would guess that someone had some kind of threaded fitting that went to a catch can.
That would be a massive vacuum leak. The bung will be permanent and a catch can ran off the engine breather plate.

I’ve messaged the boy I bought off the for sale section here. I guess I’ve just got to try get it out and the original fitting back in somehow