New member Potential buyer

Hi everyone, new to the forum so will have to bear with me!

Looking at getting rid of my current car, (65 plate VW polo GTI 1.8lt 190bhp) and buying a 2010 Clio 3 RS200 Cup. Just wondering if any of the lads on here would know certain things I should look out for at the garage/ things I should ask about the cars history that will potentially effect my owning and running of the car, or just general things I should keep my eyes open for. Cheers!

Welcome mate. First of all, check out the buyer's guide, absolutely brilliant read and should cover most things! http://www.clio197.net/threads/clio-197-buyers-guide.19788/

In summary, the major things to look out for:

- History of cambelt being replaced, £6/700 job so if it hasn't been done I'd personally avoid/come to an arrangement with the garage to have it done before you drive away..
- Take a look down the back of the engine at the manifold flexis, very common to degrade and not a cheap replacement, subframe needs to be dropped etc..
- Crunching in any gear, but mainly 3rd/4th, don't be afraid to give it some on the test drive, sometimes the gears will not crunch when driving normally and you'll think it's fine, only like myself to find a crunching 3rd gear whilst changing on the limiter! Not good..
- Ball joints. Another reasonably common one, obviously not as easy to check on the forecourt..

I've definitely missed some, but as said, the buyer's guide will help you massively.

Good luck in your search!

As above... you can be a paid member which is £5 for the year and gives you access to the above link and the how too section which offers great technical advice into any future mods or even simple parts
Like changing the bulbs etc

Good luck and hoping you find he right car

Reactions: MoxNut
Welcome mate. First of all, check out the buyer's guide, absolutely brilliant read and should cover most things! http://www.clio197.net/threads/clio-197-buyers-guide.19788/

In summary, the major things to look out for:

- History of cambelt being replaced, £6/700 job so if it hasn't been done I'd personally avoid/come to an arrangement with the garage to have it done before you drive away..
- Take a look down the back of the engine at the manifold flexis, very common to degrade and not a cheap replacement, subframe needs to be dropped etc..
- Crunching in any gear, but mainly 3rd/4th, don't be afraid to give it some on the test drive, sometimes the gears will not crunch when driving normally and you'll think it's fine, only like myself to find a crunching 3rd gear whilst changing on the limiter! Not good..
- Ball joints. Another reasonably common one, obviously not as easy to check on the forecourt..

I've definitely missed some, but as said, the buyer's guide will help you massively.

Good luck in your search!
Crackin mate cheers for the reply!

Howdy!

One piece of advice, you will get a shock the first time you drive one.

Coming from a 1.8t you'll find the Clio has bugger all torque, but rev it out and you will love it!

Reactions: Pav
Welcome to the forum!

Feel free to join up as a Paid Member, however just to point out the Buyers Guide is free to everyone! Hope it helps!

Reactions: Beany

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New Members 3
I New Members 1
Red Baguette New Members 7
OutlawAsh New Members 1
wattson New Members 11