New For Sale rules.

Why can I no longer read For Sale ads?

Even this thread won't allow me access so I don't know - all I get is:

Clio197.net / Clio200.net / Clio200T.net - Error
Clio197.net / Clio200.net / Clio200T.net

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Why can I no longer read For Sale ads?

Even this thread won't allow me access so I don't know - all I get is:

Clio197.net / Clio200.net / Clio200T.net - Error
Clio197.net / Clio200.net / Clio200T.net

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

I get the same message on New For Sale rules as well. You have to be a paid up member now to view the ads.

I'm confused, you shouldn't have ever been able to read ads as a none paid member..

As above though, you need to be a paid member to view for sale threads.

I'm confused, you shouldn't have ever been able to read ads as a none paid member..

As above though, you need to be a paid member to view for sale threads.

Hi Chris.Under the old server you could definitely read all of the ad details.But you couldn't reply,no details of the phone No etc were shown.
For example.I was looking at the Clio 200 in Alien Green that is for sale.I remember reading something about 2 new photos being added and the car now being on Pistonheads.(Well it was for a short while). You could see all the photos of the car.
Now all you see is the first line of the ad.When you click on the link- it then says you have to be a paid member.
I thought it would have been quite a good way to get people to pay the fee,the advertiser wouldn't be bothered by people pestering them with silly offers and sales people.

I guess the access has changed slightly with the swap over to the new forum. Agreed, it could have perhaps generated a bit more interest in memberships the old way - there'd always have been the odd few who saw enough and then PM'd the seller without joining up though...

The thing is though @jimmyd81 and I've never understood this. Surely you want the for sale threads to be visible by anyone.. The idea being you are likely to get a non member to buy a car to become a member.. does that not make more sense?

A person who is already a member is more likely to have a car than a person who is not a member.. I understand not allowing anonymous views at least forum members but surely not paid membership only..

p.s. I've not been here for years just thought I'd have a look :-p

Reactions: Lighty
Hi @adam1942 welcome back! :smile:

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated. I do see your point and it does indeed make sense with regards to sale of cars.

The paid membership-only access to the Classifieds is a historical thing - it was introduced by the forum founder and has continued on with the new owners - they make the rules basically. By being a paid member it shows some commitment to the forum and therefore can give a seller the reassurance that this brings.

Also, the vast majority of adverts tend to be for Parts, therefore this is of course more interest to existing owners of a 197/200/200T. These can often be quite desirable items at good prices, so it's an incentive to join up as a paid member to be able to access these ads.

Hope this clarifies things and thanks again for the question/feedback :smile: