John's GW 200

Great stuff Johnny, tyres can be pretty exciting, even if they're not the most obvious 'mod' to the naked eye.
The tyre debate has always interested me, I'm not sure if I'm even hooked up enough to make an opinion on tyres so always have trouble deciding on what to choose. When I bought my 200, it had mismatched tyres, but 2 new Bridgestone Turanza T001's on the back, so I bought 2 more. I never had an issue with them, but became under the impression these were more a 'sensible' premium tyre than performance focused. The comments on here asking for comparison between the 3 and 4 just boggles my mind - I hope to be more in tune with my tyres, and hopefully Bedford will set a good benchmark going forward. The fact I have 3,000 mile old Pilot SuperSports is an exciting concept, just not looking forward to the £133 per tyre price tag when it comes to replacing them :tongueout:

Reactions: Pav and Johnny 99
Great stuff Johnny, tyres can be pretty exciting, even if they're not the most obvious 'mod' to the naked eye.
The tyre debate has always interested me, I'm not sure if I'm even hooked up enough to make an opinion on tyres so always have trouble deciding on what to choose. When I bought my 200, it had mismatched tyres, but 2 new Bridgestone Turanza T001's on the back, so I bought 2 more. I never had an issue with them, but became under the impression these were more a 'sensible' premium tyre than performance focused. The comments on here asking for comparison between the 3 and 4 just boggles my mind - I hope to be more in tune with my tyres, and hopefully Bedford will set a good benchmark going forward. The fact I have 3,000 mile old Pilot SuperSports is an exciting concept, just not looking forward to the £133 per tyre price tag when it comes to replacing them :tongueout:
Yes Micah, I'm not sure how sensitive to tyre differences I am either. I know that a few years ago I had a set of fairly cheap tyres on a Mitsubishi Galant estate I was running (don't ask!) & I really couldn't wait to change them for something decent. How much difference I will feel between premium brand tyres I don't know. I've used Conti Sport Contact on both my cars for years & was interested to try the Michelins, though I might have stuck with the Contis had I not got the deal on the Michelins as I have found them great both for road use & track days. Generally the Contis are a tad cheaper than the Michelins too. PS4 reviews are great too & things move on so the special offer at ATS sealed the deal.

Reactions: Micah
Spot on Micah..not the most obvious mod but certainly one of the best...think there are plenty out there now days to choose from...

Yes Micah, I'm not sure how sensitive to tyre differences I am either. I know that a few years ago I had a set of fairly cheap tyres on a Mitsubishi Galant estate I was running (don't ask!) & I really couldn't wait to change them for something decent. How much difference I will feel between premium brand tyres I don't know. I've used Conti Sport Contact on both my cars for years & was interested to try the Michelins, though I might have stuck with the Contis had I not got the deal on the Michelins as I have found them great both for road use & track days. Generally the Contis are a tad cheaper than the Michelins too. PS4 reviews are great too & things move on so the special offer at ATS sealed the deal.
John I've never noticed tyre differences before on the road, but you will definite feel a difference on track if there is any. I first had Goodyear asy2 on my Clio and I thought they were excellent both on road and track. Changed to Yoko AD08R and it's very different. More grip than I imagined was possible from a road tyre. Much better feel in corners from stiffer side wall. Slightly more road noise. Bit stiffer ride.
Trackdays highlighted all these differences. Very difficult just from road use.
Hope you enjoy whatever tyre you choose mate!

Reactions: peter and DS197
The comments on here asking for comparison between the 3 and 4 just boggles my mind

The only reason I ask about the 4s is because I honestly hate the 3s I have on. It may be that they had been sat for a while before they were put on my Clio, I'm not sure. They just don't feel 'right' when cornering wet or dry...I just expected a lot more from a premium brand like Michelin...seen a lot of people saying good things about PS4s as well as SuperSports, the reviews of the AD08R in the wet is the only thing doubting me about getting them.

The only reason I ask about the 4s is because I honestly hate the 3s I have on. It may be that they had been sat for a while before they were put on my Clio, I'm not sure. They just don't feel 'right' when cornering wet or dry...I just expected a lot more from a premium brand like Michelin...seen a lot of people saying good things about PS4s as well as SuperSports, the reviews of the AD08R in the wet is the only thing doubting me about getting them.

Yeah I had this exact dilemma - PS4's, super sports or AD08Rs...

I opted for the PS4's in the end, as the SS's were a bit more pricey and I didn't think id see all the extra performance out of them, perhaps if I was going on track. Also has your woes with AD08's, I use mine at unsociable hours in all kinds of weather and the last thing I want at half midnight on a pissing down autumn evening is worrying if im going to end up in the nearest hedge... PS4's were the best all rounder for me!

Don't think you can go wrong with any tyre these days from the premium brands, they are all competing on the narrowest margins...

Reactions: Doogle and Benno
John,maybe in you neck of the woods,you'd better off with some road tyres rather than the Yokos..bet it gets quite cold and miserable in the winter..

Reactions: Johnny 99
John,maybe in you neck of the woods,you'd better off with some road tyres rather than the Yokos..bet it gets quite cold and miserable in the winter..
Yes, as @Chris says I'm currently running winter tyres too. Had a set of the correct side in my garage that had been used on my Alfa. Still in good condition so got another set of rims & used them. Long term the spare rims may get some PS Cup 2s for track days & I'll run the PS4s I've just bought all year. I have another car I can use in extreme weather with winter tyres.

Reactions: Pav
well thats sorted for you then..wish i had a spare car with winter tyres...
Do what I did & get another set of rims for the Clio & bung a set of winters on. Some used wheels are fine. Ideal for winter drives to Czech!

My winters will be going on this year.. Didn't bother last year but I've got 2 dead rears that need replacing so may as well put the winters on rather than wasting brand new tread on PS4s when I can't make the most out of them...

Reactions: Pav
have literally no storage left in my flat,dont have a house..all spare room is filled my car parts..lucky my flat mate isnt bothered...
Oh well, that's a pity.
I'm still not sure about losing my winter tyres for track tyres as I'm not sure I am fast enough on track to warrant them. I'll get another winter, maybe 2 out of my winters though so plenty of time to think about it.
Problem is my other car is rwd & a convertible so not really ideal for winter use. I've never got stuck, but the thought of putting it on it's roof in icy weather doesn't appeal!

John I've never noticed tyre differences before on the road, but you will definite feel a difference on track if there is any. I first had Goodyear asy2 on my Clio and I thought they were excellent both on road and track. Changed to Yoko AD08R and it's very different. More grip than I imagined was possible from a road tyre. Much better feel in corners from stiffer side wall. Slightly more road noise. Bit stiffer ride.
Trackdays highlighted all these differences. Very difficult just from road use.

+1

I'm still not sure about losing my winter tyres for track tyres as I'm not sure I am fast enough on track to warrant them.

when i first drove the clio on track with track tyres, i wasn't really that impressed with how much more grip they provided (was kind of expecting that), i was more impressed with how much more stable the back end felt while braking hard. that alone won't see me going back to driving road tyres on track.

Reactions: Johnny 99
Silly little story from this evening. I was topping up the engine oil & the filler cap slipped out of my fingers & fell down on to the plastic plate below the engine. I struggled for ages trying to retrieve it & even got my finger tips on to it at one point, but only succeeded in pushing it further out of reach. The car was in front of my wife's car in the garage & that's going in for a service 1st thing tomorrow so I really had to get the thing out quickly. In the end I had to call out the AA & the guy managed to get access after moving the wheel arch liner. Moral of the story - hold on tight to the filler cap when removing it. I am the new Clumsy McButterfingers!
WP_20171026_18_05_46_Pro.jpg

^^^^ Like; i wouldn't have been admitting to any of that on a car forum Jon !

"Nope. All's well over here. No problems at all with me"........ :smile:

Reactions: ///M