MS 200 fun road and track car - and other car stuff!

Enjoying having a bit of light after work in the evening to tinker, will be even better when the clocks go back. :smiley:

Latest small jobs, the first very small one was taken from Shuv's thread that I was reading through.

IMG_2894.JPG

More prevention than cure on mine I think as I've never noticed a problem with it sagging.

The other job is one I've been looking forward to getting done and has made a really nice difference.

Before:

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

During:

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

After:

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

Ready for my trimmed wheel from Mr. Snappy now, I'm promised it will be done before the end of the month.
Can't wait!! :grin:

WOW! The belts look to be a massive improvement. Really do need to do ours.

And as Christopher said, LOOK at those seats!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Scarbro
I think the seatbelt pics are just to make me green with envy yet again; and get a shot of the seats in my face.

Great job on the belts. To be fair though if they'd have been brown and mouldy i doubt i'd have noticed......

Glad to have helped on the glovebox cure too. Although like you im just a user; i think Micah or Dystant take credit for the Engineering cure :smile:

I've seen you're deliberating fixed buckets Shuv, just to make sure there's no bias here's a pic of my other Recaros (shameless whoring!). They're superb seats if you're considering SPGs.

IMG_1183.JPG

Reactions: Micah and suj
I've seen you're deliberating fixed buckets Shuv, just to make sure there's no bias here's a pic of my other Recaros (shameless whoring!). They're superb seats if you're considering SPGs.

View attachment 17655

You first punch wasnt bad at all. Now you've actually gone and knocked me out :smile:

The upper bolster wings are large arent they. I'm not sure they'd even fit in the Clio easily without going wide-bodied. Or doorless !

:tearsofjoy: It's payback for all the money you will have cost me when I can no longer resist the temptation of suspension and spacers having seen your thread!!

The wings are fairly large but the mx5 is very small and there's a gearbox tunnel to contend with. Given they fit in there I'd be surprised if there was a problem in the Clio.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Something a little different today.

Since adding the mini amp, the stereo is good, but the little 13cm speakers just can't cope with some deep and punchy bass notes so I wanted to add a sub to stop the rattling speakers.

I had been looking at under seat options but I wasn't sure if anything would fit under the Recaros and it would cost me £150+. I've had an old cheap shallow sub and small amp in the cupboard for years that I've been close to throwing out on a number of occasions, so I decided to give it a go.

Happily the sub fits quite neatly behind the passenger seat and I've put the amp under the seat. I never use the rear seats other than putting stuff on the bench and I use the boot all the time so decided the rear footwell was the best location.

It has done exactly what I hoped and rounded off the sound excellently. It's not big window shaking bass, it just takes the strain off the other speakers and provides a little stronger bass.

I've installed it so that the box can be removed without any tools and the amp and bulk of the wiring with just a screwdriver, so it's easy to whip out for trackdays or if I need to use the back seats. Still got room for the tyre pump too! :grinning:

Enlight10.jpg

Enlight11.jpg

Bonus pics:
IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

Couple of quick lunchtime jobs...

New torque arm insert to replace the incorrectly fitted or rather partially fitted effort by the previous owner.

Before:
IMG_2061.JPG

After:
IMG_2976.JPG

Much better! No wonder the manifold flexi went... :rage:

Then I replaced the rain seal on the driver's side:

IMG_2977.JPG

I then applied a little shin etsu (Honda stuff) grease to the new seal and did the other rubbers whilst I was at it.

I checked the passenger side before I ordered the seal and thought it looked ok. Upon applying grease it's apparent that it's about to come apart any time so I guess I'll be ordering another! :tearsofjoy:

Still, getting through the list of small jobs and slowly getting the car back to its former glory.

It's going for a rejuvenating spa day at Birchdown Autos tomorrow so I can't wait to drive it once it been thoroughly refreshed! :blush:

Boot packed up with all the lovely new bits:
IMG_2978.JPG

The to do list reads:
Exhaust manifold
Lower engine and gearbox mount inserts
Engine and gearbox oil
Brake fluid change
New pads and discs
R-clip Brembo pins

Very excited to have it working properly!

