Lewis's RB Clio 197

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by lewishunter98, Aug 17, 2018.

1. lewishunter98

lewishunter98 Paid Member

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    I might do yeah! To be fair though I've had a few hard stops with them and they've seen a bit of B road action but yeah. The dust doesn't bother me too much purely because the car doesn't do much mileage so I can kinda live with it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

2. Bodyboarder81

Bodyboarder81 Paid Member

Car:
    Porsche
    The ds3000 I run also produce mega amounts of brake dust .... enough to make me want to change them for road use !

lewishunter98 likes this.
  3. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    I’ve just switched to Winmax pads. Not sure how they stop so well considering they leave hardly any dust!? DS1.11 were ridiculous on the front of mine for brake dust. Glad to get rid of them (although they did perform well)

4. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Interesting to hear that Ben coming from such a high end pad! The PBS are amazing on the road with a little bit of temp. I can't wait to give them a go on track.

I tried to go out and get some Laguna wheels cheap today so I could mount the direzza's but the guy selling stopped replying :worried:

I keep looking at track days but I'm also a bit scared that I'll break something gearbox related if I book it. So I'm saving up on the side for that and to potentially chuck a diff in while I'm there. I'll probably still be tempted to book a day though at some point as besides that there's really no excuse for me not to go out

Big Ben likes this.
  5. Big Ben

Big Ben Winner - POTM February 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    Didn’t realise you had Direzzas:grinning:!

No reason to break anything doing a track day. Take it steady(ish) and drive with a little bit of mechanical sympathy and touch wood everything will be fine!!

Diff would be a worthwhile upgrade if the box is coming out.

6. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Yeah I was very lucky with them. They're probably good for another day or two but I may aswell use them

Beany likes this.
  7. Beany

Beany Platinum Member

Car:
    RB 200 cup
    Yeah what Ben said, just take it steady, and there’s no reason for anything to break then the worrying will stop and you can enjoy it

8. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Busy Saturday!

Picked up some 200 Cup wheels and painted then white, and mounted the direzza's. Car looks absolutely awesome imo! Took it for a sneaky test drive with the direzza's and even just driving kind of normally the steering response with the dunlops is incredible! So sharp! And you can hear them flicking up stones constantly

6a2bf3756bd60e178747f0acedee2089.jpg

bdd925eb6d5dca7ea340d2170d201ecb.jpg

How good does it look!

Changed the rear caliper too since the OSR decided to seize on me when I wound it back :worried:

But now my handbrake works properly, and braking feels good. Not that It didn't! Very easy job too.

64ca157a18143508a0148e5fd9fe6e98.jpg

Gearbox incoming also

9. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Nothing really that interesting but I figured it's something.

I ordered a small amount of double sided sticky velcro stuff off of eBay, and when I got home from work I decided to finally sort out a position for my sprint booster. Had it dangling ever since I bought it. Quite happy with where it's sitting now.

86b91dffceb2be32f98c20697553fcb4.jpg

While I was at it, I decided I may aswell use a bit for the standard Clio droopy glovebox.

Not a huge improvement, but it definitely sits better none the less.

Before:

d3b9c3a1387c616b9217ef4c711720dd.jpg

After:

c00e9558a00f860e7924956db89a675a.jpg

As you can tell it still droops slightly, but it's better.

As for gearbox recon, I'm still waiting for a price on a quaife differential aswell as the gearbox service..

Beany likes this.
  10. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
    great job..car looks superb :thumb:

11. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Had a quaife arrive through the post yesterday! Things are getting serious.

Found it at a very good price online and had to buy it, just sorting out the rest of the bits for gearbox now so will be getting that done soon. Hopefully within the next month

Only a year and a half (almost) after buying the car

Pav, Big Ben, roblee8g and 2 others like this.
  12. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Needed new tyres as the PS4's were dead and I had already flipped fronts to rears.

Was going to get some ad08rs (new compound) but decided I'd give the NS2R'S a punt for the price. I'd heard good things so I figured why not!

Very impressed with them so far, sidewalls are very stiff so you feel a lot more through the wheel and turn in is way way better than the michelins. Grip levels seem to be a bit better too? Seems to hold on a little better than the pilot sports did, but maybe it's just because I can feel more of what's going on..

Not tested in the wet yet
    147e55dfdcd14b2450b7b44907ad185a.jpg

Sean197, Gorman and massivewangers like this.
  13. lewishunter98

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Not much to update really. just been actually driving and enjoying the car rather than messing with it constantly!

Done a couple little bits here and there such as the sunstrip & headlight washer blanks, but I've mostly been spending too much money and parts whoring

So far I've collected:

Quaife Diff
    200 cup steering rack from RPD
    Powerflex black ARB bushes
    Just purchased a 182 Crank pulley to do an AC delete
    Proline braided clutch line
    Gen clutch kit and slave cylinder

Just need to grab a refurbed box I've lined up from a friend, and that's the last piece to the puzzle.

Then to fit on the drive! bab1b44b21a6189aae67f5f22028ebfc.jpg

Sean197 and Beany like this.