"Lasers could replace spark plug"

Sounds interesting, BUT spark plugs are very very good at what they do and I think it will take a long time to get any new technology up to the same standard

Read that earlier interesting! How will it make cars more efficient though?

In a few ways, spark plugs need massive voltages to create a spark. Lasers will no doubt use less energy which means less load on the alternator and therefore less load on the engine.

Also, igniting in more than one location in the engine could be used to promote faster flame velocities (Faster burning) and also more uniform burn which can increase power and also reduce emissions.

drevillaser.jpg

I'm pretty sure I read a very similar piece on yahoo 2 years ago. back then there wasn't much difference in the energy used between sparkies and the laser ones as it needed to be quite a powerful laser to ignite but it was being worked on.
they reckoned by 2012 all spark plugs in new cars would be the laser type. we shall see.

***BREAKING NEWS***

They have invented an engine that doesn't need spark plugs.............

Its called a diesel! :lol:

:wink:

Look up the HCCI Paul lol

And knock that you get in petrols is caused by auto-ignition of petrol, just like in a diesel

Oh good, so when your laser plug blows up, it'll cost £100 each to replace..? no thanks, spark plugs work perfectly well at £5 each.

Rich

Unfortunately as you search for more power and more efficiency at the same time cost almost always increases. Fuel injection systems are a prime example and make up roughly half the cost of current hi-end diesel engines, expect injectors to cost ~£500 EACH!