And lastly, not Clio related but I thought it was nice snap for my very humble phone shots. One of the shared MX5 just off the Cat and Fiddle last evening:

Enlight12.jpg

Today was the big day for the little Clio...

First impressions on the drive home are super positive!! :grin:

Much bigger difference than I had anticipated, I had been a little worried that I was looking forward to it a bit too much and there wouldn't be any real difference.

The main job was the exhaust manifold swap and the outcome is just as I had been promised. There's no noticeable difference in noise level, no increased flatspot and very happily no knocking on the subframe!

The mounts didn't immediately make themselves known, there's just slightly more 'hum' through the steering wheel but to me it's perfectly acceptable for an oem driver's car.

Edit: I think there's more vibration at low idle, maybe about 8-900rpm. Only noticed that a bit later.

Once you start driving though the mounts reveal themselves as a superb addition with the car feeling much more reactive and cohesive without any increased harshness. For £80 or so they have made a lovely difference.

The gearshift has benefitted doubly with less movement in the engine/box and some fresh oil. Much more precise feeling and smoother too!

Unexpectedly the engine also feels smoother, I changed the oil right after I bought it, so perhaps that has acted as a bit of a flush? Not really sure, it's the same oil but smoother now...

Finally the biggest difference; I had been complaining that the brakes didn't feel as they should, now they most definitely do!! The CL pads, fresh discs and ATE fluid have improved things massively, the brakes are now sharp and powerful. Honestly it feels like the brakes are too big for it! :tearsofjoy:

I'm actually struggling to heel and toe with normal shoes on now, it seems I must apply slightly more pressure as I blip. Such is the sharpness of the brakes now the braking becomes uneven! I've never experienced this before so a great opportunity to improve my technique.

I'm quite tempted to pop my track shoes on and have another go! :smile:

Whilst the car was up on the lift I asked the chaps to have a look at the exhaust as I thought it was louder than it should be. Andy tells me the centre box has been removed which explains it and also means it should be a relatively cheap fix to make it quieter and more useable.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the results, top marks to the chaps at Birchdown, though only an A- as they left some grubby marks on my nice clean seatbelts!!

Sorry for the wall of text, I've only got crappy pictures but they're better than nothing!...

Filthy by the time I got home:
Enlight16.jpg

Had to take a pic of the sexy goldy colour that will soon be gone:
Enlight15.jpg

And I couldn't leave it dirty like that when it felt so good to drive at last:
Enlight14.jpg

Last edited:
Brakes on these are transformed with a refresh with decent parts arent they ! Great news. Do love a firm feel and a good set of stoppers :smile:

How did you enjoy the noise of the manifold ?

Car looks lovely in the clean pics. Yet another superb colour for a Clio that really accentuates its curves.......

Boy, Renault got it right with their colour palette didn't they! There are four colours I absolutely love, thank goodness I didn't buy one new, I would never have been able to choose!

Went out in my dancing shoes and I'm getting on much better with H&T. The little Terrier is just so much fun now! :grin:

I'm not sure how much manifold has changed the sound, the flexi was blowing so badly I honestly can't compare objectively. I really can't feel a flatspot though, dare I say it might have improved the small one I felt before...

What a great update! That's exactly how I like to do things. All at once!

Bet it feels SO much better. Nice one mate.

Oh and I agree about the colours. I think they're all really really good. You're right, they nailed it.

Great update. I didn't really notice the flatsport in mine with the toyo on at first but after a while I started to notice it more when trying to drive it smoothly rather than driving everywhere flat out. Great update though getting and the key things sorted on the car!

I was delighted to get a text saying my steering wheel was done today so I popped around right away and picked it up.

Enlight21.jpg

Enlight22.jpg

I got straight to fitting it, using the how to as a guide. I expected the airbag to be a bit of a struggle and it took a bit of persistence but not a problem. Cruise control buttons needed switching over too but was a fairly simple job.

I'm really chuffed with the results, the interior, and perhaps the whole car is just about where I want it now with a couple of exceptions.

IMG_3038.JPG

Enlight19.jpg

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

Have driven just a little and together with the seats it really makes it feel special! :grinning: